Current Redskins PFF Grades

HTTRDynasty

18 hours ago, daboyle250 said:

I'm genuinely shocked that Flowers is so low and Scherff is so high.

I think you have to build in some adjustment for the fact that, based on prior performance, Scherff is considered a perennial Pro Bowler and Flowers is considered barely worth oxygen. These are just regular humans doing the scoring, and the players’ reputations precede them — if there’s a missed assignment, they’re more likely to assume it was Flowers who blew it than Scherff or others on the line.

I’m with you, I think their performance has been much closer than these scores suggest. 

Overall, though, these grades do largely match what I’m seeing on the field. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My question is, why the hell is Cole Holcomb starting over SDH? And if it’s bc he’s a better run defender well, ok, fine, but SDH or JHC should be playing when we are in our nickel D, and not Holcomb or they should be playing at least 50% of the game, especially when we are in 2nd or 3rd in long.

Surprisingly, Bostic hasn’t been totally awful in coverage, but there’s no excuse for having Holcomb on the field on 2nd/3rd and long at this point in his career until he comes better in coverage.

That’s probably the easiest switch we can make to improve our 3rd down defense.

I mean, it’s simple! SDH is 46 points higher in coverage than Holcomb and we are in a 4-2-5 nickel D at least 70% of the game. SDH should be getting at least equal snap counts to Holcomb, and SDH should be getting all the snaps on passing downs. If he was on the field more our pass coverage in the short to intermediate middle of the field and 3rd down defense would be better.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Someone do Preston Smith now. 

Seriously though, I seem to remember that Scherff consistently performs much poorer in pass blocking than run blocking. Given that the NFL is becoming more and more pass oriented, I'm not sure how you can justify spending big money on a guard that apparently pass blocks as well as Donald Penn. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Someone do Preston Smith now. 

Seriously though, I seem to remember that Scherff consistently performs much poorer in pass blocking than run blocking. Given that the NFL is becoming more and more pass oriented, I'm not sure how you can justify spending big money on a guard that apparently pass blocks as well as Donald Penn. 

That's becoming more and more clear. I actually had a thought this morning and was going to start a new thread asking should we franchise and trade Scherff to the Rams? Heck, should we franchise and trade Scherff go the Rams and trade TWill to the Rams?

McVay could certainly use those upgrades on bid awful OL and Wittworth might be retiring after this season. 

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

That's becoming more and more clear. I actually had a thought this morning and was going to start a new thread asking should we franchise and trade Scherff to the Rams? Heck, should we franchise and trade Scherff go the Rams and trade TWill to the Rams?

McVay could certainly use those upgrades on bid awful OL and Wittworth might be retiring after this season. 

Not sure the Rams have the cap space. Right now, they're projected to have about 25 million in cap space. Franchise for OL this season was 14 million and Trent Williams has a 14 million cap number. The Rams are also losing some pretty significant pieces this offseason (like Dante Fowler).

20 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Not sure the Rams have the cap space. Right now, they're projected to have about 25 million in cap space. Franchise for OL this season was 14 million and Trent Williams has a 14 million cap number. The Rams are also losing some pretty significant pieces this offseason (like Dante Fowler).

Hmm... That sucks, they could use them and we need the draft picks and a TE like one of their two good ones. Maybe they’d have to trade us back two of their higher-paid players like Brandon Cooks and Tyler Higbee to make it work. I'd take those guys and the Rams 2nd in 2020 & 2021.

Edited by turtle28