Moving on, the Week 2 GDT: Titans at Jaguars

titans0021

23 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

I will say that an elite minded coach, like Belicheck, like Carroll, like Jim Harbaugh, they are just as hard to find as franchise quarterbacks.

Is Mularkey a quality head coach? Sure. His players love him, he understands them and the folks in the front office like him too. He installed a mentality for the team (even if some games it doesn't show up on the field). In short, he's basically a Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton (minus this past Sunday) type of head coach. You can win with him, and even win a ring (as John Fox proved), but he's not some brilliant master schemer who will outscheme and outcoach an opponent.

I distinctly remember a John Fox Panthers team that lost to the Cardinals in the regular season (Or maybe even won that matchup), but when they played in the playoffs they we blown away by the Cardinals. And Larry Fitzgerald said they were shocked that the Panthers came out and played pretty much the exact same coverage,  schemes and game plan that the Cardinals had just faced weeks ago. That's my point. Mularkey has his team identity, but he won't attack an opponent's weakness as another poster mentioned.

Can we win a Super Bowl with him? Possible. But he's not a guy you look at and say "His team has an edge because of his gameplanning". It's on the players to carry him, like the Broncos defense did with Manning and Fox.

So if elite minded HCs are gems tough to come across, why would you rush into trying to replace Mularkey? We could do with a better OC, I'll give you that, preferably someone creative, who can understand how to keep the running element that has become part of this team's identity but manage to get the best out of Mariota as a passer. I know Robiskie is supposed to be Mularkey's guy, but if he can be convinced it'd be best for the offense to move on from him, that'd likely be the best scenario at this point.

Also, I don't think John Fox has a ring.

1 hour ago, Andrei01 said:

So if elite minded HCs are gems tough to come across, why would you rush into trying to replace Mularkey? We could do with a better OC, I'll give you that, preferably someone creative, who can understand how to keep the running element that has become part of this team's identity but manage to get the best out of Mariota as a passer. I know Robiskie is supposed to be Mularkey's guy, but if he can be convinced it'd be best for the offense to move on from him, that'd likely be the best scenario at this point.

Also, I don't think John Fox has a ring.

You are correct, I was mistaken in thinking Fox got one with Denver. Indeed, his team was blown out by Carroll. Sort of supports my point.

I'm certainly not calling for Mularkeys head right now or anything. I'm simply coming to terms that he's never going to be an aspect of the team that can give us an edge. We could certainly do with a worse option.

14 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I wonder what the biggest reasons are for this. Are more and more people tuning into RedZone over the actual broadcast? I know for me personally I had RedZone and the game side by side (Thanks to Dish and their side by side option!). Or are more people going out to bars to watch or having watch parties? Would be really curious to know what the experts in that field think the biggest reason for that is.

2 hours ago, tntitans4life17 said:

I wonder what the biggest reasons are for this. Are more and more people tuning into RedZone over the actual broadcast? I know for me personally I had RedZone and the game side by side (Thanks to Dish and their side by side option!). Or are more people going out to bars to watch or having watch parties? Would be really curious to know what the experts in that field think the biggest reason for that is.

Fans probably turned the game off after the onside kick and said F this. I have no idea thought why it keeps dropping maybe fans just don't believe in Mularkey and the product on the field 

20 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Fans probably turned the game off after the onside kick and said F this. I have no idea thought why it keeps dropping maybe fans just don't believe in Mularkey and the product on the field 

I know I had that thought xD

But yeah, @TitanLegend I would imagine cord cutting has had a lot to do with that as well. I haven't had to do this in several years, but what is the streaming quality of games online these days? Wonder if that has gotten better and had an impact as well.

13 minutes ago, tntitans4life17 said:

I know I had that thought xD

But yeah, @TitanLegend I would imagine cord cutting has had a lot to do with that as well. I haven't had to do this in several years, but what is the streaming quality of games online these days? Wonder if that has gotten better and had an impact as well.

Streaming has gotten quite a bit better. The only real issue nowadays being the delay.

On another note:

Multiple people keep dissing the onside kick. If Bellichek does that it's considered genius. The onside kici was absolutely the right call. They were completely off guard and whoever it was that didn't absolutely blow up the man who recovered should be ashamed.

It wasn't executed properly or we may end up winning that game.

10 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Multiple people keep dissing the onside kick. If Bellichek does that it's considered genius. The onside kici was absolutely the right call. They were completely off guard and whoever it was that didn't absolutely blow up the man who recovered should be ashamed.

It wasn't executed properly or we may end up winning that game.

The onside kick on the opening kick off or a trick play when it's not really needed, those are the types of plays that IF they work, the coach looks good. Failing at it would make any coach look questionable. Belicheck had a similar moment a few years ago against the Colts when he went for it on 4th and short backed up on their half of the field. Everyone questioned that move because it failed.

The onside kick could've absolutely been executed better. But the risk involved there to give the Raiders offense the ball on a short field on the first play of the game and season I just wonder why? All Oakland had to do was move the ball 10-15 yards and even if our D got a stop, we are still likely giving up 3 points. That can be a demoralizing way to start a game/season. Where as if we kick it deep, give up 10-15 yards and just one first down but get the stop and force a punt, big time way to start a game against that offense.  If this game had been against a team with a weaker offense, I would be more on board with the decision regardless of outcome. But with Oakland having one of the better offenses in the league, it just didn't make sense to me to risk making it easier on them.

I was fine with the onside kick. Not like the defense was going to stop them anyway. If the play was executed correctly, its our ball. I believe it was Tye Smith who should've laid the boom. Any other week the ball probably would've bounced off a Raider player and right into the hands of the opposing team.... No issue with that onside kick. There's plenty of other stuff to get on the coaching staff about, this to me isn't one of them.

Archived