GDT Week 10: Packers vs. Panthers (Martinez on an Island Edition)

AlexGreen#20

1 hour ago, n8ghee said:

Good. I'd be pissed too, the staff is not currently putting their players in a position to succeed.

I think this is accurate, and often times gets overlooked.  Fans will sometimes jump to conclusions and say X player sucks because they're continually out of position and getting worked.  I have to believe that no player wants to be a liability, or fail, or look like a booger-eating idiot out there.  Sure, players make mistakes even in the best schemes, but sometimes these players are just out there out of position at no fault of their own.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I think this is accurate, and often times gets overlooked.  Fans will sometimes jump to conclusions and say X player sucks because they're continually out of position and getting worked.  I have to believe that no player wants to be a liability, or fail, or look like a booger-eating idiot out there.  Sure, players make mistakes even in the best schemes, but sometimes these players are just out there out of position at no fault of their own.

There's no doubt that this season has so far been a detriment on Blake Martinez's financial future. 

• Like 1

Peter Bukowski - The Packers have the best red zone offense in the league in point per trip. The Panthers have the worst red zone defense in the league in point per trip.

A lot of Packers fans wanted Brian Burns. Obviously not the whole story with him, but he played 69% of snaps last Sunday (nice) and is not in the stat sheet. Taylor Lewan erased him. Put him on his *** a couple times. Consistently rode him past the QB. It was dominating.

Bill Huber -  Upon his hiring, Matt LaFleur made it clear he wanted to run the football.

“I think anytime you can take as much off the quarterback as possible, that only helps them out in the long run,” LaFleur said in January. “Certainly, Aaron (Rodgers has) got incredible talent and we’re going to definitely showcase that talent, but I just think in your early downs, the more you can stay balanced and keep the defense off-balance and keep them guessing whether we’re going to run the ball or pass the ball, I think that it opens up opportunities for big plays down the field.”

Sure enough, the first three games of the season, the Packers ran the ball 43.8 percent of the time. That was the 10th-highest rate in the NFL. During the second three games, that run rate dipped to 37.5 percent. That was the 24th-highest rate in the league. During the previous three games, LaFleur’s run percentage declined even further, with that 35.7 percent ranking 25th.

While LaFleur’s play-calling has drifted a bit, he has for the most part stayed true to his word. On first-and­-10 – the league’s ultimate 50-50 down – the Packers have run the ball 107 times compared to 119 passes and scrambles. That’s pretty close to balanced. Last year, Green Bay ran the ball a league-low 154 times on first-and-10 compared to 268 passes and scrambles.

Assuming Green Bay can stay out of the second- and third-and-long situations it was mired in last week, expect a more run-centric game plan this week to get the offense back to its roots. As LaFleur said, the focus is driven by matchups. This week’s matchups favor the run. Carolina is 31st in the league with 5.06 yards allowed per rushing attempt.

Even Rodgers, who has never backed down from a passing game gunfight, acknowledged the need to get running backs Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams more involved.

“I think that would help,” Rodgers said. “Based on the way teams have played us, we’ve had some good matchups (in the passing game) the last five or six weeks, but we’ve got to get those guys going. We need to get them the touches. We’ve got to get Aaron 15 to 20 touches and Jamaal 10 to 15 touches. I think that’s when we’re playing at our best, and Matt knows that and I think he said that, as well. We just got kind of behind the sticks too many times and behind in the game and it made us one-dimensional.”

Edited by Leader

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

What I've been saying for a while. It was a dumb decision from day 1 to move Amos into the dime LB spot and take him out of his natural safety position next to Savage. All the guy did was make the play of the game against the Bears when he was roaming the middle of the field at safety, and then we moved him out of position because Greene went down and apparently Burks is too incompetent to see the field in that role whatsoever. 

Need Amos back at safety where he belongs and let Campbell man the dime LB spot until Greene is back. Not sure what you do with Burks at this point. Huge disappointment there. 

I think the real problem is that Oren Burks is not ready or just isn't good.  He is supposed to be that coverage LB type, but he can't find the field.  Redmond and Amos out of position was seen as a better option than Amos and Burks.  At least that is how I have seen it.  If Campbell can get Amos back to his proper position, that should help the defense.

official prediction

Packers 32

Panthers 31

MVS with a 14 yard pass reception with 3 seconds left in the game to win it

MacCaff is held to 115 total yards and 2 TDs

Rodgers throws for over 300 yards, 3 TDs 0 INTs

Jones/Williams rush for over 250 yards combined

Davante goes 8 catches for 107 yards

12 hours ago, Leader said:

Peter Bukowski - The Packers have the best red zone offense in the league in point per trip. The Panthers have the worst red zone defense in the league in point per trip.

A lot of Packers fans wanted Brian Burns. Obviously not the whole story with him, but he played 69% of snaps last Sunday (nice) and is not in the stat sheet. Taylor Lewan erased him. Put him on his *** a couple times. Consistently rode him past the QB. It was dominating.

Lewan is likely an All-Pro this year.

Meanwhile Gary got shutout by the Sam Tevi

Good to see the Twitter guys have already developed an inferiority complex about Gary.

32 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lewan is likely an All-Pro this year.

Meanwhile Gary got shutout by the Sam Tevi

Good to see the Twitter guys have already developed an inferiority complex about Gary.

According to Titans fans, Lewan along with their entire OL has been mediocre and the weakness of their team this season.