Thanksgiving is AWESOME

Shanedorf

4 hours ago, Dome said:

turkey is overrated, ham is pretty good when it's not overcooked (it usually is), so prime rib for thanksgiving is the one you want.

Co-sign on the prime rib. I have a turkey, but I always have something else to go along with it. Last year was pork tenderloin and prime rib, this year I'm thinking beef wellington and rack of lamb. Might even smoke some ribs, I don't know.

I like to think of turkey as a really big side dish, surrounded by smaller side dishes, all of the prime rib...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dome said:

don't forget a mountain of pastries for breakfast to stretch your stomach for the main course later.

I want to belittle you for this, but you have your PhD in food, I trust your judgement in these matters.

So, this sounds like a learning opportunity for me. Please, tell me more.

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Co-sign on the prime rib. I have a turkey, but I always have something else to go along with it. Last year was pork tenderloin and prime rib, this year I'm thinking beef wellington and rack of lamb. Might even smoke some ribs, I don't know.

I like to think of turkey as a really big side dish, surrounded by smaller side dishes, all of the prime rib...

I make turkey because I like turkey sammiches with all the leftovers the week after.

day of, i'm not wasting any valuable stomach space on turkey.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I want to belittle you for this, but you have your PhD in food, I trust your judgement in these matters.

So, this sounds like a learning opportunity for me. Please, tell me more.

Wake up

Eat mountain of pastries

Go to couch while stomach stretches, probably fall back asleep.

When theĀ pain stops and/or you wake up, it's probably time for first dinner, and you'll enjoy it more now that you gave your stomach the proper amount of foreplay.Ā 

I've never really got the hype with Thanksgiving.Ā  Turkey is decent and sandwiches with leftovers is nice, but most of the other culinary accouterments associated with the holiday don't really resonate with me.Ā  Turkey, mashed taters, gravy and some bread product is all i really get out of it.Ā  Not enough to build a whole holiday reverence around imo.Ā  Plus, the whole reason for the season is a bit fraught with problematic associations that are a bit tough to really get behind.

Christmas is still very much where it's at.Ā  Especially since it's more than a day of festivities, and comes with other great holidays like Boxing Day right after, which > Black Friday, 'cause it's basically perfectly set up to buy yourself anything youĀ didn'tĀ get during the holiday season, once it's all said and done.

Pumpkin is my favorite kind of pie next to apple. I bake it pretty regularly this time of yearĀ just in case nobody brings it on Thanksgiving. Normally that wouldn't happen, but we're having the holiday at my brother's place this year.Ā HeĀ and his wife are kind of new-agey, so you never know what they will and will not prepare.

In any case, I have taken measures so that my November will not be pumpkinless.Ā ;)

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

That is some breddie veggie abomination.

Agreed.Ā  Dressing needs cornbread and those pieces are way too big no matter what you put in there.

7 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Pumpkin is my favorite kind of pie next to apple. I bake it pretty regularly this time of yearĀ just in case nobody brings it on Thanksgiving.Ā 

I don't understand the pumpkin hate at all.Ā  I love that stuff. Good for a pie, good for pasta, good in burritos, good for soup.

Pumpkin pie is the best pie.Ā  Even better than pecan.

• Like 2

So tell us about the best and worst Thanksgivings of your life.

My best was 2000Ā when I visited my uncle in southern Minnesota. He's probably the only hog farmer in the U.S. who wears a kilt and is into techno music. Quite a character, as we say up here. The family was thrilled to see me, the meal was brilliant, and I ended the day by exploring spooky abandoned houses after dark with my cousin.

2012 was a tough one. I was living alone, away from most of my family and working my most depressing job ever at Walmart. (The shoplifting was blatant; one guy tried to wheel a cart full of unpaid merchandise out the doorĀ and one of our managers, a small woman,Ā stood right in his way and yelled "CAN I HELP YOU, SIR?") When I couldn't make it to the family meal, my grandparents invited me to their place for a separate dinner. They saved the holiday for me, that's for sure.

Edited by y*so*blu

As a kid: Extremely overrated.

As a teen/college age/super hungry kid: Underrated.

As a grownup who doesn't see their extended family a much as they should: extremely underrated.

Thanksgiving is the ****, this thread is spot on, and if you want my killer Brussels sprouts recipe, give me a hell yeah.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

So tell us about the best and worst Thanksgivings of your life.

Best: almost every thanksgiving from my childhood until I graduated was pretty much the same. Hard to differentiate any from the group, all were great.

Worst: Thanksgiving 2010. I was in Iraq and the reason it was the worst is it was a complete waste of time. Nothing to do with being away from the family, that part is easy. Basically it was like any other dinner in Iraq but it took 3X as long to get your crappy food. Plus my team was stuck doing some bs inspections on our trucks the entire day and night. I skipped all the other holiday dinners the rest the time I was deployed.

• Like 1