We're on to the bye...

Hunter2_1

Lots to work on, particularly on offense.

But actually, the loss the Baltimore uncovered something positive;

Simple, Up-Tempo O.

The offense ran its plays exclusively out of 11-personnel with up-tempo as a considerable add-on. While it did not lead the team to its ninth straight win, the potential of the package was clearly visible.

All in all, the Patriots ran no-huddle on 36 of their 65 offensive plays against the Ravens. This usage ultimately allowed the Patriots to get back into the game after falling behind 17-0 in the first quarter and proved especially successful from the third quarter on, despite two of the first three drives of the second half ending with turnovers. The plan gave us some of the control of the contest back it had lost when falling behind early. It also wore the Ravens’ defense down.

Tom Brady also pointed this out when visiting WEEI’s The Greg Hill Show on Monday: “That was a good mode for us. I thought we played well in it at times last night. It’s really about good execution. We definitely had some good drives in there.”

Returning Players

Wynn and Harry back soon! 

Wynn we know will be heaps better than Newhouse, and we're hoping Harry can be the redzone target TB desperately needs. Edelman is getting blanketed down there, and TB badly misses Gronk.

It remains on!

last year through nine weeks, the Patriots were 7-2 with a +68 point differential; this year they are 8-1 and +172. New England ultimately got hot at the end of the 2018 season and with a new-found offensive identity and a defense that played its best football went all the way to winning the Super Bowl. If the 2019 version of the team can develop in similar fashion, seeing the same end result is certainly possible.

What are you concerns or predictions going forward? Will we turn our run game around? Will we turn the run D around?

I really think getting Wynn back will do wonders for this offense, and we'll start to see them hit their stride at the perfect time. He's just such an upgrade over Newhouse that it will lift the entire line. You can tell that Brady, while he's still great at moving within the pocket, never feels comfortable with Newhouse back there.

• Like 2

For all the grief we give McDaniels, the offensive gameplan for Balt was top notch. Quick plays, no huddle. Long drives to keep the D fresh, and stop the Balt O getting into a rhythm. The problem was execution. Better blocker, and more practice with Sanu (plus Jules getting his head out of his butt) will do wonders.

We're going to keep coming back to it, but that Edelman fumble was the game changer. Before that they had them on the ropes. Still hurts.

2 hours ago, Iron_man said:

So is this gonna be our other games thread for the week? Since we don't have a game this week.

Any games you guys looking forward to watching?

I reckon Browns will beat Buffalo. Just a hunch, some kind of backlash.

Steelers Rams maaaaybe, but LA should win that

49ers Seahawks is the only good game, but I won't be able to watch

• Like 1

@ChazStandard So I only caught the extended highlights, is that true that the way the game was going - the fumble cost us the victory? From the highlights (you never get the real sense of the game), it seemed Ravens were just capable of marching down the field, and whilst we had found a groove, it seemed even if we did score on that drive (well...probably a FG because the TDs in RZ are terrible right now) Balt probably would have come back at us. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I reckon Browns will beat Buffalo. Just a hunch, some kind of backlash.

Steelers Rams maaaaybe, but LA should win that

49ers Seahawks is the only good game, but I won't be able to watch

Yeah I feel like the Browns are gonna beat Buffalo as well. There is a lot of games I feel could go either way this week. Like tonight's game. Both Chargers and Raiders put up high scores last week but the chargers defense I think has the edge. Seahawks vs 49ers game should be good. Rams should win but I feel like they are gonna lose to the Steelers.

• Like 1

There was an interesting chess match in the Raven game. Did you notice us constantly sending middle linebackers on the blitz up the middle? This actually had the desired affect of shutting down their run up the middle with a double team at the POA. They couldn't get a double team....

The problem is, it created a new issue - it took 1 linebacker out the ball play (because he's taking on an OL) and the Ravens just went East-West instead, and we were left with 1 or 2 LBs only flowing to the ball (usually Dont'a) and they weren't fast enough. Interesting.

37 minutes ago, Iron_man said:

Well guess it doesn't matter when you're facing Rivers. What was that, his 3rd int of the game?

He had Hunter Henry wide open underneath on almost all those plays where he would have easily strolled for the 1st down and out of bounds. Maybe we are spoiled watching Brady in these situations, but man that seemed like the obvious play to make, especially only needing a FG. Rivers tried to put the team on his back instead of taking what the Raiders gave him, which was honestly PLENTY. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

He had Hunter Henry wide open underneath on almost all those plays where he would have easily strolled for the 1st down and out of bounds. Maybe we are spoiled watching Brady in these situations, but man that seemed like the obvious play to make, especially only needing a FG. Rivers tried to put the team on his back instead of taking what the Raiders gave him, which was honestly PLENTY. 

Yep, this was unforgivable and brainless for such a veteran. 

If anyone wants to compare Brady to Rivers (tbf...no one does) then you give them ANY Brady 4th or OT drive to comeback vs what Rivers tried last night. Brady would have hammered Henry again, and again until they took him away, then he would have hit the slot receivers, the WR, the RBs etc and marched all the way down the field. 

Not even remotely bothered about LAC but I'm mad as hell at Rivers lol

Edited by Hunter2_1