theJ

Opinions on Superflex

I'm curious how many others are playing with superflexes, and if you're a fan of the format or not.

In my long standing Dynasty league, there's a proposal on the table to change our flex spot to a superflex.  We're thinking of changing it because we play with a salary cap, and typically QB's are cheap ($5-10 on a $200 budget for a good one) and RB's are expensive ($30 for a mediocre one, $55 for a good one).  We're thinking it would help mirror real life a little better than the current format.

I like the format, I feel that the flex position should be open to all offensive positions. 

On 11/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, theJ said:

I'm curious how many others are playing with superflexes, and if you're a fan of the format or not.

In my long standing Dynasty league, there's a proposal on the table to change our flex spot to a superflex.  We're thinking of changing it because we play with a salary cap, and typically QB's are cheap ($5-10 on a $200 budget for a good one) and RB's are expensive ($30 for a mediocre one, $55 for a good one).  We're thinking it would help mirror real life a little better than the current format.

I think it alters how QB are viewed in a pretty big scale.   I am not sure how I feel about moving to a superflex league with an established league.   If it is re-draft, then no problem.  If it is big keeper or dynasty, then it needs to be voted on with a high majority and then implemented a ways into the future.  

12 hours ago, squire12 said:

I think it alters how QB are viewed in a pretty big scale.   I am not sure how I feel about moving to a superflex league with an established league.   If it is re-draft, then no problem.  If it is big keeper or dynasty, then it needs to be voted on with a high majority and then implemented a ways into the future.  

This 100%

The fact you have a dynasty instead of just a redraft would give me pause if i was a league member. I hate changing rules in those leagues so I’d say a vote now would be implemented in say 2021 or later

Also having QB maximums set to 3 is something to consider 

10 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

This 100%

The fact you have a dynasty instead of just a redraft would give me pause if i was a league member. I hate changing rules in those leagues so I’d say a vote now would be implemented in say 2021 or later

Also having QB maximums set to 3 is something to consider 

We have a salary cap with rising salaries. It will be pretty impossible to stack 4 or 5 QBs. 

The change requires 9/12 member approvals. Most people are pretty frustrated with the outrageous prices of RBs (rookies go for $30-40), so so far we have 8 yesses, 1 no. Some haven't voted. 

47 minutes ago, theJ said:

We have a salary cap with rising salaries. It will be pretty impossible to stack 4 or 5 QBs. 

The change requires 9/12 member approvals. Most people are pretty frustrated with the outrageous prices of RBs (rookies go for $30-40), so so far we have 8 yesses, 1 no. Some haven't voted. 

There will be a distinct advantage to any owner/team that has several higher quality QB on cheap contracts for a longer duration.  Say someone had drafted Watson and Murray and they are cheap contracts.....they advantage in young high upside QB vs someone that has Ryan and Rodgers.  In a 1 QB league, both are pretty even in a 2-5 year window.   Superflex, the Watson and murray side is way ahead.  

It become a tricky road to navigate to make the transition fair for all owners.  

13 hours ago, theJ said:

Why is the price thing so bad if everyone has the same money? Or do they not?

Edit: Or is the cap related to the actual NFL contract?

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Why is the price thing so bad if everyone has the same money? Or do they not?

Edit: Or is the cap related to the actual NFL contract?

They have the same money/cap.  The issue is that it's not at all reflective of reality.  It was really driven home this year when guys like Ryquell Armstrong went for $12 in the draft.  Third string RB's that are just fliers were minimum $5.  Everyone is RB thirsty, hoping for that 1% chance they find a gem.

And it's not like you can just sit out and find arbitrage somewhere else.  You have to start 2 RB's.  So people were just annoyed they had to participate in that.

I think people are hoping that this will drive down RB prices, and put the speculation on backup QB's.  Third string RB's will go back to $1-3, and we'll return to sanity.