BYE WEEK GDT - MID SEASON-ish AWARDS

ET80

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

that was my prediction before the season began.  based on the results from those games and how we lost those games we definitely should be 8-1 right now.

That's called "moving the goalposts.

9 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

because of the schedule.  also i said that before i knew luck was retiring as i didn't think we would have a very good record. luck retiring changed the dynamic of the afc south.

It changed the dynamic of two games. And, Jacoby Brissett has been really good, so that retirement is proving to be a null change.

That Colts team was really, REALLY good outside of Luck. I don't think many people realized that.

Let me ask this question - how does Andrew Luck retiring change the dynamic of our games in LA and KC? Because those were two Ls you were wrong on. Let's start here.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It changed the dynamic of two games. And, Jacoby Brissett has been really good, so that retirement is proving to be a null change.

That Colts team was really, REALLY good outside of Luck. I don't think many people realized that.

Let me ask this question - how does Andrew Luck retiring change the dynamic of our games in LA and KC? Because those were two Ls you were wrong on. Let's start here.

i already explained the only great win this season was vs the Chiefs.  At the time the Chargers win was a good win but they aren't good looking at it now. 

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

i already explained the only great win this season was vs the Chiefs.  At the time the Chargers win was a good win but they aren't good looking at it now. 

Oakland is in the playoff hunt. So is LAC, who just took Green Bay to the woodshed last Sunday and are still in the WC hunt at 4-6. If it's not for the Texans, the Jags are at the top of our division with a dynamic rookie QB (if you want to talk about "changing th dynamic of the AFCS", then mention how we beat up on eventual OROY Gardner Minshew). The only "bad" teams we've faced is 1-7 Atlanta, everyone else is either near or over .500... Every win has been against a team still in the hunt. 

I don't think you're aware of how everyone is looking so far this season. It doesn't mean that every win is impressive, it means that our competiton isn't exactly easy. If "great wins" are only against teams leading their division, you're definition is incorrect.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I dare you to find a post where I said something good about BOB 

Challenge accepted:

On 11/3/2019 at 2:08 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

Even I’ll give it up for the coaching staff in this one. This was BIG time.

Not even seven days ago. ;)

I agree that the team and Bill O'Brien have both performed better than previous years in close games against good teams, no doubt. O'Brien deserves a good share of the credit for that, just like he deserves blame when the team plays flat.

However, I would be extremely hesitant to praise O'Brien the GM. Yes, some of these moves are looking nice for this year, but he mortgaged at least 2 years worth of picks likely to produce high excess value (read: the picks that good teams use to stay in contention yearly) to make that happen and dumped a high end (disgruntled) defensive player for pennies on the dollar. The draft picks and Roby were acquired under Gaine, so O'Brien gets partial credit at best there.

While this year may look good, his moves may do serious damage to our future. They are the kind of moves that you would expect from failing head coach to turn things around and get a rich extension, then blame the next GM when the team is in the tank and that GM has no leverage to improve the roster. We won't know how that plays out until later.

2 hours ago, Texans02 said:

I agree that the team and Bill O'Brien have both performed better than previous years in close games against good teams, no doubt. O'Brien deserves a good share of the credit for that, just like he deserves blame when the team plays flat.

However, I would be extremely hesitant to praise O'Brien the GM. Yes, some of these moves are looking nice for this year, but he mortgaged at least 2 years worth of picks likely to produce high excess value (read: the picks that good teams use to stay in contention yearly) to make that happen and dumped a high end (disgruntled) defensive player for pennies on the dollar. The draft picks and Roby were acquired under Gaine, so O'Brien gets partial credit at best there.

While this year may look good, his moves may do serious damage to our future. They are the kind of moves that you would expect from failing head coach to turn things around and get a rich extension, then blame the next GM when the team is in the tank and that GM has no leverage to improve the roster. We won't know how that plays out until later.

We were going to have to draft a LT in round 1 this year anyway, so we didn’t really mortgage anything this coming draft. 

we did give away the top of our 2021 draft though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texans02 said:

However, I would be extremely hesitant to praise O'Brien the GM. Yes, some of these moves are looking nice for this year, but he mortgaged at least 2 years worth of picks likely to produce high excess value

Admittedly, I'm not looking longer term on the moves - but even then, you're really spending the cap space to retain these guys. If we had a 2020 pick, what position do you think we draft? Probably the position Tunsil plays. Is there any guarentee that said LT is as good as Tunsil? Highly unlikely, as Tunsil is approaching elite status.

Let's say we didn't trade and we used the 2020 pick on the top LT on the board. If we ended up drafting a Greg Robinson or a Luke Joekel with that 2020 pick... how far does that set us back? Everyone likes to assume a 1st round guy is going to be an immediate and sustained improvement at whatever position they're at - what if that isn't the case?

It's a null tell to say it's a "win" which is why I didn't call it a win. But, we're not leading the AFCS without those trades, that's undeniable.

EDIT: POST 10,000 IN THE TEXANS FORUM!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I was intentional to praise the staff and not the head coach 

Holds in court. If you're complimenting Amazon, you're complimenting Jeff Bezos. If you're complimenting the iPhone, you're complimenting Apple.

If you're complimenting the coaching staff, you're complimenting the HC. Everything else is semantics.