Halfway Mock: "... we're in the endgame now."

jetskid007

Curious as to why if we are drafting 4th why you have us drafting Wirfs? Trust me I like him and he’s probably who I want if Thomas is gone. Just curious as to why you don’t have ya drafting Thomas? Do you think he will be gone by then? Bc I see Tua and Young going before Thomas (hard to tell with the draft order not set). Was just wondering if you grade Wirfs higher than Thomas or if you think Thomas will be gone by 4?

5 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Pick is conditional for 2021. 

Robby was available, but we weren’t willing to trade him away for anything less than a 3rd. I think he’ll receive a hefty contract in FA- one we may not be willing to pay. 

Oh your right. I thought it was a 2020 conditional pick. 

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens with Robby. He could be overpaid because of potential.

22 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Curious as to why if we are drafting 4th why you have us drafting Wirfs? Trust me I like him and he’s probably who I want if Thomas is gone. Just curious as to why you don’t have ya drafting Thomas? Do you think he will be gone by then? Bc I see Tua and Young going before Thomas (hard to tell with the draft order not set). Was just wondering if you grade Wirfs higher than Thomas or if you think Thomas will be gone by 4?

Ultimately, my expectation is kind of explosive. I think Washington will end up with the top overall pick at 2-14 and will take Tua/trade Haskins. I think Cincinnati will also have a 2-14 record, but they will pick 2nd and select Burrow. I think Miami ends up beating NYG/CIN and gets screwed out of a QB, leaving them to pivot to Cam Newton via FA/trade and select Chase Young at #3. That leaves the Jets at #4 with 4 wins with a decision to make between Wirfs/Thomas...

Personally, I think Wirfs is the better prospect, and a rare one at that. I see a bigger, stronger, more versatile, and more gifted player who continues to ascend. I can see how Thomas could be viewed as a better fit as a LT due to his consistency as a technician (a la Ronnie Stanley), but Wirfs is a guy who I feel can be an overpowering force and an elite technician regardless what position he plays.

His overall body of work is impressive. He plays on the right side because Alaric Jackson is more comfortable/natural on the left, but when he went down with an injury this year and in the past, Wirfs has been just as elite playing on the left as he is on the right.

I also like that he comes from Kirk Ferentz's program, so you know he's had some really tough coaching with an emphasis on line play (in case you didn't know, Kirk is known as one of the best OL coaches in history). Iowa has been churning out offensive lineman for decades (Blythe, Bulaga, James Daniels, Andrew Donnal, James Ferentz, Riley Reiff, Brandon Scherff, Marshal Yanda all active in the NFL).

If that list isn't impressive enough on its own, consider that Tristan was the first true freshman tackle to start for Ferentz. Additionally, he also smashed Brandon Scherff's power-clean record... as a FRESHMAN (Scherff was a red-shirt senior when he did 3 reps of 433, Tristan did 4 of 450). 

All the research I've read on him just kind of reminds me of him being kind of like the Saquon of offensive tackles. Was kind of overshadowed in the Big 10, but came in as a freakish athlete with incredible work ethic, and with good coaching his game has fully come together. I think Joe Douglas will be glued to him throughout the process.  

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Ultimately, my expectation is kind of explosive. I think Washington will end up with the top overall pick at 2-14 and will take Tua/trade Haskins. I think Cincinnati will also have a 2-14 record, but they will pick 2nd and select Burrow. I think Miami ends up beating NYG/CIN and gets screwed out of a QB, leaving them to pivot to Cam Newton via FA/trade and select Chase Young at #3. That leaves the Jets at #4 with 4 wins with a decision to make between Wirfs/Thomas...

Personally, I think Wirfs is the better prospect, and a rare one at that. I see a bigger, stronger, more versatile, and more gifted player who continues to ascend. I can see how Thomas could be viewed as a better fit as a LT due to his consistency as a technician (a la Ronnie Stanley), but Wirfs is a guy who I feel can be an overpowering force and an elite technician regardless what position he plays.

His overall body of work is impressive. He plays on the right side because Alaric Jackson is more comfortable/natural on the left, but when he went down with an injury this year and in the past, Wirfs has been just as elite playing on the left as he is on the right.

I also like that he comes from Kirk Ferentz's program, so you know he's had some really tough coaching with an emphasis on line play (in case you didn't know, Kirk is known as one of the best OL coaches in history). Iowa has been churning out offensive lineman for decades (Blythe, Bulaga, James Daniels, Andrew Donnal, James Ferentz, Riley Reiff, Brandon Scherff, Marshal Yanda all active in the NFL).

If that list isn't impressive enough on its own, consider that Tristan was the first true freshman tackle to start for Ferentz. Additionally, he also smashed Brandon Scherff's power-clean record... as a FRESHMAN (Scherff was a red-shirt senior when he did 3 reps of 433, Tristan did 4 of 450). 

All the research I've read on him just kind of reminds me of him being kind of like the Saquon of offensive tackles. Was kind of overshadowed in the Big 10, but came in as a freakish athlete with incredible work ethic, and with good coaching his game has fully come together. I think Joe Douglas will be glued to him throughout the process.  

Respect that point of view

Was brainstorming mock ideas but stopped because it kept coming back to a mock similar to this.

I think this is the ideal mock. It’s reasonable as well. Getting a veteran center is key because it seems like Gase prefers to have a vet in that role and he’ll also help Darnold read blitz.