(Poll) Todd Monken & Were We Illusioned by OC Success During Last Season's 2nd Half

Mind Character

Questions  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would Todd Monken Make the Positive Difference if He Took Over Play-calling?

2. 2. Were We Illusioned By Freddie's OC Success last year?

• Yes, the success was based on a limited sample size including mostly terrible Defenses (Bengalsx2; Broncos D decimated by injury, Falcons)
    • No, the opponent's didn't matter Freddie was dialed in and better last year.
  3. 3. Should we have kept Gregg Williams as Head Coach?

• Yes, the team would've been more disciplined leading to more wins.
    • No, he was never the long-term solution HC we needed

Many people were thrilled with the Freddie hire. Others were worried about the sample size and whether Freddie the OC could make for a successful HC/OC.

Looking back at last year, many brought up the point then that our success in the 2nd half of the season may or may not be diagnostic of future success because it was mostly against 4 really bad defenses (The Falcons Defense--bad then but look how terrible they are now, The Bengals twice, and the Broncos who literally had 5 DBs injured including there backups backups going down in the game).

We went 5-3 over that stretch of the 2nd half of the season. That was enough to make Freddie the Head Coach of the team in the eyes of many.

Were we illusioned then? With 8 games left, will going 5-3 against the likes of the Bengalsx2, Dolphins, Cardinals, Buffalo, Steelersx2, and Ravens be enough to tell us we're going in the right direction currently and Freddie's the guy? Will we be illusioned again?

If anything, I'd smoke Monken and roll with Freddie and have him delegate more to someone else like Wilks on HC duties and then find a guy to come in and work with Baker and help develop him down the stretch.

Typically coordinators go before the HC. Monken has done NOTHING to warrant staying. Freddie at least had some success in 2018.

I’m surprised that no moves were made after Denver. I wasn’t expecting Freddie to get fired, but something on offense to create some sort of scapegoat and change for the second half. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to repeat the same thing and expect a different result, especially considering that the play carried over to a mediocre opponent.

For the question at hand, I do think giving Todd Monken a shot as the play caller would not be the worst move in the world. Things could not go any worse, right? At the same time, it is not realistic mid season, as it castrates our head coach and puts him on the chopping block before some of his subordinates. I’d more expect Monken to he used as a shield like things happened with Hue. Guys got fired on the offensive staff, when he was the one calling the shots, and eventually he gave up his play calling duties in the off-season.

1. I have no clue, but I think it’s time to find out. Either he’s the issue or a scapegoat.  I’d prefer we give Monken a shot and let Freddie focus on the HC duties, which are more than enough.

2. I don’t believe so.  Our schemes were creative and varied week to week.  He called an aggressive game, took shots down the field kept defenses guessing.  He also seemed to make things as easy as possible for Baker.

3. No.  I don’t know what the answer at HC is, but it’s not a 60 year old man with frosted tips.

I don’t think Monken would do better

we need someone to get Baker under center

Freddie trying time incorporate Monkens spread for the sake of just doing it is going to be his downfall. 

Freddie needs to just go back to last year but he won’t do it because he doesn’t want to not show value in Monken. That will be his downfall

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If anything, I'd smoke Monken and roll with Freddie and have him delegate more to someone else like Wilks on HC duties and then find a guy to come in and work with Baker and help develop him down the stretch.

Typically coordinators go before the HC. Monken has done NOTHING to warrant staying. Freddie at least had some success in 2018.

You really won't give up the "Monken's the new piece therefore it's Monken's fault we're struggling" hypothesis. Monken DOESN"T call the plays and he doesn't lead the offensive meetings.

I get the mental logic of saying A & B were good together last year. This year we added C to A & B and we're struggling. So, it must be C's fault.

But that completely disregards the fact that HC-OCs struggle after transitioning to HC-OC; it disregards the change in the QB Coach; it disregards the fact that the play-caller has the control over what mostly happens on the field.

Todd Haley and Freddie Kitchens called plays out of the same playbook. Freddie made it clear last year that the team didn't have time to install new plays. We saw what a difference the play-caller made. 

Monken is known for explosive play-calling, deep-shots, play-action, and a quick rhythm game mixed in. He's commented that we need to go to Odell more and take advantage of explosive opportunities. I can get not thinking Monken will be better, but attributing blame for our offensive struggles primarily to Monken just doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by Mind Character

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

I don’t think Monken would do better

we need someone to get Baker under center

Freddie trying time incorporate Monkens spread for the sake of just doing it is going to be his downfall. 

Freddie needs to just go back to last year but he won’t do it because he doesn’t want to not show value in Monken. That will be his downfall

Monken in Tampa Bay designed an electric offense over the span of weeks that relied on explosive deep shots to keep the defense on their heels with play-action pass and quick rhythm play designs mixed in as the core of the offense.

We take no deep shots to keep the defense honest and we have no quick rhythm game that isolates 1 on 1 match-ups.

I say he at least deserves a shot at play-calling.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The name alone, amirite?

I mean, he really did a great job of developing Jameis Winston in Tampa, especially with turnovers, and so we brought him in to help develop Baker, who also struggled some last year with turnovers, too. Great idea.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, he really did a great job of developing Jameis Winston in Tampa, especially with turnovers, and so we brought him in to help develop Baker, who also struggled some last year with turnovers, too. Great idea.

Jesus couldn’t save Jameis. But monken did make fitzmagic look like prime Peyton Manning for a while. 

• Like 2