My offseason plan

LoganF89

Well once again we are all thinking about the draft, Haskins progression, and next season. So with that said I did a little mock offseason. Hopefully my math is correct or close to it but here we go.

2020 cap space 54.4 million

RESIGN

Scherref, Flowers, Way

TRADE

Trent Williams to Browns 2nd and 4th

Kerrigan and a 6th to Baltimore for a 3rd

CUT

Reed, Norman, Prich 

Alex Smith with insurance policy 9.4 dead money

Total cap 90 mill with cuts/trades

FA

Cody Whithair OC 27 4 years

Anthony Costanzo LT 31 3 years

Josh Gordon WR 28 1 year

Austin Hooper TE 25 4 years

Jack Doyle TE 29 2 years

Xavien Howard CB 26 4 years

Damarius Randall FS 27 3 years

DRAFT

1 Chase Young

Trade 2nd(Browns) 3rd(Ravens) future 2nd to the colts for their 1st we take Ceedee Lamb

#3 CB AJ Terrell Clemson

#4 Sam Ehlinger, stacked draft for QBs he could be there, would like a fall back plan if Haskins flips like we had with Kirk 

#4 OL Trey Smith Tenn. falls bc of health condition, possible blood clots in lungs but gets cleared 

rest BPA

starting offense

QB Haskins

RB Guice

WR Mclearin

WR Lamb

WR Gordon

TE Hooper/Doyle

LT Costanzo

LG Flowers

C Whitehair

RG Scherref

RT Moses

starting defense

DE Allen

NT Payne

DE Ioanids

OLB Sweat

ILB Foster

ILB Holcomb/Hamilton

OLB young

CB Howard

CB Dunbar

S/CB Terrel

FS Randall

SS Collins

I Know many say why not draft a LT, well Costanzo gives us a guy who ca  protect Haskins NOW, and you don’t pass on Chase young to take one. Also Trey Smith is really good a versatile lineman, if he falls he’s a steal, this draft and FA gives Haskins a really good Oline and Solid weapons across the board. People worry about Guice but we keep AP and don’t sleep on Love! We take two productive TEs in FA

Defensively our secondary is where the most help is needed a lot of people have Terrel at the end of round 2 if he last till the 3rd we need to take him. Randall can sure up the FS position and Howard replaces Norman and he can actually cover, If Foster can comeback and produce we should be alright at ILB that’s why I didn’t draft one, I like Holcomb’s progression

Edited by LoganF89
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Kerrigan and a 6th to Baltimore for a 3rd

I would not be willing to dump him for this little.  

Cody Whithair OC 27 4 years

He's not a FA, he's signed through 2024.

Austin Hooper TE 25 4 years

I seriously doubt Atlanta lets him leave. 

Xavien Howard CB 26 4 years

He's not a FA, he's signed through 2023.

e 2nd(Browns) 3rd(Ravens) future 2nd to the colts for their 1st we take Ceedee Lamb

We traded two 2nds with the Colts last year to get back into the first, not sure we'd have to throw in that extra 3rd here.  

Otherwise I like what you did with the mock. 

I like a lot of what you’re doing here. 

I think Hooper would be an excellent addition, given his emergence for the Falcons in the pass game this season — and perhaps a realistic option, as their cap situation appears to be a bit of a mess. 

I like the Williams and Kerrigan trades, I like addressing FS with a veteran in FA, I like pulling the plug on the Smith contract this offseason, and I like making OL a priority. I love Chase Young, and I love Ceedee Lamb. 

Some issues. Xavien Howard signed a big 6-year extension, he’s off the market. I can’t imagine Castonzo leaving Indy (and his cushy spot next to Quenton Nelson) to come here and play out his career on a rebuilding team unless we grossly overpaid him. I like Jack Doyle as a player, and if he came really cheap, I’d be okay with bringing him in behind Hooper — but I think we could address backup TE with a draft pick. Even if he was available (he isn’t), I’m not a big fan of the Whitehair signing, because I think we have a pretty comparable player on the cheap in Roullier. 

As much as I do love Lamb, I don’t think that price gets us up to where he’ll be drafted. I think he’s a legit top 10-15 pick, and I doubt anybody is moving out of the 1st round from that spot unless they’re getting blown away with an offer. And I think if we’re doing something like that, it would have to be for a LT. Otherwise, I think I’d prefer to keep those picks to address multiple spots (OT/WR/ILB being at the top of the list for me). 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Can you explain the implications of cutting Alex Smith?  As far as I know we still have 32M in dead cap space for him.  What is the benefit of cutting him?

No to Josh Gordan

Over the cap says if we made him a post June 1st we don’t lose any more cap space by cutting him, but there will be $21.4 in dead cap space.  Basically we will be paying him $21.4 mil not to play for us, but we’re essentially doing that already.

https://overthecap.com/player/alex-smith/784/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Over the cap says if we made him a post June 1st we don’t lose any more cap space by cutting him, but there will be $21.4 in dead cap space.  Basically we will be paying him $21.4 mil not to play for us, but we’re essentially doing that already.

https://overthecap.com/player/alex-smith/784/

Suppose key there’s a 12 million insurance policy if he’s unable to play we can use so essentially it would be 9.4 mill dead cap

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya put sure you’re correct.  It shouldn’t impact the cap.

I see.  I suspect we will keep Smith on the roster.  We don't really have a cap issue and maybe they play a potential trade or they really are fantasizing about him playing one day.

16 hours ago, offbyone said:

I see.  I suspect we will keep Smith on the roster.  We don't really have a cap issue and maybe they play a potential trade or they really are fantasizing about him playing one day.

might as well keep him as a backup next year and kick colt and case to the curb

• Like 1

17 hours ago, offbyone said:

That insurance policy doesn't affect the cap though, just snyder's bank account?  

Per the CBA (Article 13, Section 6, paragraph IV), they will get cap credits for any insurance reimbursements based on his inability to play. That paragraph reads as follows:

Credit for Salary Forfeited or Refunded. In the event that a Club receives a refund from the player of any previously-paid Salary, or the Club fails to pay any previously allocated portion of a signing bonus (including any amount treated as signing bonus), such amount as has previously been included in Team Salary shall be credited to the Club’s Team Salary for the next League Year. For purposes of this Sub- section, to the extent that they constitute reimbursement for previously paid Salary, insurance proceeds received by a Team as beneficiary to cover the player’s inability to perform services required by his Player Contract shall be deemed a “refund from the player” if (a) the Club or the player purchased the policy (b) the amounts covered by the policy are so specified in the Player Contract; and (c) the policy is made available for inspection upon request by the NFL or the NFLPA.

I assume Eric Schaffer and his pals in the salary cap department did their due diligence in specifying and presenting the terms of the policy in the contract and making it available, so I’m going to assume they’ll get the benefit of that “refund” cap credit. It does look like it wouldn’t come until the league year after the reimbursement is paid out, though, so it might not be an immediate boost to the cap (especially if any legal issues with the payout drag on for a while).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

Per the CBA (Article 13, Section 6, paragraph IV), they will get cap credits for any insurance reimbursements based on his inability to play. That paragraph reads as follows:

I assume Eric Schaffer and his pals in the salary cap department did their due diligence in specifying and presenting the terms of the policy in the contract and making it available, so I’m going to assume they’ll get the benefit of that “refund” cap credit. It does look like it wouldn’t come until the league year after the reimbursement is paid out, though, so it might not be an immediate boost to the cap (especially if any legal issues with the payout drag on for a while).

Thanks.

Slick,  good on them.  I didn't know that was possible.  I am surprised teams aren't employing that tactic more.  

Edited by offbyone

9 hours ago, offbyone said:

Thanks.

Slick,  good on them.  I didn't know that was possible.  I am surprised teams aren't employing that tactic more.  

I’m guessing that the premiums on that sort of policy (high value, relatively high risk of loss) are probably prohibitively expensive for most typical player contracts. 

For a contract like Smith’s, with an enormous guarantee/signing bonus like that, the extra cost of securing insurance is probably worth it in the event of something catastrophic — so it was definitely shrewd of them to do so. They’re not great at a lot of things, but they’re are pretty slick (you nailed the perfect word for it) with a lot of their cap stuff.