Moving on, the Week 2 GDT: Titans at Jaguars

titans0021

Night and day from first half to second.  Seemed to shake off the cobwebs from the end of last week right from the get-go in the 2nd with the pick. 

If we play like the 2nd half team today - especially against such a tough D - I like where we're headed. That defense is no joke. Bortles is Bortles but they did what they had to do to force him into Bortling. 

PFF on the TItans:

Both the Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars’ offenses got off to a sluggish start, heading into halftime with a 6-3 Titans lead.

QB Marcus Mariota would emerge from the halftime break to lead the Titans to a 17-point third quarter and an insurmountable lead over the Jags. Tight ends Delanie Walker and Jonnu Smith put the Titans up 30-3 early in the fourth quarter despite two late game touchdowns from Jags RB Leonard Fournette and Allen Hurns would push the final score to 37-9.

With that, we give you our PFF exclusive takeaways from the contest for each team.

TEN-Titans-Header.png

Top 5 Grades:

TE Delanie Walker, 89.3 overall grade

DE Jurrell Casey, 85.3 overall grade

LG Quinton Spain, 83.6 overall grade

RG Josh Kline, 82.7 overall grade

HB Derrick Henry, 82.3 overall grade

Performances of Note:

QB Marcus Mariota, 74.4 overall grade

Sometimes it takes an interception to wake a quarterback up. Mariota was going along nicely until a terrible decision saw him turn the ball over, but it was the bounce back from his mistake that will hearten Titans fans. He was cool and composed, working the ball downfield with big completions to  Walker and Taywan Taylor being the highlights. He ended the day with eight completions on 14 attempts over 10 yards down field.

HB Derrick Henry, 82.3 overall grade

Any more performances like this and they’ll be some serious chatter about who the lead back should be in Tennessee. The offense couldn’t get going with DeMarco Murray carrying the load, but it thrived with the decisive Henry exploited the Jaguars defense. Henry is thought of as more of a bruiser, but it was his ability to bounce runs out that put the Jaguars to bed. 34 of his yards came off left end, his most succesful zone to run in and he also forced three missed tackles on just 14 carries.

DE Jurrell Casey, 85.3 overall grade

One of the league’s perennially underrated players, Casey goes about his work with minimal fuss, but maximum reward for Tennessee. This wasn’t his most flashy performance, but he was a constant thorn in the Jaguars passing game with one hit and three hurries highlight the trouble the guards in particular had with him. A further three stops in the run game show what a complete player he is.

CB Adoree’ Jackson, 53.9 overall grade

The downside still looks like the cornerback teams are going to go after. Six times he was thrown at, allowing four receptions for 42 yards which was the second highest number on the team. But he is starting to look more comfortable and arguably should have had a pick early in the second quarter, only to let a ball go through his hands after tracking it well. Perhaps the most exciting aspect of his game is what he can do in the return game and he showed on two occasions that he needs just a small sight and he’ll make opposing teams pay.

Man we needed this win. Murray was hurt, that explains his performance. Henry stepped in and had a great game. Whe the opposing defense KNOWS you are running and still can't stop you...that is special. Murray only had 9 carries in the first half so Henry's success can't attributed to Murray 'wearing down the defense' in the first half. If Henry starts next week, Seattle will be a great test for him.

My AAT, D Walker, with the rushing TD Suh-WEET!!

Taylor with the deep ball catch was awesome. Marcus had several 10+ receptions, hope he boosts  his confidence this game.

Conklin picked a good game get the penalties out of his system. My 8yr old is wearing his Lewan jersey to school tomorrow. 

Adoree keeps getting better. No DPI calls today. Great handling of the ball on special teams.

J Smith with the rushing TD was fun to watch unfold=)

Trying to figure out what I'm more worried about: Murray's hammy or Davis Hammy...

Just now, TitanTuff said:

Man we needed this win. Murray was hurt, that explains his performance. Henry stepped in and had a great game. Whe the opposing defense KNOWS you are running and still can't stop you...that is special. Murray only had 9 carries in the first half so Henry's success can't attributed to Murray 'wearing down the defense' in the first half. If Henry starts next week, Seattle will be a great test for him.

My AAT, D Walker, with the rushing TD Suh-WEET!!

Taylor with the deep ball catch was awesome. Marcus had several 10+ receptions, hope he boosts  his confidence this game.

Conklin picked a good game get the penalties out of his system. My 8yr old is wearing his Lewan jersey to school tomorrow. 

Adoree keeps getting better. No DPI calls today. Great handling of the ball on special teams.

J Smith with the rushing TD was fun to watch unfold=)

Trying to figure out what I'm more worried about: Murray's hammy or Davis Hammy...

Davis came back in the game so wouldn't worry about his. Conklin only really had 1 legit penalty today as well.

I wasn't able to catch the game as I was on the road, but I was able to catch most of the 2nd half on Sirius. It sounded like we were out of sync in the 1st half... But then like we were hitting on all cylinders in the 2nd half... Passing game, run game, the oline (thankfully, that was my biggest concern from week 1), defense and STs. 

Walker and Smith look like they're going to cause issues for opposing defenses all year, loving the combo so far... And Taylor may be the spark plug on offense we've long been missing. Henry was great down the stretch, but I still dont think Murray is done. Sounds like he's still hurting/recovering... We'd benefit from a true committee between the 2, playing to each other's strengths, going with the healthy/hot hand, keeping both fresh as the season wears on (and both entrenched in the offense enough to take over in case one of them has to miss time). No reason to play favorite, just go with the ones who's being more effective.

Jackson had a couple of awesome plays on STs... How did everyone else look? Did we keep their return teams in check?

Jackson is still having some problems on D, but we expected that... The good and the bad. Hopefully he continues improving. 

I dont know how Woodyard looked, but it sounded like he had a great game. Keith loved him today... And the other guy on the radio (didn't sound like Wycheck) was really high on him, saying he's been the best player on D so far this year. 

Pass rush seemed like it was on point... Run defense too after a shaky start.

Overall, it seemed like a solid game plan going in... Maybe a little lack of execution in the first half... But amazing adjustments at the half... And a great response by the team/players. All around sounded like a great team effort today. Let's enjoy this week!!... While we know the team is on prepping for the next one!!

I love watching Henry run over Ramsey lol, especially when he pulled that punk late hit on Delanie..makes it even more enjoyable. He crumbled him on the goal line on one of his TD runs and got him again pretty good on another run. He also ran Ramsey over on the Thursday night game from last year if I remember correctly

Archived