Team Building the FUTURE is now!

thebestever6

57 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Cards picked up DT Jordan Phillips fo 3/$30, seems we should get Reader for that or close to

I'd be all for that, but I expect Reader is going to get more $ than Hargrave.   Until we're down to only 1 serious bidder, bargains aren't likely for the top guys at their position.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Jordan Howard to the Dolphins.  I guess the Broncos were not on board with him.  I hope they can stave off till the draft to get a running back.  The running backs in this draft class seem pretty good where you can select JK Dobbins, Swift, the kid from LSU, the kid from Memphis, CAM.  I'd hold off if I were the Broncos.  I am not too sure, too, if the rest of the free agents are THAT great.  I wouldn't shell out the money for them.  

Reader got more than Hargrave.  Not surprised.   It was down to us or Cin.  

At this point I’m totally ok if we sit out next day or 2.  The impact guys are now gone.   Hargrave & Reader were the 2 DL difference makers.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Reader got more than Hargrave.  Not surprised.   It was down to us or Cin.  

At this point I’m totally ok if we sit out next day or 2.  The impact guys are now gone.   Hargrave & Reader were the 2 DL difference makers.  

They need to sign guys soon so they can field a DL that’s even competent. DTs will keep coming off the board, especially now that the Reader market has played out. 

10 hours ago, French Fan said:

3 penalties in 872 snaps (788 at Guard) 0 sack allowed. Listed Guard but can play Center too. 

12th best guard out of the 80 players who qualified last season.

Great move by Denver

You guys know I follow the Lions as I am right next door to them.  There line has had issues but Glasgow is not one of them.  Good move for us!!  Ps still some linebackers out there...……...

Edited by anewdawn
additional comment

9 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Really feels like Elway thinks that players think of Denver as a destination spot...and it isn’t anymore. 

With the CBA vote and Covid fear ppl are going to take the $.  Can’t really blame them.  

But yeah Elway has to realize no one is targeting DEN as a must-consider destination.   

20 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

They need to sign guys soon so they can field a DL that’s even competent. DTs will keep coming off the board, especially now that the Reader market has played out. 

It’s just that the next tier of DT’s just doesn’t have a lot of separation - Linval Joseph & Mike Daniels & Malik Collins are probably the most recognizable but all have different issues (age, injury, decline, etc.).   If that tier starts getting thinned out, sure, don’t get left out of the cold.   But it’s not nearly so clear or pressing on getting that 1 guy at all costs.  

I hear you on not trying to save pennies for difference makers.   If you were willing to offer 12M AAV, 13M shouldn’t have been the obstacle esp since Hargrave got 13M.   For elite difference makers that’s justifiable.   It’s when you stretch the cap for non-elite talents that it gets really iffy.   That tier the bargain approach works a lot more.  That’s where we’re likely at now.  

I just don’t really get any aspect of the way this team approaches contracts or free agents.

They let the market dictate prices on their own players (hint: they get more expensive) and try to lock in on certain targets but are never willing to win bidding wars for them. That Reader contract is not bad at all. You think he picks the Bengals if the Broncos match? No way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

I just don’t really get any aspect of the way this team approaches contracts or free agents.

They let the market dictate prices on their own players (hint: they get more expensive) and try to lock in on certain targets but are never willing to win bidding wars for them. That Reader contract is not bad at all. You think he picks the Bengals if the Broncos match? No way. 

Agreed.  Reader is a freaking stud and worth that contract.  

Just now, germ-x said:

Agreed.  Reader is a freaking stud and worth that contract.  

100%. From all reports, they’d been locked on Reader since signing Glasgow but weren’t willing to move off their price after Hargrave got 13?  Cincy offered a grand total of 1.25 per year more. If that’s somehow prohibitive, then get out of the bidding and move on to other targets. Same thing happened with Calais. I don’t understand how they keep doing this.