GDT Week 10: Ravens @ Bengals

TheVillain112

16 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

That guy must be related to Finley. He's been talking him up since before the draft. NFL GMs on the other hand, don't see Finley as starting material.

NFL GMs also thought Lamar Jackson should be a WR or RB, and that Trubisky is better than Waton/Mahomes, etc...

Finley fits what Zac Taylor is trying to do, just like Jackson fits what Greg Roman does as an OC...

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

That guy must be related to Finley. He's been talking him up since before the draft. NFL GMs on the other hand, don't see Finley as starting material.

Never met Finley in my life and never been to the east coast in my life. Scouts are way dumber than you think. 

I just get QB obsessed during draft time, like I watch every snap of the Top 10 Projected QBs from their past two seasons. Takes a long time but this is what I like to do in Jan-Apr. 

He was my QB2 behind Murray (Murray is gonna be special). And a Mid 1st Round Grade. He was also McShays Top QB Prospect entering last years season before he got downgraded to 4th or 5th (I disagree with McShay downgrading him).

I’ve told you why I like him. A+ Pocket Presence. Unbelievable, really. Best since Wentz. His Football IQ is A+. He understands what he is seeing pre snap and makes adjustments. He knows what he is seeing during a play and makes progressions better and faster than anyone in this class. Guess what? I said he’d destroy the wonderlic and score 40+. And you know what, he did. 

His Mobility is only like a C+ but it’s absolutely better than Dalton. 

His accuracy on all three levels is outstanding. He puts it where it needs to be caught. Always. 

His touch is utterly amazing. Best touch I’ve ever scouted. 

Release is IDENTICAL to Thomas Edward Brady. Such a solid release.  This guy has been QBing since 4 or 5, no question. Mechanics are just too good. 

Now, his big critique, doesn’t have a fire it in there arm. This is true. He does not. This is why he was a 4th Rounder. But what scouts will find out, with his tools, he doesn’t need that type of arm. His touch is so good that he’s not gonna leave balls floating like Dwayne Haskins does. 

I don’t go with the media or even look at rankings before watching all their tape. It’s straight from scratch. I knew about Wentz and loved him before the media was force feeding him to you. Reason I keep propping Finley up is directly related to Tom Brady. No one said ever “That guy is gonna be a Top 10 QB”. I want it on record that Finley was a miss, I saw it, and scouts need to re-evaluate the way they scout QBs. 

Could I be wrong? SURE. 100%. Bengals Line could David Carr him and he could lose all confidence forever. Or I could just be downplaying that his arm isn’t a big issue, when it really is. 

At the end of the day though, I’m a guy on a forum with nothing to lose. That’s another thing with scouts. If they go against the grain and popular opinion, and wrong, they’re fired. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Tank, Tank, Tank...

When you have an owner/FO that always makes 'business decisions' and winning is secondary, you can't blame the players when they are making business decisions as well...

Oh yeah, AJ definitely saw his shadow.  Six more weeks of Auden Tate.

I don't care what AJ says.  He's not playing this year.

5 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Classic trap game. This one terrifies me - especially with a QB you have no film on and the Raven Killer of all Ravens Killers potentially coming back for his first game. 

AJ won't be playing.  Ravens should win easy.

40 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

AJ isn’t gonna play all year which means the Bengals won’t fork out an extension, which means he’ll be franchised which means we’ll have an unhappy AJ on our hands, which means we may have seen the last of AJ Green as a Bengal

I still think they get a deal done. But man what a train wreck so far. 

9 hours ago, theJ said:

I still think they get a deal done. But man what a train wreck so far. 

What makes you say that? From the way AJ is talking it sounds like we’re lowballing him hard already, and being out for possibly the entire year won’t make us anymore generous in the offseason.

43 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

What makes you say that? From the way AJ is talking it sounds like we’re lowballing him hard already, and being out for possibly the entire year won’t make us anymore generous in the offseason.

I still think he wants to be in Cincinnati, despite all this crap.  And they want him.  Plus, deals don't happen when there's months left to the deadline.  They happen at the deadline.

The question is if they're dumb enough to let another Andrew Whitworth situation unfold.  If yes, then you'll be correct.  If they've learned anything, then they'll get the deal done at the last hour.

• Like 1

A normal team would look at their options if AJ doesn't sign an extension. They can tag him for 1 year at about 17 mil or let him walk and get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick in 2021. So if they want to keep him, the beginning point for negotiations would be 17 mil.

The way the Bengals do it is they look at his availability and production over the last couple of years and set themselves a price. If that price is 11 mil per year, they won't go higher. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

A normal team would look at their options if AJ doesn't sign an extension. They can tag him for 1 year at about 17 mil or let him walk and get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick in 2021. So if they want to keep him, the beginning point for negotiations would be 17 mil.

The way the Bengals do it is they look at his availability and production over the last couple of years and set themselves a price. If that price is 11 mil per year, they won't go higher. 

At this point, i'm guessing they're off on salary, guarantees, and years.

Probably offered him something like 2 or 3 years, at $14m/year with maybe 25% of that guaranteed.  I'm sure he's looking for a 4 year deal, more in line with the top of market on salary and guarantees.

The thing is though: the FO had to know what the demands were before they decided not to trade him.  So by not trading him they've already basically agreed to his terms.  So just drive this home.  Stop jerking around and just move onto the next thing.  They're full of cap space, and have basically no one else to extend because the rest of the team sucks.  Who cares if you overpay him?

But you're correct - they don't look at it that way.  Which is to say, they're inflexible and don't know how to adjust their system when it doesn't fit the situation.