Is Matt Nagy Ruining Mitch Trubisky?

soulman

Dan Orlovsky says Matt Nagy is ruining Bears QB Mitchell Trubisky

by Alyssa Barbieri

While Chicago Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky has taken a brunt of the blame for his poor performance this season, and rightfully so, there hasn't been nearly as much blame placed on the guy hired to take him to an elite level in Matt Nagy.

Which is something that ESPN NFL analyst Dan Orlovsky has taken issue with.

Orlovsky had some choice words for Nagy when discussing the decline of Trubisky in his third season. Instead of playing to his strengths -- including his mobility that made him a threat every game last season -- Nagy is trying to force Trubisky to fit his offense instead of building his offense around Trubisky.

Orlovsky compared it to another mobile quarterback in Baltimore's Lamar Jackson, who is thriving with offensive coordinator Greg Roman.

"I honestly think the Chicago Bears should be doing the same thing with Mitchell Trubisky," Orlovsky said on ESPN's Get Up on Tuesday. "If we're going to praise the play-caller in Baltimore for utilizing Lamar the way that eh should, then Matt Nagy has to bear the brunt of the criticism when taking a player, and you're ruining him."

The @ChicagoBears misunderstanding and misusing of Trubisky is the total opposite of what the @Ravens have done with and for Lamar Jackson... https://t.co/NtrZSlj8my

— Dan Orlovsky (@danorlovsky7) November 5, 2019

Orlovsky wants Nagy to utilize Trubisky's strengths, which include his mobility. And the evidence is there in Trubisky's performance last season, as well as Jackson's this season.

"It makes no sense when you have evidence how to use a guy, and then you don't use him that way. It makes me mad because we place the label 'bust' on a kid when the coach is not doing his number one job. It's not fair to Mitchell Trubisky."

Agree or disagree?

I can't help but thinking what Orlovsky says makes some sense.  It appears Nagy has altered his whole approach to the offense and Mitch's role in it.  The kind of play making we saw at times last year is notably absent now.

I mused about this weeks ago simply because any regression must have a reason or a cause.

My question then was is Matt Nagy actually coaching Mitch Trubisky against his own natural instincts and I gave a personal example based on musicians to further clarify my point.  If Mitch is being asked to play against his own instincts that would certainly explain at least some of his issues with grasping and running this offense.  This is much the same mistake we made with Jay Cutler.  Is it being repeated?

9 minutes ago, soulman said:

Nagy is trying to force Trubisky to fit his offense instead of building his offense around Trubisky.

If this IS the case then Nagy and Pace need to have a talk because this was not what Matt Nagy was brought in to do.  If Pace's objective has been to build a team around a mobile QB who can win both with his legs and his arm and Nagy is working to convert Mitch into an Alex Smith type game manager that could very well be why we're seeing such tremendous regression.  It does make some sense.

Edited by soulman

That's tough to say... I think Nagy is trying to teach Trubisky his system instead of tailoring his system to the QB. The latter is what many NFL teams are doing and is why you are seeing instant success from some of these QBs.

The former is why I keep saying this offense takes 3 years to feel comfortable and 5 years to master, but nobody wants to listen. We can't have it both ways.

Either Nagy builds his offense around the strengths of his QB or we be patient.

His entire thesis is that Mitch isn't good enough to run an NFL offense. I agree that Nagy should adapt, but the central point he makes is that Mitch cannot run the offense.

He also said that Mitch missed 1 open receiver the entire game, which we know is patently false.

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

His entire thesis is that Mitch isn't good enough to run an NFL offense. I agree that Nagy should adapt, but the central point he makes is that Mitch cannot run the offense.

He also said that Mitch missed 1 open receiver the entire game, which we know is patently false.

Is it?

Edited by G08

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

Is it?

It is.

His thesis is that Mitch cannot run Nagy's offense and you need to scale it way back to run something like the Ravens run. His entire premise is that you need to admit your QB is not good and adapt to accommodate that.

Which I agree with. Mitch is not good and we need to stop trying to force him to be something he is not.

Just now, WindyCity said:

It is

-Robinson on 3rd down

-Burton in the seam when Braunecker is uncovered crossing the field.

-Miller on the short hook on the play he took a sack

That is just the ones that are screen shotted on Twitter. In Canada we no longer have access to the all 22.

Well worth the trade for Universal Healthcare, I would think ;)

• Like 2

For nearly 3 years now he is (still) missing passing concept reads that (some) high school kids make and missing open throws that high school kids make.  I know it is way harder in NFL, but you still need to be able to understand concepts, make proper reads and make open throws some of the time as you learn.   And not just on a white board, but on grass.  

I know he has not had help from O line much this year in a lot of games, but he has a plethora of moments where he could have made a read or he could have made a throw and he has not capitalized on nearly enough of them.  Even factoring in his limited experience.    I know he has had drives and moments, but the percentage is not high enough. 

I screamed from roof tops give him time to develop since the draft, but he has to show an up arrow and more progress than he has.  

Right now it just looks like when lights are on the internal processor does not move with enough RAM or whatever metaphor you want to use.  

I don't think Nagy is at fault.  I think MT doesn't have ' IT.'   Nagy's offense is not that hard, no NFL offense is.  How smart do you think many of these players are?  Almost anyone on this board could learn conceptually in a month of study and teaching.   

I am sure MT knows the offense.  He can't DO the offense.  Few people can.  Very few.  It takes a lot of talent, poise and a quick mind with bullets flying at you in a high pressure environment.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

That's tough to say... I think Nagy is trying to teach Trubisky his system instead of tailoring his system to the QB. The latter is what many NFL teams are doing and is why you are seeing instant success from some of these QBs.

The former is why I keep saying this offense takes 3 years to feel comfortable and 5 years to master, but nobody wants to listen. We can't have it both ways.

Either Nagy builds his offense around the strengths of his QB or we be patient.

Why not though?

Why can't Nagy run kind of like a hybrid offense and do a lot of things his QB is comfortable with while sprinkling in the "system" concepts?

If Nagy is hellbent on making Mitch learn his "system" instead of making it simpler and easier for the offense to generate points and is sacrificing wins in the meantime by doing so then he is either a really big idiot or a genius.

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Why not though?

Why can't Nagy run kind of like a hybrid offense and do a lot of things his QB is comfortable with while sprinkling in the "system" concepts?

If Nagy is hellbent on making Mitch learn his "system" instead of making it simpler and easier for the offense to generate points and is sacrificing wins in the meantime by doing so then he is either a really big idiot or a genius.

He has already

-I formation

-More play action

-More half field high/low reads