Team Building the FUTURE is now!

thebestever6

12 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Odds you tag Simmons?

Only guy worth locking up at a 1-year expensive price at tag rates.   Pretty much a given that even his own camp acknowledges (along with GM Elway) that the tag is the fallback option if an extension isn't agreed upon.

Pretty much zero chance he's wearing anything but a DEN jersey in 2020.  The only Q is whether it's a 1-year tag, or a multi-year extension.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Only guy worth locking up at a 1-year expensive price at tag rates.   Pretty much a given that even his own camp acknowledges (along with GM Elway) that the tag is the fallback option if an extension isn't agreed upon.

Pretty much zero chance he's wearing anything but a DEN jersey in 2020.  The only Q is whether it's a 1-year tag, or a multi-year extension.

Remember when we all didn't like him. 

Personally I'd really like us to concentrate on our own right now with maybe one or two acquisitions.

Extend Sutton, should be annually pretty cheap since he's under contract for $4 million for the next two years. Same with Lindsay, they've both earned it but it'll be salary cap friendly for 5 years. Front load them both.

Lots of things we can do with our cash this year. I'd just as soon it be spent securing low cap numbers for established players rather than jumping in neck deep into FA. Gives us lots of options into 2021 and beyond.

8 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Personally I'd really like us to concentrate on our own right now with maybe one or two acquisitions.

Extend Sutton, should be annually pretty cheap since he's under contract for $4 million for the next two years. Same with Lindsay, they've both earned it but it'll be salary cap friendly for 5 years. Front load them both.

Lots of things we can do with our cash this year. I'd just as soon it be spent securing low cap numbers for established players rather than jumping in neck deep into FA. Gives us lots of options into 2021 and beyond.

Under the current CBA, teams aren't allowed to extend drafted players until the start of their 4th year of their rookie deal - UDFA's get in a year earlier, but Sutton literally cannot be extended until next offseason.   Maybe that changes with the new CBA, but this seems unlikely to be a priority. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/how-nfls-rookie-wage-scale-restricts-a-player-like-drew-lock-from-future-earnings

Even if we could extend Sutton, his camp must know how rich WR's get and signing early to save us money and gain him a bit more in the short term would be foolish. 

Lindsay is another story, if we signs for a 3-4M AV deal long term I would be fine. RB's dont get paid and have a small shelf life so on the contrast to Cam he may be inclined to extend. 

On 2/17/2020 at 2:34 PM, jolly red giant said:

Trading for Diggs in a no-brainer for me.

We have a ton of draft picks - and there is no chance all of them make the roster - it could be possible to bundle a couple of lower picks with 25 and move back up if the right player was available.

The only thing that doesnt make sense to me is that this draft is absolutely loaded at WR. Like, you can get a potential starter opposite Sutton in the 3rd round type of loaded. Plus all of the smoke signals from the beat guys is that the Broncos are heavily leaning WR at #15 and Ruggs seems to be the guy.

I would much rather spend a 1st-3rd round draft pick for a rookie WR over having to pay the similar draft capital for Diggs PLUS having to pay him top dollar as a veteran.

Lastly, the Broncos seem to have valued 'leaders' and 'team guys' that are mature in the last few drafts. They just traded away Sanders because he was sort of a diva--similar to Diggs. Diggs personality doesnt seem to align with what Elway has made a effort to bring in over the past two seasons. He complained and acted out when his QB in Minny had poor games and didnt get him the ball or made bad throws. What happens when Lock has a stretch of bad games? Then they will have another Sanders type of personality on their hands who they traded away for those reasons.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

The only thing that doesnt make sense to me is that this draft is absolutely loaded at WR. Like, you can get a potential starter opposite Sutton in the 3rd round type of loaded. Plus all of the smoke signals from the beat guys is that the Broncos are heavily leaning WR at #15 and Ruggs seems to be the guy.

I would much rather spend a 1st-3rd round draft pick for a rookie WR over having to pay the similar draft capital for Diggs PLUS having to pay him top dollar as a veteran.

Lastly, the Broncos seem to have valued 'leaders' and 'team guys' that are mature in the last few drafts. They just traded away Sanders because he was sort of a diva--similar to Diggs. Diggs personality doesnt seem to align with what Elway has made a effort to bring in over the past two seasons. He complained and acted out when his QB in Minny had poor games and didnt get him the ball or made bad throws. What happens when Lock has a stretch of bad games? Then they will have another Sanders type of personality on their hands who they traded away for those reasons.

Even with his salary and personality, Diggs and 25 for 15 is a no brainer. That value is tremendous. Even with a 3rd rounder added to MIN, its a worthy deal. 

The draft is stacked at WR, but the potential of these kids is always too pie in the sky. I would be shocked if more than 3 WR's ended up better than Diggs. 

Getting Lock immediate help is the priority, Diggs is just that. And as I said earlier in a post, I think Lock and Diggs personalities would vibe MUCH better than Diggs and Cousins.

5 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Even with his salary and personality, Diggs and 25 for 15 is a no brainer. That value is tremendous. Even with a 3rd rounder added to MIN, its a worthy deal. 

The draft is stacked at WR, but the potential of these kids is always too pie in the sky. I would be shocked if more than 3 WR's ended up better than Diggs. 

Getting Lock immediate help is the priority, Diggs is just that. And as I said earlier in a post, I think Lock and Diggs personalities would vibe MUCH better than Diggs and Cousins.

While it's an intriguing deal, I'd hardly call it a no-brainer as there are other options IMO. I like the idea of bringing in immediate help as rarely do rookie WR's help a QB in their 1st year. Also, I don't like the idea of trading back in this draft as most drafts have a major talent dropping, hopefully to us at 15. To give assistance, I'd suggest trying to bring in WR Paul Richardson during free agency, he had several good years in SEA prior to his disappointing display in WAS, but in WAS he really didn't have a lot of great QB play, that should change here with lock and Shurmer. There also can be other WR's to bring in that are free agents but if that doesn't work, the MIN deal will probably be available up to the dradft. 

On 2/21/2020 at 4:51 PM, Cutler06 said:

As expected, Prince Amukamara  just got released by the Bears, seems like a natural acquisition given his relationship with Fangio. 

Klis threw cold water on us going after either Prince or Taylor Gabriel yesterday when he was on with Orlando and Sandy on the The Fan. Thus considering the source I wouldn’t hold your breath on either.  

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Klis threw cold water on us going after either Prince or Taylor Gabriel yesterday when he was on with Orlando and Sandy on the The Fan. Thus considering the source I wouldn’t hold your breath on either.  

Seems a bit early in the process to be excluding Amukamara, especially with his familiarity with Fangio's system. Can't say PA is my first choice, but if Chris Harris leaves and Jones signs elsewhere too, we could be looking at some dismal choices, I don't think there is a ton of quality depth at CB in this draft ( haven't got to check into the FA market other than the obvious names)  and Elway has never been the most pro-active GM in free agency, guess it depends a lot on what's going on with the CBA.