GDT Week 10: Packers vs. Panthers (Martinez on an Island Edition)

AlexGreen#20

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The hard count on the 1 yard line was odd....if anything I would have quick counted with my OL ready to fire off the ball. 

Don't know why people had an issue with the hard count. Catch them jumping and you get 2 cracks at it. False start and you just kick it.

McCoy said we did something presnap that tipped our hand. Bahk said McCoy bailed on his assignment there and using hindsight he and Jenkins should've stayed on the double team.

Obviously McCoy knew the play and that blew everything up. Try and figure out what he saw to tip the hand and clean it up. That's what ruined the play, not the hard count.

25 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I don’t think you should shy away from a play because you anticipate your all pro left tackle to get beat like a drum.

Yeah, I was going to mention that. When you get beat like that, it might not really matter what you had called there.

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Don't know why people had an issue with the hard count. Catch them jumping and you get 2 cracks at it. False start and you just kick it.

McCoy said we did something presnap that tipped our hand. Bahk said McCoy bailed on his assignment there and using hindsight he and Jenkins should've stayed on the double team.

Obviously McCoy knew the play and that blew everything up. Try and figure out what he saw to tip the hand and clean it up. That's what ruined the play, not the hard count.

Could it be that we run behind Lewis on like 75% of his snaps? I'm not even being critical of the decision to do so, it's been successful,  but I went about 60% on predicting our plays presnap from the stands today. This isn't a particularly difficult offense to figure out in most cases. 

2 safeties back=Run behind Lewis

1 safety back=Davante 1v1

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Carolina had the middle stacked with every player on defense.  Liked going for it … hated the play call.  After 10 games there shouldn't be all this cleaning up to do! 

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Could it be that we run behind Lewis on like 75% of his snaps? I'm not even being critical of the decision to do so, it's been successful,  but I went about 60% on predicting our plays presnap from the stands today. This isn't a particularly difficult offense to figure out in most cases. 

2 safeties back=Run behind Lewis

1 safety back=Davante 1v1

Than that should be a red flag … young coach, pedal to the gas … imagination/creativity should be paramount. 

18 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I feel like win or lose versus San Francisco, we’re gonna give the New York Giants their next interim head coach.

I just hope they don't do it before we play. Hate playing against a new coach in his first game mid-season.

Edited by packfanfb

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why would you run a play with an expected outcome of 3 points versus an expected outcome of 4.4ish?

"Always take the points" is a broken narrative relic of a league when games regularly ended in scores of 13-9.

What you are not considering is the circumstances surrounding the decision.  Normally I say go for it but there was a TIME issue here.  If you don't get the TD you come away empty handed and you don't want to waste opportunities in the Red Zone.  This was my lone beef about the decision to go for it at the end of the half instead of taking the sure 3 points with a chip shot FG.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

The hard count on the 1 yard line was odd....if anything I would have quick counted with my OL ready to fire off the ball. 

I think Rodgers should back off of the hard count for a while.  It appears it is screwing up his own guys instead.   ;)

Acme Packing: Week 10 Snap Counts

OFFENSE (68 plays)

Quarterback - Aaron Rodgers 68
Running Backs - Aaron Jones 34, Jamaal Williams 34, Danny Vitale 13
Wide Receivers - Davante Adams 54, Geronimo Allison 42, Allen Lazard 30, Jake Kumerow 23, Marquez Valdes-Scantling 11
Adams’ second game back on the field after his injury showed that he is definitely getting back to full strength. He caught a 38-yard and a 37-yard pass from Rodgers, finishing with seven catches on 10 targets for 118 yards. That now gives him three 100-yard games this season and four games with seven or more catches. While he still has yet to find the end zone, he got himself back on pace for a 1000-yard season. The rest of the receivers struggled in this game. Lazard was next best with three receptions for 27 yards (though he had a drop leading to the three-and-out on the Packers’ first drive), while Kumerow caught both of his targets for 23. Allison had three receptions for just six yards. At this point, Lazard should be getting Allison levels of snaps, given their level of production in recent weeks.Notable by his absence was MVS, who had just one incomplete target all game. The 11 snaps were a season low, and it appears that his knee and ankle injuries are affecting him fairly significantly.
Tight Ends - Jimmy Graham 44, Marcedes Lewis 38, Jace Sternberger 15
Graham, who took a 21-yard pass over the middle and rumbled for 27 yards after the catch, ended up over 50 yards receiving for the third time this year. He did so on just two receptions, however, picking up 11 on his other catch. Sternberger’s snaps are increasing a bit, as he was moved all over the formation when on the field.
Offensive Linemen - David Bakhtiari 68, Elgton Jenkins 68, Corey Linsley 68, Billy Turner 68, Bryan Bulaga 68, Lucas Patrick 2

DEFENSE (73 plays)

Defensive Linemen - Kenny Clark 63, Dean Lowry 35, Tyler Lancaster 19, Montravius Adams 15, Kingsley Keke 11
Outside Linebackers - Za’Darius Smith 64, Preston Smith 62, Kyler Fackrell 29, Rashan Gary 16
The Smiths terrorized Kyle Allen all day, as Preston had two sacks to reach double digits for the first time in his career. Both of his sacks came on third downs, and he finished with four total hits on Allen. Za’Darius had just one assisted tackle, but landed three hits on Allen. Meanwhile, Fackrell made arguably the biggest play of the game, knifing through the line to stuff McCaffrey on the final snap until Preston Smith could help clean him up just short of the goal line.
Inside Linebackers - Blake Martinez 73, B.J. Goodson 20, Oren Burks 4
The Packers lined up with Martinez and Goodson early on, but swapped the run-stuffer out for safety Ibraheim Campbell for much of the second half. Martinez ended with seven tackles, while Goodson had a pair.
Safeties - Adrian Amos 73, Darnell Savage 73, Ibraheim Campbell 42, Will Redmond 5
Amos’ pass breakup on a two-point conversion attempt will not go in the stat sheet, but it looked to be a huge play at the time. He did finish with six tackles and another pass breakup, while Savage had five tackles. Campbell’s return to the field was a welcome one, however, as it allowed Amos to stay back at his normal safety spot. Campbell finished the game with six tackles of his own and a forced fumble, when he stripped McCaffrey on a run to the second level. Though the Panthers fell on the football, it was a great sign for the returning safety, who looks to be a major contributor as a nickel and dime safety moving forward.
Cornerbacks - Jaire Alexander 73, Kevin King 73, Tramon Williams 53
While the Packers played three safeties for much of the game, they also lined up with three corners, trying to find the best matchups against McCaffrey, who is adept at receiving out of the backfield. King ended up with nine total tackles to lead the team, including one for a loss on a screen pass and a pair of pass defenses. Alexander had one breakup and six tackles, while Williams picked up a huge play — an interception in the end zone on a deflected pass.