GDT Week 10: Packers vs. Panthers (Martinez on an Island Edition)

AlexGreen#20

2 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

Haven't you been listening to the announcers? They have been telling us for years that Aaron Rodgers is the "master of the play clock." 

Seriously, I've given up on hoping for him to get the ball snapped with plenty of time left on the play clock. As long as he gets the play off in time, I'm fine with it. But he couldn't even do that yesterday--in a home game, no less. 

Yes, this is one aspect of his game that drives me crazy.  

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

At the time, I thought the decision to go for the TD before the half was MLF taking the opportunity to show the team that they were the now the kind of team that isn't afraid to take a risk because he believes in their ability to succeed in that situation.  They failed on that specific play, but point made. Then MLF decided to punt on 4th and 3 from the CAR 38 late in Q4, so now I don't know what to think. The inexcusable delay of game by Rodgers a couple plays earlier probably didn't do anything to inspire MLF's confidence in how the offense was performing at the time. 

4th & 3 at CAR 38:  (3:22 - 4th) (Shotgun) PENALTY on GB, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at CAR 38 - No Play.
4th & 8 at CAR 43: (2:31 - 4th) J.Scott punts 32 yards to CAR 11, Center-H.Bradley, fair catch by D.Moore.

I dont have a problem with the decision.

Taking the delay of game out of the discussion - although - it would be interesting to know the actual reason for the delay. Communications? Decision making delay at a critical late game moment? Rookie HC indecision?

We had two delay of game penalties on that drive......

Going for it - and coming up short - would have been a mistake IMO. For me, the only decision was to kick the FG or not - which was far from a sure thing.

I'd be interested to know the actual field conditions at the 4th & 3 at CAR 38 moment. Kicking a....52 yard (?) FG in blustery / snowy conditions is no walk in the park. We were ahead by 8 at the time and giving CAR mid field position with around 3:15min and all three TOs might not have been wise.

At it turned out, JK uncorked his best punt of the day pinning CAR back deep:

4th & 8 at CAR 43: (2:31 - 4th) J.Scott punts 32 yards to CAR 11, Center-H.Bradley, fair catch by D.Moore.

CAR used *every second* of the remaining time (with help from some really untimely penalties......) to drive those 88 yards.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

4th & 3 at CAR 38:  (3:22 - 4th) (Shotgun) PENALTY on GB, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at CAR 38 - No Play.

I dont have a problem with the decision.

Taking the delay of game out of the discussion - although - it would be interesting to know the actual reason for the delay. Communications? Decision making delay at a critical late game moment? Rookie HC indecision?

We had two delay of game penalties on that drive......

Going for it - and coming up short - would have been a mistake IMO. For me, the only decision was to kick the FG or not - which was far from a sure thing.

I'd be interested to know the actual field conditions at the 4th & 3 at CAR 38 moment. Kicking a....52 yard (?) FG in blustery / snowy conditions is no walk in the park. We were ahead by 8 at the time and giving CAR mid field position with around 3:15min and all three TOs might not have been wise.

At it turned out, JK uncorked his best punt of the day pinning CAR back deep:

CAR used *every second* of the remaining time (with help from some really untimely penalties......) to drive those 88 yards.

The delay of game was intentional. Much easier to punt for the 5 yard line from the 43 yard line than the 38 yard line.

Kicking a 55 yard field goal into swirling winds would have been a brutal decision, especially with as bad as Crosby's footing would have been. He came up short on a 52 yarder going the opposite direction earlier in the game. That's maybe a 50% chance of converting, and it's probably not even that high. We would have been better going for it at that point. 

• Like 2

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

The delay of game was intentional. Much easier to punt for the 5 yard line from the 43 yard line than the 38 yard line.

Kicking a 55 yard field goal into swirling winds would have been a brutal decision, especially with as bad as Crosby's footing would have been. He came up short on a 52 yarder going the opposite direction earlier in the game. That's maybe a 50% chance of converting, and it's probably not even that high. We would have been better going for it at that point.

Good points.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

At the time, I thought the decision to go for the TD before the half was MLF taking the opportunity to show the team that they were the now the kind of team that isn't afraid to take a risk because he believes in their ability to succeed in that situation.  They failed on that specific play, but point made.

That was my thought. It was about sending a message to the team, all gas no ******* brake. That's how I saw it anyways.

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

Then he should have went for the win on 4th and 3 too instead of punting. No half measures

Your being way too hard on the decision makers here. Comparing a 4th & 1 on the goal line against a team that can't stop the run nor is any good in the redzone vs a 4th & 3 on the 40 with 3 minutes left and a 8 point lead. Pin them back and make the young QB beat you which he didn't. 

1. Alexander missed easy interception. 

2. Multiple missed sack opportunities. 

3. Multiple missed grounding penalties. 

That drive should have been ended well before the 1 yard line just didn't end up that way. Still they got the stop when needed. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Then he should have went for the win on 4th and 3 too instead of punting. No half measures

Probably should have went for it there. Definitely should have taken the points at the end of the half. When you get the ball to start the 2nd half, you take the 3 there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Probably should have went for it there. Definitely should have taken the points at the end of the half. When you get the ball to start the 2nd half, you take the 3 there. 

Why would you run a play with an expected outcome of 3 points versus an expected outcome of 4.4ish?

"Always take the points" is a broken narrative relic of a league when games regularly ended in scores of 13-9.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why would you run a play with an expected outcome of 3 points versus an expected outcome of 4.4ish?

"Always take the points" is a broken narrative relic of a league when games regularly ended in scores of 13-9.

No more broken than simply going by analytics. Situations matter in the NFL. You're at home, up 4 , last play of the half, and get the ball to start the second half. I'm taking the points there.