GDT Week 10: Packers vs. Panthers (Martinez on an Island Edition)

AlexGreen#20

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

And so now I know where the Micah Hyde era began and ended :)
I knew Cobb was in the mix somewhere to some extent - but PR/KR hasnt been a topic of study for me lately.
I just think - if we could find (and settle......) on some guy with the goods - the unit's performance (in terms or productive yards gained) will improve and help the offense/team overall. Feels like we've been an engine that hasnt been able to fire on all cylinders - or smoothly. Zook took the brunt of it all. Now Zooks not around anymore.

Is it really worth putting your best athletes (starters) on punt coverage for an extra 1 yard per drive?

Could we probably eek some more hidden yardage out of the punt team with a better returner and a better coach, yeah, but in the grand scheme of things it should be way far down the list of concerns.

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is it really worth putting your best athletes (starters) on punt coverage for an extra 1 yard per drive? Could we probably eek some more hidden yardage out of the punt team with a better returner and a better coach, yeah, but in the grand scheme of things it should be way far down the list of concerns.

To quote Travis Bickle: You talkin to me?

Who said anything about putting our best athletes on punt / kick return units? Not me. In fact, I've "argued" against putting Alexander on these units specifically because of the injury risk. 

No. I'm figuring the GBPs will use the same combo of roster talent most other teams do - and who's doing the better job will all come out in the league averages.

The guy catching and running with the ball is the key. Find somebody that can do that - find a threat - you've got something IMO.

My hope is the team has now (finally) identified that talent (Smith) and he doesnt do anything to screw it up and require another change - back to Sheppard (I guess).

I value the (potential) return these return units can give us. (How's that for garbled English?)

Add on: On the spectrum of "threats" - if Smith cant do it and we dont want to risk an encore performance by Sheppard and instead turn the task (back) over to Tramon - we've gone from "threat" to a guy that can catch the ball securely. A necessity - no doubt - but he's not somebody thats gonna do much for us yardage-wise.

So here's to hoping Smith's our guy.

Edited by Leader

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

To quote Travis Bickle: You talkin to me?

Who said anything about putting our best athletes on punt / kick return units? Not me. In fact, I've "argued" against putting Alexander on these units specifically because of the injury risk. 

No. I'm figuring the GBPs will use the same combo of roster talent most other teams do - and who's doing the better job will all come out in the league averages.

The guy catching and running with the ball is the key. Find somebody that can do that - find a threat - you've got something IMO.

My hope is the team has now (finally) identified that talent (Smith) and he doesnt do anything to screw it up and require another change - back to Sheppard (I guess).

I value the (potential) return these return units can give us. (How's that for garbled English?)

Add on: On the spectrum of "threats" - if Smith cant do it and we dont want to risk an encore performance by Sheppard and instead turn the task (back) over to Tramon - we've gone from "threat" to a guy that can catch the ball securely. A necessity - no doubt - but he's not somebody thats gonna do much for us yardage-wise.

So here's to hoping Smith's our guy.

Trevor Davis' had 3 returns for 1 yard in the 2 games he played with us.

Trevor Davis has  9 returns for 94 yards in the 4 games he's played with the Raiders. 

I'm highly skeptical it's the returner.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Quoting one of the most insane and psychologically unbalanced characters in film history and expecting to be right.

LOL Me? You talking to me? I dont need to be right. About a football discussion? About returning punts and kicks? Ha! Nope. Life's too short.

Rather, you're the one that keeps pushing this "right or wrong" button: 

"WHY DO I ALWAYS HAVE TO BE RIGHT PETTINE WHY HAVE YOU PROVEN ME RIGHT....."

I was just being a bit humorous with some movie trivia.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

LOL Me? You talking to me? I dont need to be right. About a football discussion? About returning punts and kicks? Ha! Nope. Life's too short.

Rather, you're the one that keeps pushing this "right or wrong" button: 

"WHY DO I ALWAYS HAVE TO BE RIGHT PETTINE WHY HAVE YOU PROVEN ME RIGHT....."

I was just being a bit humorous with some movie trivia.

You are incapable of taking a joke and I think you might actually be Travis.

20 hours ago, Reaper said:

I MISS THE OLD GAME DAY THREADS

What do you miss about THE OLD GAME DAY THREADS ?

Be the change you wanna see.
The entire internet is at your disposal, take a little spin around Packer Nation and see what you could bring to our bountiful table
Copy, paste, discuss

Playing the role of " Reaper" suggests you are familiar with the ancient meme:

"Reap as ye sow"

If you don't step up and sow, THE OLD GAME DAY THREADS ( whatever that means to you) will languish
The floor is yours... and anybody / everybody else who'd like to contribute some content or insight to the beloved GDT's

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/10/packers-offensive-line-confident-in-bouncing-back-vs-panthers/

Packers offensive line confident in bouncing back vs. Panthers

Bulaga said the Packers are confident in a bounce-back performance against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday.

“I think we’ve put together a good week and there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be able to put that one behind us and play better,” Bulaga said, via Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal. “I think we have a group of guys that can come together and bounce back and put a good performance together.”

Bulaga called last Sunday’s performance “uncharacteristic.” On the first two possessions, the offensive line had three false start penalties, including one each from Bulaga and Bakhtiari, and Aaron Rodgers took two sacks on third down.

More on the OL from Jason Wilde

When Bryan Bulaga and the rest of the Green Bay Packers offensive line had their usual Monday film session, it got ugly. And not just what they were watching up on the screen from their horrendous collective performance in last Sunday’s loss to the Los Angeles Chargers.

“There were no words minced. Everyone was open and honest,” Bulaga said as the Packers prepped for Sunday’s game against the Carolina Panthers at Lambeau Field. “We were very critical of ourselves — and we deserved to be. It was very uncharacteristic.