Jump to content
thebestever6

Team Building the FUTURE is now!

Recommended Posts

Quote

He reminds me of Logan Mankins lol he might be a plus starter at guard.

Yep, when I look at Bolles I too think 'this guy is going to be like 7 time Pro Bowl player Logan Mankins'. Especially considering Mankins had made 2 pro bowls by the age that Bolles currently is.

Quote

I didn't hate the Bolles pick

I don't want to pick on you because your such a great fan and active poster, but have you hated any Elway picks? If Lynch is the only guy you can think of, then you may be trusting Elway's talent evaluation a bit too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some further information for us to consider as this threat is supposed to be one that examines the franchise from the strategic perspective, not the tactical or operational. 

According to Spotrac, we go into the 2020 offseason with just a hair over $70m in cap space. That figure is obtained by subtracting the active contracts amount ($146m) from the projected adjusted 2020 cap ($216m). 

From the table, we can see there are two contracts we can get out of that would offer significant cap savings. 

  1. Joe Flacco: $23.6m cap hit, $13.6m dead money = savings of $10m
  2. Ron Leary: $9.375m cap hit, $875k dead money = savings of $8.5m 

Saving goodbye to those two veterans would then net us $88.5m in cap space. That is an extraordinary number and very welcome news for a team that needs to restock its talent base. 

Now, I think the team needs to re-sign three in-house free agents - Chris Harris Jr., Derek Wolfe, and Justin Simmons. All three will get paid handsomely. However, even if we assume that the three combined would take up $35m in cap space (I'm being very generous there) we would still have over $50m to spend in free agency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

What tools? He had no tools. He was raw, but he was nasty, and this was the offseason after Elway complained about how soft everyone was

Stopppppp guy checked every box there is on athleticism and ability he's just Lennt from mice and men between the ears. Don't act like he didn't have first round talent.

Bolles gives effort he just fits more at guard imo he was a bust of a LT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

What tools? He had no tools. He was raw, but he was nasty, and this was the offseason after Elway complained about how soft everyone was. He also has a propensity to look at local talent. Elway, I can promise you, was not considering the long-term value retention of the Bolles pick. We had no OT, his hand was forced, and the pick was telegraphed. I'm sure he talked himself into it.

From a purely physical perspective Bolles is pretty impressive. He his tall with long arms and a plus athlete for his size. I think one thing was they said when he was picked was that they wanted him to add a little muscle mass but that's all. The guy is physically built to play LT but, as I said at the time and as we've all come to learn now, he doesn't have it between to the ears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

don't want to pick on you because your such a great fan and active poster, but have you hated any Elway picks? If Lynch is the only guy you can think of, then you may be trusting Elway's talent evaluation a bit too much.

Hated the Gotsis pick hated the Walker pick wanted sidney Jones lol, hated the Langley pick. Liked the Henderson pick just not the round. Hated the Sylvester William's pick more than the Bolles pick tbh.

Shane Ray I was on the fence bc if he didn't get a DUI draft weekend he'd go top 15 but that shows poor decision making.

The Lynch pick I liked more than trading 3 firsts for Stafford but I preferred Dak with @broncos67 was mad we didn't trade for Kal and get a haul for Von.

Edited by thebestever6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

What tools? He had no tools. He was raw, but he was nasty, and this was the offseason after Elway complained about how soft everyone was. He also has a propensity to look at local talent. Elway, I can promise you, was not considering the long-term value retention of the Bolles pick. We had no OT, his hand was forced, and the pick was telegraphed. I'm sure he talked himself into it.

I wouldn't agree that he had no tools. He was an elite athlete for the position and if you look at the numbers, the majority of left tackle prospects with his athletic measurables have done very well in the NFL. It's obvious what those guys had that he doesn't, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Here's some further information for us to consider as this threat is supposed to be one that examines the franchise from the strategic perspective, not the tactical or operational. 

According to Spotrac, we go into the 2020 offseason with just a hair over $70m in cap space. That figure is obtained by subtracting the active contracts amount ($146m) from the projected adjusted 2020 cap ($216m). 

From the table, we can see there are two contracts we can get out of that would offer significant cap savings. 

  1. Joe Flacco: $23.6m cap hit, $13.6m dead money = savings of $10m
  2. Ron Leary: $9.375m cap hit, $875k dead money = savings of $8.5m 

Saving goodbye to those two veterans would then net us $88.5m in cap space. That is an extraordinary number and very welcome news for a team that needs to restock its talent base. 

Now, I think the team needs to re-sign three in-house free agents - Chris Harris Jr., Derek Wolfe, and Justin Simmons. All three will get paid handsomely. However, even if we assume that the three combined would take up $35m in cap space (I'm being very generous there) we would still have over $50m to spend in free agency. 

Todd Davis & Jeff Heuerman would open up another 9 million. 

They should have room to re-sign anyone they want, add a couple impact free agents and still have at least 10-15 left over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Hated the Gotsis pick hated the Walker pick wanted sidney Jones lol, hated the Langley pick. Liked the Henderson pick just not the round. Hated the Sylvester William's pick more than the Bolles pick tbh.

Sounds good, just making sure lol. Not trying to give you too hard a time.

Quote

Now, I think the team needs to re-sign three in-house free agents - Chris Harris Jr., Derek Wolfe, and Justin Simmons. All three will get paid handsomely.

I am on the fence about bringing Wolfe back unless its quite cheap, but agree w/ the other 2. If CHJR will have us, you resign him ASAP. Screw a R3 comp pick.

With 50-60M to play with, and a defense that's still pretty good, its tempting to simply sign Teddy to a 25M per type deal, especially given his age. End the carousel overnight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's also be REALLY clear about next year - there is actually no dead Flacco money ATM, it's just a paper exercise.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

Flacco's restructure created 13.6M of extra room - but we have a cap rollover from 2020 of 16.4M - that would bring us up from 68.8M to 85.2M.   So really, we should not be looking at Flacco's dead money as an obstacle.    Without a restructure, we'd have just under 3M to work with right now - with the restructure, we've got 16.4M of rollover.   It's literally a 0 sum gain.     Flacco's departure should be a foregone conclusion, given the above.

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They'd still have an option next year of whether to put 10 million on the sheet in 2020 or 2021 too. So, basically do the same thing again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Let's also be REALLY clear about next year - there is actually no dead Flacco money ATM, it's just a paper exercise.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

Flacco's restructure created 13.6M of extra room - but we have a cap rollover from 2020 of 16.4M - that would bring us up from 68.8M to 85.2M.   So really, we should not be looking at Flacco's dead money as an obstacle.    Without a restructure, we'd have just under 3M to work with right now - with the restructure, we've got 16.4M of rollover.   It's literally a 0 sum gain.     Flacco's departure should be a foregone conclusion, given the above.

That's encouraging.  ~ $100m in cap room, getting James and Callahan back and a top 12 pick - hard to imagine next year's team being worse... Of course all optimism depends on Lock's prospects heading into the offseason. 

Klis went on Edwards + Allbright's show last night and talked Lock.  Normally he's an infuriating to listen to but it was interesting to hear (Elway's) perspective on why they're being so patient w/ Lock.  They were unsatisfied w/ how Mizzou's O prepared him and feel he's behind in his experience in digesting defenses in a pro-style offense (more so than fans and media realize) and that he really hasn't been healthy until the last couple weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

That's encouraging.  ~ $100m in cap room, getting James and Callahan back and a top 12 pick - hard to imagine next year's team being worse... Of course all optimism depends on Lock's prospects heading into the offseason. 

Klis went on Edwards + Allbright's show last night and talked Lock.  Normally he's an infuriating to listen to but it was interesting to hear (Elway's) perspective on why they're being so patient w/ Lock.  They were unsatisfied w/ how Mizzou's O prepared him and feel he's behind in his experience in digesting defenses in a pro-style offense (more so than fans and media realize) and that he really hasn't been healthy until the last couple weeks. 

I might have to look that up and give it a listen. Like you, I'm a terribly big Klis fan but he is essentially part of the team's PR machine and obviously well-connected. Interestingly, and unsurprisingly, Nikki J said the same thing last week on Altitude radio that they planned all along to play the long game with Lock and they're sticking to that plan.  

On the other hand, if you listen to The Fan, which has already switched back to all-QB talk all the time, you would think the team has totally lost faith in Lock and have already moved on. Now, that might be good for ratings as nothing gets the casual fans buzzing like the thought of taking a QB early in the draft, but I think it is also a far cry from reality. Again, it might drive ratings, but there is no way they can be convinced Lock is not the answer after 3 weeks of preseason before he got hurt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brandon Stokley is convinced that Drew Lock is not in the Broncos' plans until 2021. 

Any person who talks about the Broncos and has a recording device is more insightful than hosts of The Fan. Awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

That's encouraging.  ~ $100m in cap room, getting James and Callahan back and a top 12 pick - hard to imagine next year's team being worse... Of course all optimism depends on Lock's prospects heading into the offseason. 

Klis went on Edwards + Allbright's show last night and talked Lock.  Normally he's an infuriating to listen to but it was interesting to hear (Elway's) perspective on why they're being so patient w/ Lock.  They were unsatisfied w/ how Mizzou's O prepared him and feel he's behind in his experience in digesting defenses in a pro-style offense (more so than fans and media realize) and that he really hasn't been healthy until the last couple weeks. 

The thumb injury is a 4-6 week injury.  Think Brees timeline.  Unless there’s another injury it’s pure spin.  
 

The “not being ready” angle is entirely fair.  It’s a lot to ask a guy to be a backup without even getting scout team reps.  But it’s also why it’s a no brainer to start getting him into practice reps too.   He’s not going to learn sitting out of practice.  
 

I totally understand they couldn’t get him on the field with Allen needing to take over.  But cutting a guy we sit on Sundays to start his time practicing after this bye week (since we aren’t actually practicing)  is a no brainer if that’s what is needed to get him out there.   The injury call as the reason is just cover.  

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Sounds good, just making sure lol. Not trying to give you too hard a time.

I understand my biggest hated pick by Elway was in 2012 I wanted the Oregon rb over Hillman but I'm glad Hillman was the call. 

It was the round before that round  2 57 . I was at a 21st bday party in Alantic City at best damn sports Bar. Was yelling at the TV pick Russell Wilson pick Russell Wilson. My friend who's party it was said Elway isn't gonna do that he doesn't want Manning to fear for his job joking around. So I say, worry about the Eagles who haven't won a title since 1960. Brock is the pick and I never wanted to fly out to Denver just to kick Elway in the nuts so bad.

You can say it was because of height(Elway loves tall QBs bs), or because he didn't want Manning to fear for his job.

He signed Case Keenum 6'1 for 18 mill annually, and By all accounts liked Baker Mayfield 6'1. I had Wilson graded as a Rich mans Senneca Wallace would of been the perfect backup to Peyton and the perfect transition. If he ever gets canned that's his biggest downfall in my heart of hearts. More than Lynch over Dak.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×