Team Building the FUTURE is now!

thebestever6

8 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I'm skeptical that's the case. I think it's more along the lines of- do we find someone to replace him in the draft, and if not, we'll exercise the option.

DJ Humphries set a probable floor for Bolles at 3/45. I would not be rushing to get a deal done by any means. 

Seems more and more evident that free agency is going to center around the CB and DL positions. Not to say we won't use draft capital on some youth there but we can get better immediate returns on free agents on the defense while getting chemistry built surrounding Lock from the draft.

52 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Seems more and more evident that free agency is going to center around the CB and DL positions. Not to say we won't use draft capital on some youth there but we can get better immediate returns on free agents on the defense while getting chemistry built surrounding Lock from the draft.

The draft depth for impact DL and CB is awful.   I can definitely get behind going FA there.   Just get guys with some future upside, all I ask.   A big no on the 1-year stopgap type acquisitions.  

Denver should be spending across the board.  They have the money to bring back Simmons, bring in a top shelf CB, at worst a 3/4 DE of Wolfe’s caliber (or just bring back Wolfe), McGovern to play OC/OG, and a hands down starter at WR.  

I fully expect Denver to be damn near that aggressive as well.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Depends how pricey he gets and who bids but Schobert definitely fits the cover ILB need.   And he’s young.   But he won’t be cheap lol.  

Is it too late to decline Todd Davis option ??  Davis'  $5M salary would look better on Schobert IMO 

17 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Is it too late to decline Todd Davis option ??  Davis'  $5M salary would look better on Schobert IMO 

Well we only committed to 500k more.   So we’d take a 4.5M savings and 1.5M hit if we cut him now as opposed to 5M / 1M last week.   Given there are likely 10+ other teams who’d want Schobert I won’t sweat that 500K option.  Even if Davis is very much a guy we should look to upgrade on it’s no lock we get that FA upgrade.   Schobert and Trevathan are the only obvious Day 1 ILB upgrades available in FA.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

He uses a lot of 3wr sets. Whether due to talent or QB preference though the TE accumulated the bulk of the Slot receptions his last year in Minny and during his NY tenure. 

Yep Fant should eat in that role

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I love the idea of Signing DJ Reader brilliant move

Yes, Reader would make a ton of sense.  I was reading an article a few weeks back on Fangio’s scheme in Chicago.  The base defense and what they ran most often was a 2-4-5.  Obviously personnel varies, but to run this it requires 2 excellent run defending defensive lineman.  In Chicago that was Goldman and Hicks (both 330+ pound players and in Hicks case a 350 pounder).  

Reader and Purcell would give Denver the size, power, and run stuffing ability that the team lacked for that alignment this year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Yes, Reader would make a ton of sense.  I was reading an article a few weeks back on Fangio’s scheme in Chicago.  The base defense and what they ran most often was a 2-4-5.  Obviously personnel varies, but to run this it requires 2 excellent run defending defensive lineman.  In Chicago that was Goldman and Hicks (both 330+ pound players and in Hicks case a 350 pounder).  

Reader and Purcell would give Denver the size, power, and run stuffing ability that the team lacked for that alignment this year.  

In that instance, we're gonna need to upgrade our secondary and we already are needing to put some money into it with the Simmons contract and finding a replacement for CHJ. We do have draft capital but that may not translate immediately. 

Edited by Cutler06