Moving on, the Week 2 GDT: Titans at Jaguars

titans0021

I think my biggest issue with the onside kick is that I would imagine that isn't something they just thought up game day morning and decided to try. I would guess they decided on that at some point during prep for the game. Should've had plenty of time to prepare and practice the kick and recovery. The fact that it was executed so poorly is what is so concerning. I know that execution comes down to the players, but some of that blame falls on the coaching staff given the likely time they had to prepare everyone for it.

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

The onside kick isn't the reason we lost the game

Lack of physicality, poor tackling, poor red zone execution and the inability to establish the run lost us the game

Completely agree I just think it fueled the Raiders more almost like they came out and said thank you for the great field position no where going to shove it down your throats and did just that.

As for Sunday though I'm feeling more confident as the days go by and if your a Jags fan in here this week don't take it as disrespect or over looking you I know the Titans don't win road divisional meaningful games anymore but it's just my feeling looking at the matchup and if you don't believe I try to call it how it is good look at the weekly prediction thread and see who's tied for 1st ?.

Fournette is a good player and Lee is capable of hitting it deep but what makes me confident in this matchup this time around compared to last year our CBs will not be playing 10 yards off the WRs like last year. We all got on Adoree since the Chicago game but the thing that I like about our D right now we are seeing a lot of man coverage and you will see a lot of it Sunday with the Jags trying to feed Fournette the ball. 

I know the Titans played a side of the field and will continue too but if the Titans are worried about Lee burning us deep I'd like Adoree on him a lot of the day with Ryan and Sims on Hurns. 

The Jags D is good I don't see us blowing them out like the TNF game but I think the Titans pull this out. Davis is going to be real good if we get him vs Ramsey that should be a fun matchup all day. 

Most importantly I'm looking for the Titans to play a little pissed off especially Mariota. I would like him to go out there and get a little payback for the leg injury but more importantly win a division road game and don't fall behind the Jags 

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

Kind of figured that would happen. Keep riding the rookie and develop him. I think in nickel, Ryan goes inside with Jackson and Sims outside. I think it'll be less nickel this game though.

Brice played the third most snaps among CBs and played 56/66 plays on D -- so LeShaun should probably play a similar percentage.

LeShaun Sims is going to be a good corner in this league. He needs to play just as much as any of our young guys. Ideally, he and Adoree are our 1/2 by 2019.

24 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Brice played the third most snaps among CBs and played 56/66 plays on D -- so LeShaun should probably play a similar percentage.

LeShaun Sims is going to be a good corner in this league. He needs to play just as much as any of our young guys. Ideally, he and Adoree are our 1/2 by 2019.

We won't be in nickel as much this game because Jacksonvilles offensive philosophy is much different than Oakland's. Jacksonville wants to run the ball and keep the ball out of Bortle's hands. I think we'll see more base defense this game than nickel. 

2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

We won't be in nickel as much this game because Jacksonvilles offensive philosophy is much different than Oakland's. Jacksonville wants to run the ball and keep the ball out of Bortle's hands. I think we'll see more base defense this game than nickel. 

Good point. I just hate to see a young player like LeShaun -- who showed last year that there's something there -- lose snaps right now.

1 hour ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Completely agree I just think it fueled the Raiders more almost like they came out and said thank you for the great field position no where going to shove it down your throats and did just that.

As for Sunday though I'm feeling more confident as the days go by and if your a Jags fan in here this week don't take it as disrespect or over looking you I know the Titans don't win road divisional meaningful games anymore but it's just my feeling looking at the matchup and if you don't believe I try to call it how it is good look at the weekly prediction thread and see who's tied for 1st ?.

Fournette is a good player and Lee is capable of hitting it deep but what makes me confident in this matchup this time around compared to last year our CBs will not be playing 10 yards off the WRs like last year. We all got on Adoree since the Chicago game but the thing that I like about our D right now we are seeing a lot of man coverage and you will see a lot of it Sunday with the Jags trying to feed Fournette the ball. 

I know the Titans played a side of the field and will continue too but if the Titans are worried about Lee burning us deep I'd like Adoree on him a lot of the day with Ryan and Sims on Hurns. 

The Jags D is good I don't see us blowing them out like the TNF game but I think the Titans pull this out. Davis is going to be real good if we get him vs Ramsey that should be a fun matchup all day. 

Most importantly I'm looking for the Titans to play a little pissed off especially Mariota. I would like him to go out there and get a little payback for the leg injury but more importantly win a division road game and don't fall behind the Jags 

We picked top 5 this past draft and have won a single game. You guys were in the thick of the playoff race this past year. I don't blame you for being confident.

I really have no idea how to feel about this team yet. our defense looked great this past week. Was so impressed with the development from the defensive line. Campbell seemed to have really helped the development of Fowler/Ngakoue. Our main problem defensively last year (we played solid last year despite this) was that the pass rush wasn't consistent and at least through game one that looked like a strength. If we can continue getting after the passer like that, with Ramsey/Bouye/Church/Gip in the secondary and Jack/Telvin covering TE's/RB's etc. than I expect us to be a defense that offenses struggle with. Solely depends on Fowler/Ngakoue getting home like they did this past week.

Offensively is what will likely end up losing games for us depending on Bortles development/taking care of the football. The OL struggled through preseason having some of us a bit worried, but they pretty much dominated Watt/Mercilus/Clowney etc. this past week. Cam Robinson pretty much manhandled Clowney especially which was a great sight to see. Fournette I think is going to live up to the hype, he just runs with so much power and looks for contact. Not exactly easy with his speed/power combo to bring him down, especially when he gets a full head of steam. With Ivory behind him who also has a similar running style we saw defenses struggle with so much physicality, at least this past week. We didn't really need to pass the ball very often and Bortles stat line looks worse than the way he played as outside of one sort of errant throw in the redzone was quite good this past week.

You guys are still very clearly the team to beat in this division until we get a bigger sample size that says maybe that isn't the case, but I do expect a good game this week after the showing in Houston. Team looked like we did the past couple weeks of last season with a pass rush and better running game/OL play (we were very competitive those last couple weeks last year as you guys remember of course too). Big fan of what Marrone and the coaches have done so far although it's just been one game. The physicality and speed we wanted to be known for showed up in full force in Houston.

We'll just have to see if it was for real or not.

28 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

We picked top 5 this past draft and have won a single game. You guys were in the thick of the playoff race this past year. I don't blame you for being confident.

I really have no idea how to feel about this team yet. our defense looked great this past week. Was so impressed with the development from the defensive line. Campbell seemed to have really helped the development of Fowler/Ngakoue. Our main problem defensively last year (we played solid last year despite this) was that the pass rush wasn't consistent and at least through game one that looked like a strength. If we can continue getting after the passer like that, with Ramsey/Bouye/Church/Gip in the secondary and Jack/Telvin covering TE's/RB's etc. than I expect us to be a defense that offenses struggle with. Solely depends on Fowler/Ngakoue getting home like they did this past week.

Offensively is what will likely end up losing games for us depending on Bortles development/taking care of the football. The OL struggled through preseason having some of us a bit worried, but they pretty much dominated Watt/Mercilus/Clowney etc. this past week. Cam Robinson pretty much manhandled Clowney especially which was a great sight to see. Fournette I think is going to live up to the hype, he just runs with so much power and looks for contact. Not exactly easy with his speed/power combo to bring him down, especially when he gets a full head of steam. With Ivory behind him who also has a similar running style we saw defenses struggle with so much physicality, at least this past week. We didn't really need to pass the ball very often and Bortles stat line looks worse than the way he played as outside of one sort of errant throw in the redzone was quite good this past week.

You guys are still very clearly the team to beat in this division until we get a bigger sample size that says maybe that isn't the case, but I do expect a good game this week after the showing in Houston. Team looked like we did the past couple weeks of last season with a pass rush and better running game/OL play (we were very competitive those last couple weeks last year as you guys remember of course too). Big fan of what Marrone and the coaches have done so far although it's just been one game. The physicality and speed we wanted to be known for showed up in full force in Houston.

We'll just have to see if it was for real or not.

Your D is legit and Marrone is a better coach than Mularkey (ha, you know) so you have a good shot at winning this game.  Murray had zero burst last week and Henry isn't used much bc he's terrible at pass blocking.  Our offense under Robiskie/Mularkey is disjointed and centered around our aging back rather than our QB.  

Jags D > Titans D (it's not even close)

Jags O = Titans O (blame Mularkey/Robiskie)

Just now, footlunder said:

Your D is legit and Marrone is a better coach than Mularkey (ha, you know) so you have a good shot at winning this game.  Murray had zero burst last week and Henry isn't used much bc he's terrible at pass blocking.  Our offense under Robiskie/Mularkey is disjointed and centered around our aging back rather than our QB.  

Jags D > Titans D (it's not even close)

Jags O = Titans O (blame Mularkey/Robiskie)

You guys played a good team last week in Oakland who has championship aspirations (although I'm not a huge fan of their defense, sort of surprised me they held you guys to 16 points). Not sure I'd get to down on your offense yet. Murray and Henry have upside to go off, Mariota is much better than Blake, and although our OL had a great week this past week I'm not sure that is going to be the norm and your OL is pretty highly regarded. I'd definitely take your offense over ours.

It is either be a close game or a blowout. I don't think there will be any in between. 

I think this a "nothing to lose" type game for the Jags. If they lose, it's house money. If the Titans lose, the sky is going to fall and all the pre-season picks will be null and void.
If Titans win, then I don't think people will be all that happy. It will be "it was just the Jags." 

Eh....Game depends on the Jags defense. 

6 hours ago, .Buzz said:

You guys played a good team last week in Oakland who has championship aspirations (although I'm not a huge fan of their defense, sort of surprised me they held you guys to 16 points). Not sure I'd get to down on your offense yet. Murray and Henry have upside to go off, Mariota is much better than Blake, and although our OL had a great week this past week I'm not sure that is going to be the norm and your OL is pretty highly regarded. I'd definitely take your offense over ours.

on one hand, oakland is a great football team and we gave em a fight- just made too many mistakes to come out on top. i'm not overly upset about the game, and think we can still put together a quality season and walk away with the division title.

on the other, we've yet to show we can beat the teams we're supposed to with any kind of consistency whatsoever, and you guys are coming off a dominating performance with some good momentum. if we really want to be as good as we can be, we'll win this game, but i don't think anybody around here is terribly certain that's going to happen.

15 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Ramsey and Bouye haven't practiced the past two days. Something to keep an eye on.

I noticed that. If they don't practice today that could be a boost to the Titan WRs on Sunday. I would run 4WRs and open formations at least 60% of the 1st half and come back and run at them with heavy formations in the second half.   

Archived