Is Kyler the most talent rookie to play since Luck?

AntonChigurh

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2019/film-room-kyler-murray-and-air-raid

This article doesn't say that but.....

What permeates throughout all of Murray's film is how well he follows through on his throwing motion regardless of platform. Murray, like Mahomes or Rodgers, can take shortcuts or unique avenues to get to his throwing platform, but once he's there, he will never make a mistake in drawing power from where he needs to and following it all the way through his throwing motion. His malleable mechanics can be in part attributed to his days as a baseball player, of which more quarterbacks than you may realize can also say the same. The looser, thrown-on-the-run nature of baseball forces players to learn different mechanics than what is taught as standard in football, and the best quarterbacks find ways to incorporate those baseball mechanics into football.

Murray also has the raw arm talent to hit throws that no other quarterback has been able to against the 49ers. Mahomes, Rodgers, healthy Cam Newton, and Russell Wilson are the only other quarterbacks in the league with the pinpoint placement and face-melting velocity to stick a deep crosser into a nonexistent window. A few other guys may be talented enough to stumble into a completion like this from time to time, but Murray is in an elite tier of arm talent in which you can say a throw of this difficulty is not beyond his limits.

The path to success is still long and winding for Murray. Half a season, much less a single game, is not nearly enough to crown the young Cardinals passer as the second coming. Murray will be pressured, challenged, and battered to hell over the next couple of seasons before we will have a full grasp on who he is as a player. That being said, not many quarterbacks over the past few years can say they stuck it to a historically good pass defense at the midway point in their rookie season.

Murray's growth through just nine games in Kingsbury's offense is as impressive as anyone could have hoped for, especially after Josh Rosen's stagnation last season. The Air Raid experiment has been a success to this point and pumped a refreshing sense of optimism back into the Cardinals organization. On behalf of anyone wishing for football to be as fun as possible, hopefully Murray and Kingsbury are only scratching the surface of what they are capable of together.

After watching his games, I am incline to agree

I don’t think Murray’s arm talent is in a separate tier - or in the Mahomes/Rodgers category either. Thread title also worded to conveniently exclude Mahomes...

But in terms of pure talent? I think Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson were better pure talents, though much less refined out the gate. I’d put him in a similar tier of rookie-talent as Goff/Wentz, though. 

EDIT: And I don’t think Andrew Luck was working with an outrageous amount of physical, visible talent either. He had the size, good mobility outside the pocket, and mechanics but his arm was just average. His mental approach, vision, and accuracy separated him, but I’m not sure that counts as talent (not saying it doesn’t, just unsure). Even if it does count as talent, it’s hard to objectively measure that between players of similar caliber - especially as rookies.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don’t think Murray’s arm talent is in a separate tier - or in the Mahomes/Rodgers category either. Thread title also worded to conveniently exclude Mahomes...

But in terms of pure talent? I think Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson were better pure talents, though much less refined out the gate. I’d put him in a similar tier of rookie-talent as Goff/Wentz, though. 

EDIT: And I don’t think Andrew Luck was working with an outrageous amount of physical, visible talent either. He had the size, good mobility outside the pocket, and mechanics but his arm was just average. His mental approach, vision, and accuracy separated him, but I’m not sure that counts as talent (not saying it doesn’t, just unsure). Even if it does count as talent, it’s hard to objectively measure that between players of similar caliber - especially as rookies.

Prior to the injuries taking a toll on his body Wentz was the most talented of the guys you mentioned IMO.  The circus ways he got out of sacks and made spectacular throws was Luck-esque if not better.  And how many QB’s wore 240 lbs better than Wentz?

I like Kyler Murray. He makes smart decisions with the football. He doesn't have an elite arm, but he has plenty enough arm to be an elite QB. And of course, he has very good mobility. He really does check enough boxes in my opinion. "Most talented" is kind of a difficult descriptor. Does most talent mean their ability in shorts? Because I'd like to believe that playing QB in the NFL at a high level is a talent. Last year, Mayfield was a phenomenal rookie. Recency bias is going to cause people to forget about that...but he really had one of the greatest rookie seasons at QB in NFL history. He was better than Kyler is this year. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Prior to the injuries taking a toll on his body Wentz was the most talented of the guys you mentioned IMO.  The circus ways he got out of sacks and made spectacular throws was Luck-esque if not better.  And how many QB’s wore 240 lbs better than Wentz?

Wentz has slimmed down and started eating super healthy and clean in hopes that it keeps him more durable.

On 11/8/2019 at 7:43 AM, sammymvpknight said:

I like Kyler Murray. He makes smart decisions with the football. He doesn't have an elite arm, but he has plenty enough arm to be an elite QB. And of course, he has very good mobility. He really does check enough boxes in my opinion. "Most talented" is kind of a difficult descriptor. Does most talent mean their ability in shorts? Because I'd like to believe that playing QB in the NFL at a high level is a talent. Last year, Mayfield was a phenomenal rookie. Recency bias is going to cause people to forget about that...but he really had one of the greatest rookie seasons at QB in NFL history. He was better than Kyler is this year. 

You might as well say that Mahomes doesn't have an elite arm. Murray's arm is Mahomes level.