Moving on, the Week 2 GDT: Titans at Jaguars

titans0021

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

For the record, I don't think Mularkey is an awful coach, but to me, he's a guy on the tier with John Fox, Ron Rivera, those types of coaches. Guys who are good for building up a squad, developing a few guys, but are simply stuck in their ways of going about doing this, and get out-coached and out-schemed by better coaches. Jack Del Rio for me was one of them, prior to his tenure in Oakland. But it's clear to see this past Sunday as well as watching the Raiders last year, Del Rio recognized what he has on offense with Carr, and is letting them unleashed to their full potential. I have yet to see anything of that sort from Mularkey. Our offense has talent, but they are being squandered. It's like taking a Ferrari and using it for nothing more than a daily commute to work and back, with an occasional grocery store run. Sure, you might get a few glimpses of open road and put the pedal down, but overall, you are limited by all the traffic and restrictions of the road, instead of going to a race track to unleash it.

I forgot to post it the other day but I have a Titans organization and Coaching thought I'll save for the other thread I created a few weeks ago. It's a good time to post it because of the onside kick stuff and just a few thoughts I have long term about this team.

I will say though being here in NE they are so cocky and it's so easy being a Pats fan up here the way people just talk and in the end they end up being right but all offseason they ask the question who can challenge the Pats. 

They just laugh at the thought of the Titans or the Raiders being a real threat because they don't trust Mularkey or Del Rio in big games. I trust Del Rio more than Mularkey but in the end they prob will cost their teams who knows. 

The Raiders are a good football team it just pains me to see Mariota still struggling with certain things like accuracy footwork and I still feel like yesterday at times especially on that 3rd and 2 why wasn't the ball in his hands in shotgun? 

Hats off to the Raiders I wish them the best best but the Titans need to win Sunday no excuses. Stop talking big and go out and knock the Jaguars on their @ss play with a chip on your shoulder and get some retribution for Mariota not that the hit was dirty but just take it personal and do your jobs and win a division game 

It's way too early to talk about Mularkey getting fired. Yes, he's not a mastermind in the sense that he's yet to prove he can outcoach some of the better ones in the league. But for better or worse, he did create a type of an identity for this team, and got us one of the better years we've had in quite a while last season, doing so with a second year QB and two major holes at CB and WR. People started to respect this team, and it got to a point where basically everyone was overhyping us this past offseason as one of the most talented teams in the league and a favorite to contend in the AFC. That's no small thing, in my eyes, and in my opinion he didn't get the credit he deserves.

As for the game, I don't think we can afford to lose. Given the current state of the division, we're in a prime position to win it, but we can't afford not to win our divisional games anymore. The Houston win was impressive, and I doubt it'll be an easy task, but we still should have the upper hand over Jacksonville.

34 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

it's incredibly funny to me that anyone on this site could possibly claim to know that we don't gameplan for specific opponents

Obviously we gameplan, but one gripe I've had with this team for years is that we don't blatantly exploit the weaknesses of other teams.

I can't remember the specific game last year or the one before, but the opposing team had injuries to starting corners and were trotting out their B-team secondary basically. Rather than pick on the weak links (like how Oakland immediately went after Adoree -- and rightfully so), we ran the ball. We don't exploit weaknesses well or adapt our O to take advantage of what the defense is likely to give us.

We knew that TEs could take advantage of Oakland's LB corp. Yet Delanie wasn't even targeted until the third quarter (maybe late 2nd). How the heck does that happen?

1 hour ago, Andrei01 said:

It's way too early to talk about Mularkey getting fired. Yes, he's not a mastermind in the sense that he's yet to prove he can outcoach some of the better ones in the league. But for better or worse, he did create a type of an identity for this team, and got us one of the better years we've had in quite a while last season, doing so with a second year QB and two major holes at CB and WR. People started to respect this team, and it got to a point where basically everyone was overhyping us this past offseason as one of the most talented teams in the league and a favorite to contend in the AFC. That's no small thing, in my eyes, and in my opinion he didn't get the credit he deserves.

As for the game, I don't think we can afford to lose. Given the current state of the division, we're in a prime position to win it, but we can't afford not to win our divisional games anymore. The Houston win was impressive, and I doubt it'll be an easy task, but we still should have the upper hand over Jacksonville.

I'm not saying we should fire him right now. Obviously way too early for that but just was thinking out loud in regards to the way Robinson was practically forced to hire him and wondering if things don't improve beyond 7-9 to 9-7 range, how long will Robinson be okay with mediocrity? And would AAS give him full authority on the next coaching search (if there were to be one)? Just random musings while I sit at work still fuming from the game yesterday xD

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

it's incredibly funny to me that anyone on this site could possibly claim to know that we don't gameplan for specific opponents

It's incredibly funny to me that anyone with two functioning eyes and a TV who has watched football for years could possibly think all coaches game plan each week for specific opponents.

Guess Kevin Sumlin is on the same level as Nick Saban. Or Jeff Fisher and Bill Belicheck. They all game plan equally.

I will say that an elite minded coach, like Belicheck, like Carroll, like Jim Harbaugh, they are just as hard to find as franchise quarterbacks.

Is Mularkey a quality head coach? Sure. His players love him, he understands them and the folks in the front office like him too. He installed a mentality for the team (even if some games it doesn't show up on the field). In short, he's basically a Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton (minus this past Sunday) type of head coach. You can win with him, and even win a ring (as John Fox proved), but he's not some brilliant master schemer who will outscheme and outcoach an opponent.

I distinctly remember a John Fox Panthers team that lost to the Cardinals in the regular season (Or maybe even won that matchup), but when they played in the playoffs they we blown away by the Cardinals. And Larry Fitzgerald said they were shocked that the Panthers came out and played pretty much the exact same coverage,  schemes and game plan that the Cardinals had just faced weeks ago. That's my point. Mularkey has his team identity, but he won't attack an opponent's weakness as another poster mentioned.

Can we win a Super Bowl with him? Possible. But he's not a guy you look at and say "His team has an edge because of his gameplanning". It's on the players to carry him, like the Broncos defense did with Manning and Fox.

i feel like something folks haven't really talked about is the fact that, under mariota, our offense has been pretty fantastic at getting touchdowns in the red zone. that was obviously a huge problem against oakland. exchanging either one of those short field goals for a score totally changes the game. i'll start worrying if it persists, but i think it's reasonable to expect that that was the exception and not the rule.

31 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i feel like something folks haven't really talked about is the fact that, under mariota, our offense has been pretty fantastic at getting touchdowns in the red zone. that was obviously a huge problem against oakland. exchanging either one of those short field goals for a score totally changes the game. i'll start worrying if it persists, but i think it's reasonable to expect that that was the exception and not the rule.

Yeah with Mariota and redzone monsters like Delanie, Decker, Davis plus our two headed RBs, Sunday's redzone woes doesn't really concern me. I think they'll figure it out.

58 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Marcus Mariota has thrown for 1 touchdown pass in his last 4 games played.

this is a meaningless statistic given that there's a broken leg and an entire offseason separating the first three games of that span from the latest

it's fair to say the last 3 games of marcus's 2016 season weren't great (though i thought he was quite good against a very good KC defense in adverse weather conditions, despite not throwing a score) but it's pointless to try and draw a line between those and sunday

Archived