Biggest FA bust so far

BZski

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Those picks didn't have to be spent on those players

Then, tell me who you pick or trade down with. #4 isn't movable because the top two QBs were gone and the BPA went #2. Denver doesn't need to move up a spot to get their guy, Colts don't need to move up either and nobody moves up for either of the Josh's.

Trading down is not as easy as people make it out to be.

I stand by my statement all day every  day. Watson is Generational; but judging by the roster at the time of the trade up, and every move made since they weren't ready for an MJ.

This is such a revisionist take - nobody at that time anticipated Duane Brown forcing his trade to Seattle. That bad Texans OL? That was directly due to Brown forcing his way out, and nobody could anticipate that. That's the catalyst to everything that's happened so far - the Tunsil trade, the Howard pick, the Scharping pick - NONE of that happens of Duane Brown is still here in Houston.

Not having a first from 2018 until 2022 with the exce of 2019 is going to kill them. Especially, with Watts Career looking more and more done due to injury. 

There was a 1st in 2019 - Tytus Howard, who is our starting RT and looks to be an every day, every down starter at the spot. The 2020 pick was earmarked for a LT, and do you think that ANY T in this upcoming class would be as refined as Larmey Tunsil has been? Probably not.

I'll admit the 2021 pick stings, but that's about it. Watson is playing at an MVP level because of these aggressive moves. It's fair to say that if Houston DOESN'T make these moves, replacing Watson is priority in 2021.

10 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Due to poor gm moves I see a similar fate to Watson and that's being generous . The whole will always be greater than the some of the parts.

With the youth around this OL, I don't see many issues - and with the Texans sitting on upwards of $100mm in cap space (and that's not counting a hypothetical cut of JJ Watt) the Texans are potential looking at a core of players under 26, all locked up for 3-5 years.

Th secondary needs another CB, there needs to be another pass rusher opposite Whitney Mercilius, but if you're thinking all of those needs should be filled by 1st round picks, you're looking at it the wrong way...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

For the record, this is how GMs get fired. Trying to get too cute and passing on MJ like players, because MJ like players don't come around that often. 

Partially true.  This is football not basketball unfortunately.  So Gms also get fired for trading up for an MJ talent when there's not an adequate oline in front of him.

They spent 2018 first, 2020 first, 2021 first on this MJ move. That's going to effect future depth. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

would of taken that Buffalo style trade down(offered to Denver at pick 5) of two firsts and two seconds. And selected the tackle the raiders got, Vita Vea , or Will Hernandez.  I then would of picked Lamar at 22 while still having two extra seconds.

Tell me - why would Denver do that for ONE spot up? Bradley Chubb wasn't the selection at any point for Cleveland, who just spent their #1 pick on Myles Garrett the year before. Why give up assets to move up when the guy you want will fall into your lap?

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Tell me - why would Denver do that for ONE spot up? Bradley Chubb wasn't the selection at any point for Cleveland, who just spent their #1 pick on Myles Garrett the year before. Why give up assets to move up when the guy you want will fall into your lap?

No the Bill's for Josh Allen they loved him had to have him!

Look it up offered 12, 22 and two seconds 

Edited by thebestever6

Just now, thebestever6 said:

Partially true.  This is football not basketball unfortunately.  So Gms also get fired for trading up for an MJ talent when there's not an adequate oline in front of him.

Again - revisionist history. If the Texans knew their All Pro LT would force his way out, there would be a different approach. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

What did they turn the Duane Brown picks into? I'm just curious because I never looked it up. Zach Cunningham?

No, Cunningham was part of the Watson draft. I think Brown eventually turned into Martinas Rankin (who turned into Carlos Hyde this season) and Max Scharping.

Edit: Lonnie Johnson, Scharping was the very next pick with the Texans original R2 selection.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Source? This would be the first I heard that as an actual offer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/billswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/05/2018-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-denver-broncos-trade/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-the-draft-day-trade-the-bills-and-broncos-had-in-place-before-bradley-chubb-fell/amp/

I was a little off on the trade but my GM logic remains Broncos would send back a 3rd and got 2 firsts and two seconds lol

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

That's fair, I didn't know such an offer was in place. I do wonder why there was no discussion for pick #4, as Buffalo did discuss pick #1...

• Like 1

Just now, thebestever6 said:

Apparently, Browns were all over Ward Idk how John Dorsey thinks not a huge fan of his.

Ward is a pretty good CB, can't really fault him for the pick IMO. I thought Conley was the better CB (well before the Texans traded for him, mind you) but he dropped because of that sexual assault case that was dropped. 

Ultimately - I don't think the Texans got pantsed on the trade. Had Brown stuck around, we'd be singing a different tune. But, that wasn't happening without a contract extension (one that anyone would be wary to give a 32 year old T who was coming off of torn quad and one bad test from a year long suspension).

Yeah, the butterfly effect on this is pretty big, as you're not mortgaging the future on Larmey Tunsil (who has been transformative for this team, he's helped the two rookies develop quickly and established himself as a team leader over the past two months). Those 2019 and 2020 drafts don't look as barren. But with the right amount of cap space and some savvy drafting in the later rounds (finding another Justin Reid in the 3rd, finding another Charles Omenihu in the 5th, etc) this isn't necessary doom and gloom, ESPECIALLY when you have a top tier QB being protected by a young and talented OL.

That's what I've convinced myself, at least.

• Like 1