GDT Week 10: Packers vs. Panthers (Martinez on an Island Edition)

AlexGreen#20

56 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

Going for the TD on the 1-yard-line to end the half was the right call as far as I'm concerned. It's a percentage play. It's a better than 50% chance to get 7 points, instead of a near 100% chance to get three points. And the O-line was getting a good push on most running plays. They just blew it on that one. Such is football. 

But it is a higher percentage to take a chip shot FG and go up by 7 instead of just 4.  With only 2 seconds left if you blow it you don't get ANY points there and damn near cost us the game in the end.

Edited by Pugger

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

But it is a higher percentage to take a chip shot FG and go up by 7 instead of just 4.  With only 2 seconds left if you blow it you don't get ANY points there and damn near cost us the game in the end.

Yeah but situations like that is what made the whole fan base hate MM. Honestly unless it's successful people are going to complain. They took a chance and I don't hate that. The Packers over the years have been burned many times by not taking a chance. Maybe next time it works. Point is, we won. 

53 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, 

Run plays have a success rate of like 60% on the goal line. Passes are like 45%. 

If you want to argue Lewis should have been the only TE, and run it out of a more spread look,  I'd agree,  but this was the right call. 

I guess I'll agree to disagree.  I didn't like the call at the time.  I'd only go for it in that situation if I had more time just in case you don't score.  In the end we got squat.  :-l

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

I got no issue with going for the jugular there and trying for the TD, but at least be consistent. Can't go all out there and then decide to not go for the win by going for it on 4th and 3 on their last drive of the game.

Yeah, I was disappointed that they did not go for the first down at the end there. I always try to think of it from the opposing team's point of view, and I bet the Panthers were happy that the Packers punted. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I guess I'll agree to disagree.  I didn't like the call at the time.  I'd only go for it in that situation if I had more time just in case you don't score.  In the end we got squat.  :-l 

One has an expected points of 4.4. the other has an expected points of 3. 

• Like 1

There are plenty of things that need to be cleaned up from a scheme, coaching, and players perspective. That being said, every week when I am on these game day forums I feel like there is a population of fans who have no idea what the modern day NFL is... I mean look around the league week to week and see some of the upsets, and some of the let downs.  The Falcons beat the Saints today. The Titans beat the Mahomes' Chiefs. Look at what the Steelers have been doing! THE DOLPHINS WON! This is about a season, and our guys did bounce back from an ugly loss. This team is 8-2 going into a bye. There is a lot of positive, but some are already talking about one and done, and yadda yadda yadda. You don't know that. This team could get hot. I am not saying there should not be critiques, and people don't have a right to their opinions, but damn... I hope some of you don't react to disappointments and set backs in your real life like you do on here. This is still a season to be very excited about. Far from over.

on to San Fran. :D

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

Yeah, I was disappointed that they did not go for the first down at the end there. I always try to think of it from the opposing team's point of view, and I bet the Panthers were happy that the Packers punted. 

Did you really want to watch Rodgers throw another misguided 40 yard prayer on 4th and 3? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

There are plenty of things that need to be cleaned up from a scheme, coaching, and players perspective. That being said, every week when I am on these game day forums I feel like there is a population of fans who have no idea what the modern day NFL is... I mean look around the league week to week and see some of the upsets, and some of the let downs.  The Falcons beat the Saints today. The Titans beat the Mahomes' Chiefs. Look at what the Steelers have been doing! THE DOLPHINS WON! This is about a season, and our guys did bounce back from an ugly loss. This team is 8-2 going into a bye. There is a lot of positive, but some are already talking about one and done, and yadda yadda yadda. You don't know that. This team could get hot. I am not saying there should not be critiques, and people don't have a right to their opinions, but damn... I hope some of you don't react to disappointments and set backs in your real life like you do on here. This is still a season to be very excited about. Far from over.

on to San Fran. :D

GDT discussions tend to be more emotional, naturally.  I think we all understand that (well, except maybe you).  Have you also noticed how much more even and objective the discussions are during the week?  

Tell you what Todd, jump over to the Vikings GDT right now.  You’ll be less underwhelmed with us, your fellow Packer fans.

• Like 1