What are your requirements?

Mox

On 9/10/2017 at 9:02 PM, Bullet Club said:

The other day I was thinking of how fast guys can shoot up the radar (Trubisky, potentially Cardale had he entered early) and get drafted high and it got me thinking what the minimum requirement for that really is. So I have a few variations of the same question for you guys. How many games does a guy need to play before you select him day one in the draft? 

1. Assuming he has elite tools and elite production 

2. Assuming he has elite tools and good production 

3. Assuming he has good tools and elite production 

This is a hard question to answer without more context. In order to figure out a guy has elite tools and elite production, we'd need some games (same with the others). Putting an exact number on that is tough. If a guy impressed me enough in 4 games, I'd draft him first day without thinking twice if I bought into his character/intangibles.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

This is a hard question to answer without more context. In order to figure out a guy has elite tools and elite production, we'd need some games (same with the others). Putting an exact number on that is tough. If a guy impressed me enough in 4 games, I'd draft him first day without thinking twice if I bought into his character/intangibles.

Hypotheticals are always tough when it comes to evaluations when you're used to just using film. My goal was to simplify it down to a few basic parts and just assume the rest fit whatever your personal criteria is. Your answer is exactly the type I was trying to get though.

On 9/12/2017 at 3:00 PM, Bullet Club said:

I guess more of what I'm trying to get to here is how much you need to see before you're comfortable taking a guy in the first. If a guy with elite tools who plays excellent for three games enters the draft is that enough? Cardale pushed the limit of that theory but he returned to school so we never found out.

It always comes down to their last season. How much have they improved and how good are they at developing that raw elite talent and making use of it on the field of play. Cardale was as raw as you can be and although he likely gets picked in round 1 after winning the NC game, it would be a huge gamble based on a very small sample and if I was a GM, he would absolutely be a boom or bust prospect and I would not touch him in round 1, but of course, I am not likely to be fired since I am only a pretend GM and real GM's do worry about their jobs at the draft table.

Of course, your assuming he is given elite intangibles, because in a lot of ways, intangibles are more important than elite skill and far more important than production, because you will be a flop even with all the skill/production in the world, if your intangibles are mediocre, re: mental toughness, leadership qualities and pocket presence etc. etc.

Archived