Revisiting the Mack Trade

BayRaider

There is definitely not a winner until somebody raises a Lombardi with either Mack, or trade pieces that resulted because of Mack. However:

- Raiders are 5-4

- 4th Round Rookie Maxx Crosby had ten pressures and a sack last night. 

- 1st Round Rookie Clelin Ferrell had two very clutch timed sacks, five pressures, and two ball swats. 

- Rookie Josh Jacobs (actually part of the Mack trade) is averaging 5.0 YPC, on pace for 1400 yards, and had the game closing touchdown. 

- Benson Mayowa is the Raiders sack leader at 7. 

- Raiders still have another 1st because of the Mack trade

Bears are 3-5

Khalil Mack has 5.5 sacks. 

Edited by BayRaider

And you haven’t even mentioned the financial implications of the trade. Mack (rightly) is costing the Bears a ton of cash; cap room that we can now put to other uses.

Last year it looked like the Bears won the trade, and this year it looks like we do. Still too early to properly determine anything, but I’m happy with the Raiders’ side of the trade right now.

Edited by Nightmare
  • Like 1

Going to depend on what we do in this draft. We have a 1 and 3 of theirs and they have our 2. 

side note, remember early on the year when all the “experts” were saying our Bears 1st round pick and the 2 we game them could be a 1 pick difference. These clowns are quick to rag on us, but life comes at you fast lol 

• Like 1

Both teams won. Raiders won because of the draft picks and cap space it gave them. Bears won because of the season they had last year.

Last year it looked bad for the Raiders because how bad they played and how great the Bears played. This year the Raiders look great with the trade because how good they’re playing and how bad the Bears are playing. 

Next year the Bears could figure out their QB situation and look great again. Both teams won both teams got a great talent in Mack and Jacobs and whoever ends up being the pick with the Bears pick. 

• Like 1

Imo, you can question whether the Raiders made the right move trading Mack but the Bears making this trade was definitely dumb. You don't trade 2 1st for a vet if you aren't a proven contender. They hadn't had a winning season since 2012 so they clearly weren't that.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Both teams won. Raiders won because of the draft picks and cap space it gave them. Bears won because of the season they had last year.

Last year it looked bad for the Raiders because how bad they played and how great the Bears played. This year the Raiders look great with the trade because how good they’re playing and how bad the Bears are playing. 

Next year the Bears could figure out their QB situation and look great again. Both teams won both teams got a great talent in Mack and Jacobs and whoever ends up being the pick with the Bears pick. 

The trade looked bad last year because we hadn’t cashed in any of our returns. Fans live for today, this move was a long term move for the organization. Obviously you don’t want to lose elite talent like Mack, but look at the draft capital and cap space savings. 

We got ragged at first, but now teams are looking to move big names (Tunsil, Ramsey, OBJ, Adams trade rumors) to acquire picks and save cap. 

this trade has worked out great for the Raiders, and we still might have a top 10 pick coming our way. Irks me we let go of a two, but it is what it is...

53 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

So well said. I hate the whole "who won the trade" arguments. It's for insecure fans who need to feel justified.

It was the right move for the Raiders because having 100+ million wrapped up in a DE with so many other holes makes it tough to build a team long term.

Now the Bears are in a tough spot because he counts 26 mil against their cap next year. They don't have a QB and have some key players becoming free agents. 

I didn't like the move for the Bears because it was a "win now" move at the time and they didn't have a QB they could win with. Now they are in a bind with the cap and limited draft picks.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

So well said. I hate the whole "who won the trade" arguments. It's for insecure fans who need to feel justified.

It was the right move for the Raiders because having 100+ million wrapped up in a DE with so many other holes makes it tough to build a team long term.

Now the Bears are in a tough spot because he counts 26 mil against their cap next year. They don't have a QB and have some key players becoming free agents. 

I didn't like the move for the Bears because it was a "win now" move at the time and they didn't have a QB they could win with. Now they are in a bind with the cap and limited draft picks.

I compare the trade a lot to the Rams situation.  If you're the Rams, you sign Mack(Donald) and go all in with the win now approach.  Constantly juggling players and cap space to try to get the ultimate goal, a Lombardi.

The Bears and Raiders basically were similar teams before the trade.  We had some pieces on offense and they had some on defense.  Neither team was in position to go all in like the Rams.  Which in the end is why the Bears lost the trade.  Not because Mack isn't good and not because of whatever the Raiders become.  It was just a bad choice at the time for them or any other franchise not ready to go all in.

4 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

When we was trash last year alot of us was saying it dont matter. It's a race to the superbowl. Now that it is reverse imma keep that same energy. I want to get to a superbowl before Mack/Bears.

I just want to win a superbowl in my lifetime lol 

• Like 4