Team Building the FUTURE is now!

thebestever6

I just read an article on CBS by Joel Corry (a former NFL agent) and apparently the franchise tag for a Safety projects to be $11.5m. That is incredibly reasonable, so I really wouldn't expect Simmons to be signed to a long term deal unless he's willing to take a fair amount less than his open market value.

Not that it needs to be said, but there is no chance Shelby Harris gets a franchise tag. It's $16m if he counts as a DT and $18m if he counts as a DE. Ain't happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I just read an article on CBS by Joel Corry (a former NFL agent) and apparently the franchise tag for a Safety projects to be $11.5m. That is incredibly reasonable, so I really wouldn't expect Simmons to be signed to a long term deal unless he's willing to take a fair amount less than his open market value.

Not that it needs to be said, but there is no chance Shelby Harris gets a franchise tag. It's $16m if he counts as a DT and $18m if he counts as a DE. Ain't happening.

Harris was a great 2018 story, but he's just too expensive to keep for 2020.   In the Fangio scheme, they can do more with less there.    Given his age, I suspect he'll go where the $$ leads him.   Given how much of a meat grinder position he plays, don't blame him, wish him well if that's the outcome. 

I think we can safely pencil Simmons for 2020 - franchise tag is worst-case, but unless the player wants to set a new market, it's usually a prelude to getting an extension done.   The one factor that works in teams' favor this year to getting extensions done over playing with the tag - the threat of the 2020-21 lockout.   A player who gets an extension done with a big bonus, gets the bonus right away.   This hedges against a franchise tag that pays well for 2019 - but then players lose 2020+ $$ they never get back without a guaranteed multi-year deal with bonus $ up front, if there is a lockout (as with holdouts, lockouts are always losing props to lost career earnings).    We'll see.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I want Eric Ebron in a Broncos Jersey

They're on sale on NFL.com.

Another move TE?   Man, I dunno.  He doesn't block well at all even as a move TE (Kittle, on the other hand, is mostly a move guy, but is a fantastic blocker even when split out wide).   For a Shanny O, that's a HUGE deal-breaker.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah...no thanks. Between Fant and Beck I think you have two legit pieces, with Beck being more of a do-it-all hybrid. If they can find a cheaper blocking alternative to Heuerman, I'm all for that though. 

Heuerman does well when they give him a consistent role, but the problem is they never commit to him being TE2. He will come in the game and catch a nice ball or a TD and then you wont see him again for 2 games.

Either way I think they are set at TE. They have actually invested a lot of draft picks over the last 4 years. It would be nice to see Butt come back healthy next year or Fumagali take a step forward in camp. Hell they even have that one other guy who tore his ACL in preseason that they loved who was tearing it up in TC (Fort maybe?)

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Heuerman does well when they give him a consistent role, but the problem is they never commit to him being TE2. He will come in the game and catch a nice ball or a TD and then you wont see him again for 2 games.

Either way I think they are set at TE. They have actually invested a lot of draft picks over the last 4 years. It would be nice to see Butt come back healthy next year or Fumagali take a step forward in camp. Hell they even have that one other guy who tore his ACL in preseason that they loved who was tearing it up in TC (Fort maybe?)

I think you're right. Thats one position group where any upgrade is a luxury. We're pretty strong and deep with who we have under contract next year.

What're your thoughts on the LB group? Thats another group that looks pretty strong and deep with the guys we've got right now.

Both TE and LB look to me like the only solid and deep position groups we've got.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I think you're right. Thats one position group where any upgrade is a luxury. We're pretty strong and deep with who we have under contract next year.

What're your thoughts on the LB group? Thats another group that looks pretty strong and deep with the guys we've got right now.

Both TE and LB look to me like the only solid and deep position groups we've got.

Ehh Im indifferent about the LBs because there are very little proven commodities outside of Davis who I believe is upgradable. Im not counting Von as a LB for this but AJ Johnson is a clear guy to be the starter, Jewell has looked extremely average in his time here, Davis is 'okay' and Hollins flashed but it was few and far between.

Like somebody else mentioned I think they could do better there and really try to bring in a impact LB to play next to AJ. If Danny Trevathan is available I would love to have him back because right now I dont think Denver is getting enough impact plays out of their LB group next to AJ.

I mean, when was the last time Todd Davis or Josey Jewell had a multiple sack game or a huge INT or a game ending TFL, ect ect. I just think they can get another guy out there in the middle who can be more disruptive than what we currently have.

Lastly, AJ Johnson is 28 years old and will be 29 next season....so just something to think about long term with building depth

Edited by AkronsWitness

OLB looks set, especially if they can bring back Jerry Attaochu for relatively cheap. ILB feels like it's one long term piece away, and that's a position where it also makes sense to add a raw athlete on Day 3 every year. Immediate boost on special teams where we need more athletes + nobody better suited in the business to coach them up than Fangio. If you can bring in a Joe Jones type in the 6th/7th every year that's helpful. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

I would imagine we see an ILB upgrade this year- an athletic type that Fangio likes. I'm not sure that player replaces Todd Davis immediately, but there has to be an eye to the future there. Davis was much better this year than past years, I thought, but the defense changed quite a bit when AJ came in.

ILB is a priority with OT and before WR.

Davis is average and have not a speed to play Fangio scheme's.

This is a position that need an improvement since many years. a speedy ILB to cover TE's is a need to stop Teams like Chiefs or 49ers.

As we have seen this year and last year many opponents exploited the Denver Weakness.

We need to have an answer at ILB and neither Todd Davis , Josey Jewell or AJ Johnson are one. AJ can be a complement but not a leader of this group

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I would imagine we see an ILB upgrade this year- an athletic type that Fangio likes. I'm not sure that player replaces Todd Davis immediately, but there has to be an eye to the future there. Davis was much better this year than past years, I thought, but the defense changed quite a bit when AJ came in.

2 hours ago, French Fan said:

ILB is a priority with OT and before WR.

Davis is average and have not a speed to play Fangio scheme's.

This is a position that need an improvement since many years. a speedy ILB to cover TE's is a need to stop Teams like Chiefs or 49ers.

As we have seen this year and last year many opponents exploited the Denver Weakness.

We need to have an answer at ILB and neither Todd Davis , Josey Jewell or AJ Johnson are one. AJ can be a complement but not a leader of this group

I agree 100 percent with ILB as a priority.  Davis is entirely replaceable in Fangio’s scheme.   If we want to contend legitimately we can’t have the glaring weakness of RB/TE coverage.   And subbing guys in / out just makes us easier to attack.   If we are keeping Johnson as a starter (and we should) the dynamic speed cover / blitz ILB is a priority to insert into the Fangio scheme.   

If it’s a Rd3+ pick then likely we just let Davis play out his final year and live with run / pass subbing until the rookie shows he’s ready for more.   If it’s a mid level FA signing or Rd1-2 pick then you could easily see a roster cut.   Johnson is the safe guy to plan for at ILB. Jewell is still very serviceable as a 3rd LB and in another scheme would fit better as an OK but not stellar starter.  He just doesn’t fit Fangio’s need for a dynamic impact ILB guy.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1