The good, the bad, the WINNING RECORD BABY vs. Chargers (Post-game talk)

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Gruden needs consideration for coach of the year. Dude was laughed at and made fun of all year last year and people left this team for dead cause of the AB stuff and the schedule and he has always made sure the team is ready( aside for the Minny game). 

If the raiders make the playoffs they should name the coach of the year award after Gruden.

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Honestly I think being short at DE helped let our guys play, this constant rotating and moving guys around doesnt allow players to settle in you only really need a good 3 man rotation, same on offense they constantly take Jacob's out to put in Washington or Richard at the weirdest of times.

Jacobs is on path to break the rookie rushing attempts season record at over 300 that’s too much for him right now

• Like 2

The good, the bad and lining up in the neutral zone.

Easily our best defensive performance but one of our weakest offensive ones. At the end of the day all that matters was the W, and that was a huge one for our season.

Great to see Ferrell, Crosby and Mayowa get after the QB. We won’t be playing against backup Tackles every week, but I’d forgotten what a pass rush felt like, so that was probably the thing I enjoyed the most.

Carlson was due a down game, as he’s generally been reliable for us. Thankfully it wasn’t punished, and hopefully he’s back to normal going forward.

The penalties tonight, man. Yuck.

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Besides the Bears for draft pick purposes, the #1 team we should be rooting against is the Colts. And they are starting Brian Hoyer this week. I think the Jags have a real good chance on the road. 

I'll be rooting against the Seahwaks (we hold their 3rd round pick). The Bills, Colts, Steelers.

I've been critical of Gruden, but man I am happy for him. He took a lot of stuff last season and he's shown he can not only coach an offense but he can lead. These players are bringing it each week. The effort is there always and we couldn't say that in the past. 

Encouraged by the defense, but tempering that some as these Thursday games always favor the Dlines (Chargers had a lot of success too), And LA was playing with backup tackles. 

Hopefully they can build off this upfront and keep growing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

I don’t know who has been a better bargain signing between Benson Mayowa and Michael Crabtree

Richie Incognito? Dude was out of football last year, he's 37 and looks like an all pro at LG. Such an underrated signing that many didn't like.

Benson is a feel good story coming back to Oakland where he got his start in the league.

• Like 4

The good

Have to start with the pass rush. They made life miserable for old Philip and company from the opening snap. Allowed the DB's to play more aggressively and get their hands on the ball. The line as a whole was fantastic in terms of collapsing the pocket. 

Erik Harris - He was all over the field. Should have had 3 or 4 picks. The secondary as a whole played well. Mullen had a couple ticky tack calls, but he had good coverage throughout for the most part as well. 

Derek Carr - He didn't do a ton early, probably had a lot to do with just not having a lot of snaps early, and he missed a couple throws at the start because of nerves or whatever. But when we needed him the most he was money. Ended both haves with TD drives that were absolutely crucial. Another game winning drive. The most in the NFL since 2015 I believe. 

Josh Jacobs - I think they made it a real effort to give him less reps than he's gotten in the past couple weeks because he had such a heavy workload, it was a short week, and he has had the shoulder injury, but the dude is money when given the rock. He makes the 4 minute drive and icing the game look easy. That TD run was a thing of beauty. He makes a world of difference for this offense. And he got involved some more in the passing game. 

The resiliency - We had so many opportunities to hang our heads and give in. After a hot start the offense didnt do much, the Chargers scrapped and clawed their way back in, and Raider teams of the past are content with being competitive early and letting teams off the hook late. Its another positive step under Chucky. Football is a game of momentum swings. He kept the guys fighting and dialed in, and they found a way to win it late. Good team showing. 

The Bad

Penalties - They have to be cleaned up. I thought the refs injected themselves too much into the game but 4 offsides penalties is inexcusable. If they're calling that closer than refs normally do you have to adjust. Although the Chargers OTS were consistently leaning early. Those types of mistakes cost you games against the great teams in this league. 

Playcalling - A large part could be because of the short week and wanting to keep it simple but there were some head scratching offensive calls in the first half and third quarter. Much better down the stretch in the 4th quarter though. 

The Ugly

Kicking - I understand the FG was on the longer side, but its still makeable IMO. That could be forgiven, but the missed XP to put us up 3 in the final minutes is ridiculous. The hold didn't look great, but regardless that just can not happen. Easily could have cost us the game. 

Overall though it was a hard fought, short week, division rival, primetime game. Not everything was perfect. But the team found a way to win. No complaints for me. To be 5-4 after our first 9 games is impressive. And better than I expected for sure. Now with the easier part of the schedule coming up we have a chance to build momentum. Have to stay focused and not take anything for granted. 

22 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-10-pff-refocused-oakland-raiders-26-los-angeles-chargers-24

PFF is a joke. What did they have to say about Ferrell and Crosby? Nothing. They're totally biased and pushing their agenda that Ferrell was a reach so when he has a good game, they don't talk about it.

How are you guys just coming to this realization!?!?

They've been a joke for years but people keep pandering to them. They 100% will not admit they were wrong on player. If they graded them poorly in college, they will continue to push their agenda with their pro careers. Miller and Ferrel are just too Raider examples.

Why people keep clicking on their links and referencing them is beyond me. They are a garbage website and their "grades" are complete nonsense. 

• Like 1