Team Building the FUTURE is now!

thebestever6

I think the personality mesh of Locke and Diggs would be pretty unique. Diggs has some drama to him, but I think playing with a younger, flashier, more emotional QB like Lock would actually help him after having a mechanical choir boy as his QB for the past few years. I could see them feed off each other in a good way. 

Sutton and Diggs would immediately be one of the top WR duos in the league. And we dont have to pay Sutton until the 2022 off season so the pairing wouldn't double up on cost for a few seasons which is nice. I dont think Diggs is overpaid either w/ a 14M cap hit. I expect guys like Phillip Dorsett to get 8-10M and Diggs sure is wroth 4-6M more than him. 

This would be such a good move. I honestly think Diggs has more value than moving up 10 spots in the draft. I expect he can fetch a 1st rounder on his own so I wont get my hopes up for this move. 

I would do 15 and 95 for 25 and Diggs FWIW. 

• Like 1

I am not sure I like the Slay idea, mostly because it would require the cost of a pick, then a deal starting in the 12-15M AV range. I would rather just pony up for Byron Jones and keep my draft picks. 

Byron Jones and Danny Trevathan while resigning Wolfe, trading for Diggs and losing CHJ would be a coup. I would prefer to resign CHJ for a bit less than Jones, but I am biased with his long history here. I am thinking the FO doesn't see him as a true #1 moving forward, which may be the right call. Better to let someone go a year early than a year late. Sucks though, was hoping for an all Denver career out of him. 

I think Kendall Fuller could be a good buy low option that doesn't preclude you from spending on another corner. Only 25 so you might be in a position to get him on a short term prove-it deal. Struggled in Kansas City and hasn't played much outside, though I think he has the ability to play there. He has the traits to thrive in Vic's defense and can also be an option at nickel if Callahan struggles to get on the field again. Pair that signing with Byron Jones, who I'm fine with making him the highest paid CB in football. Jones/Fuller/Callahan with Bausby and Yiadom behind them is a really nice group and frees the Broncos up to go even more offense heavy on Day 2 of the draft. 

• Like 1

I think Jones is so shutdown that you need to overlook the fact he doesnt make plays. He is just totally avoided. 

I like the idea of drafting a feisty, play making DB to put alongside Byron. Amik Robertson is my guy. Give him some safety help and let him make plays / gamble as the QB is forced to play one side and center while avoiding whichever side Jones is on. Amik is only 5'9, but I am all in on the kid. He is a rocked up twitchy monster who can play inside and out. I dont care if his height doesnt his some arbitrary benchmark. 

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Personally not in on Byron Jones, he’s a very good CB but he’s not a playmaker, rather resign CHJ myself and draft a couple of cb’s in the draft

I always take that with a grain of salt. Thats been the knock on Louis Wright for decades, "wasn't a playmaker", "not enough INT's".

Thats because no QB in their right mind challenged him. Still to this day the best CB I've ever seen. Too bad they didn't keep all the stats they do today. I'd love to know what QB ratings were against him, what kind of completion % he allowed, stuff like that.

• Like 1

I haven’t watched Byron Jones at all this year, but I think it’s justifiable to question his playmaking ability.  2 INTs in 5 years and he’s only been a full time CB over the last 2...that’s concerning and can’t be chalked up to teams just avoiding him.  

Chris Harris is a better CB than Jones, but Jones because of his age likely sets the record for CB salaries this offseason.  

That’s not saying Jones is garbage and he makes sense for Denver.  Gives them a young #1 CB for the next 4-5 years who fits the system as a versatile former safety that plays with some physicality.  Based off what I’ve read he shouldn’t be setting the market for CB salaries, but you’re probably get at worst a top 10-15 CB. 

That’s free agency though.  Juwan James shouldn’t be the 3rd highest paid RT in history, but he is.  James is a good player, not an elite one.

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 1

Chris Harris is a better CB than Jones, but Jones because of his age likely sets the record for CB salaries this offseason.  

By advanced statistical measurable, Jones has eclipsed CHJ. 

2019/20 CHJ - PFF 69.9 Targets 73 / Completions 49 / % 67.1 / YPC 14.9 / YPT 10.0 / TD 4 / QB RAT 112.3

2019/20 Jones - PFF 76.1 Targets 64 / Completions 34 / % 53.1 / YPC 11.6 / YPT 6.2 / TD 3 / QB RAT 87.7

Now, the price, locker room presence and continuity of CHJ may enshrine him the better signing, but Jones by nearly all measurables is a better CB on the field. The versatility factor, which the FO clearly salivates over at DB, along with age just make Jones even more attractive IMO. 

With that said, I prefer CHJ at 12M AV on a 3 year deal to Jones at 15M on a 5. 

Darqueze is a nice buy low guy due to injury. His advanced stats are excellent, better than Jones. Not sure on the scheme fit though. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010

20 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think Kendall Fuller could be a good buy low option that doesn't preclude you from spending on another corner. Only 25 so you might be in a position to get him on a short term prove-it deal. Struggled in Kansas City and hasn't played much outside, though I think he has the ability to play there. He has the traits to thrive in Vic's defense and can also be an option at nickel if Callahan struggles to get on the field again. Pair that signing with Byron Jones, who I'm fine with making him the highest paid CB in football. Jones/Fuller/Callahan with Bausby and Yiadom behind them is a really nice group and frees the Broncos up to go even more offense heavy on Day 2 of the draft. 

I love Kendall Fuller (hokie bias), but I think we need to be careful about building a secondary out of nickle/slot CBs. 

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

By advanced statistical measurable, Jones has eclipsed CHJ. 

2019/20 CHJ - PFF 69.9 Targets 73 / Completions 49 / % 67.1 / YPC 14.9 / YPT 10.0 / TD 4 / QB RAT 112.3

2019/20 Jones - PFF 76.1 Targets 64 / Completions 34 / % 53.1 / YPC 11.6 / YPT 6.2 / TD 3 / QB RAT 87.7

Now, the price, locker room presence and continuity of CHJ may enshrine him the better signing, but Jones by nearly all measurables is a better CB on the field. The versatility factor, which the FO clearly salivates over at DB, along with age just make Jones even more attractive IMO. 

With that said, I prefer CHJ at 12M AV on a 3 year deal to Jones at 15M on a 5. 

Darqueze is a nice buy low guy due to injury. His advanced stats are excellent, better than Jones. Not sure on the scheme fit though. 

This past season Jones may have been, but Harris has been a top 5 CB for years and is arguably the best nickel CB in football (interestingly his down year coincided with him not getting near the work he typical does covering slot WRs).  If Denver could play him in his previous role of bouncing between outside and nickel it wouldn’t be an issue, but they can’t because they don’t have the talent or depth on the outside and are paying Callahan (who has very little outside CB experience) to be the teams nickel CB. 

As @Royal_VT posted, Denver doesn’t need more nickel CBs, they need guys who are exclusively outside CBs.  The team has their starting nickel in Callahan and their best outside CB is Bausby who is coming off a serious neck injury that left him without feeling in his extremities for 30 minutes.  This is what makes Jones and some of these more exclusive outside CBs a must get for Denver this offseason.