GDT Week 10: Packers vs. Panthers (Martinez on an Island Edition)

AlexGreen#20

from PackersWire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/11/8-observations-from-the-packers-win-over-panthers/

"The final three plays of the Packers’ first touchdown drive are worth a re-watch. On 3rd-and-9, Aaron Rodgers bought time to his right and found Allen Lazard, who now has at least three catches in five straight games, to extend the drive. There’s a serious trust forming between No. 12 and No. 13. He was targeted on four different third downs. A play later, the Packers got Davante Adams lined up against a linebacker, and he made quick work of the matchup. Watch the patience of the route. Adams does so many subtle things with his feet, shoulders and head to trick defenders. Easy completion. Finally, the Packers dialed up a play Rodgers loved, a split zone run with Marquez Valdes-Scantling serving as the jet action. The design froze many of the Panthers’ second-level defenders. Jace Sternberger crashed down and cut off the backside, and Aaron Jones made Luke Kuechly miss in the hole and scored. Beauty. "

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Agree plus the fact that we get the ball to start the second half.  Was screaming take the points.  Also they had the line stacked to stop the run.  Running into a brick wall.  It's tough to get that yard not always a gimme.  MLF says he would go for it again.  OK fine I'd take the sure points given the situation.

If memory serves were A. Jones and D. Adams on the sidelines?  That is really dumb to not have 2 of your best offensive weapons in for that play.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Norm said:

That video is the most forced thing I've ever seen

He made a couple of really nice plays. Which is about all we get out of any receiver not named Davante Adams. Never going to be an All-Pro but a guy who you can win with. He's actually a NE type of player because he works hard and does his job.

You need some of those guys on your team. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

When 33 has a housecall but you're set on throwing a low percentage go to 17...

Game winner versus the Eagles, game winner versus the Cowboys, game winner versus the 49ers, Long TD to start the Seahawks game, long play versus the Eagles this year, and that's just off the top of my head. Has it really been a low percentage play over these two's careers?

That said, definitely should've come back to this one even in the same game. Same with the screen to Tae where they turned Lazard loose. Not sure why LaFleur isn't coming back to these blown assignments later in the game.

12 minutes ago, Golfman said:

He made a couple of really nice plays. Which is about all we get out of any receiver not named Davante Adams. Never going to be an All-Pro but a guy who you can win with. He's actually a NE type of player because he works hard and does his job.

You need some of those guys on your team. 

For sure, he's not bad to have around. I'm happy with what he's brought. I'm not sure it was worth 90 seconds on NFLN though.

Just now, Norm said:

For sure, he's not bad to have around. I'm happy with what he's brought. I'm not sure it was worth 90 seconds on NFLN though.

For the year, if he has a good one, maybe. For yesterday's game, no absolutely not. 

I did like the segment LT did on our two back rotation though. I love the way our RB's are playing football. I was not a fan of Jamaal Williams until this year, he's really developed into his role. 

55 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That said, definitely should've come back to this one even in the same game. Same with the screen to Tae where they turned Lazard loose. Not sure why LaFleur isn't coming back to these blown assignments later in the game.

That could be somebody seeing things MLF doesnt but not communicating it to him in "Hey, 33 came wide open on that play......"

21 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

I would say that I think we replicated looks from before and after the timeout, which isn't my favorite choice. Also seemed like a stretch play, but that could've just been due to blocking miscues, don't like moving the line of scrimmage in short yardage scenarios. Execution was awful, and the false starts are getting to me at this point.

This was something I was looking at during the game, and if memory serves me correctly (which it doesn't always) Packers came out in a different formation before and after the timeout.

18 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Game winner versus the Eagles, game winner versus the Cowboys, game winner versus the 49ers, Long TD to start the Seahawks game, long play versus the Eagles this year, and that's just off the top of my head. Has it really been a low percentage play over these two's careers?

I think maybe because they are blown assignments, right?  Hopefully you run a play and the defense screws it up like this.

But I don't think Carolina did an even remotely good job of playing defense.  both ILBs play it pretty bad carrying guys up the field when there's someone coming into their zone.  

If you run this exact play again, it's not like the offense did anything spectacular from a play design standpoint is it?  Having Jones as the outside WR on a side of the field with 2 TEs is a nice little wrinkle, but this just looks like assignment poor defense from Carolina, not some sort of schematic OMG play that needs to be run until they stop it.

Keuchley should cover this, and I'd give him the edge over jones in that situation.