Revisiting the Mack Trade

BayRaider

Mangini on the herd today said Gruden was ready to sign Mack, pending a meeting with Mack. Mack wouldn't simply show up for the meeting.

My guess, with how it transpired, Gruden took the job, Gruden asked for a sit down with Mack. Mack declined. Gruden told Reggie and Mark he's got til the last preseason game to show up and sit down with me or we are trading his ***. 

At the time my standpoint on the trade was... Oh well, we tried at least we got something for him, I hope after these next two years (while we had their picks) Mack and the Bears were successful.

If this is true and Gruden wanted to sign him pending a meeting but Mack wouldn't give Gruden the time of day then Screw Mack and I hope he never wins another game in his life, and we go on to be the next dynasty in the NFL. IF, that is true F*** Khalil Mack

Edited by OG_C2X
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OG_C2X said:

Mangini on the herd today said Gruden was ready to sign Mack, pending a meeting with Mack. Mack wouldn't simply show up for the meeting.

My guess, with how it transpired, Gruden took the job, Gruden asked for a sit down with Mack. Mack declined. Gruden told Reggie and Mark he's got til the last preseason game to show up and sit down with me or we are trading his ***. 

At the time my standpoint on the trade was... Oh well, we tried at least we got something for him, I hope after these next two years (while we had their picks) Mack and the Bears were successful.

If this is true and Gruden wanted to sign him pending a meeting but Mack wouldn't give Gruden the time of day then Screw Mack and I hope he never wins another game in his life, and we go on to be the next dynasty in the NFL. IF, that is true F*** Khalil Mack

Yeah people put way too much blame on Gruden without knowing ANY behind the scene details. I’ve always felt Mack just never liked Gruden from the get go and we’ll never know why. 

5 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

It's basically what Jay Glazer reported 1 month ago. He said Mack let it known he wouldn't play for Gruden.

What has happened to the Bears that gives us a good pick in the this years draft was all unforeseen.  Trubisky is still playing close to how he played last year but his TDs have dropped off just enough for the team to lose games that they won last year.  Also this team was 3-1 before they lost Hicks and it has been downhill ever since because they can not stop the run now.  With Hicks this team is 2-2 easily over its last 4 games and even Trubisky has better numbers.  To say the Bears lost the trade right now is ignoring the overall impact Mack has had.  Chicago was a 5 win team with Hicks alone and is probably a 5 win team with Mack alone.  With both Hicks and Mack on that line that D is one of the best in the league and is capable of overcoming the offensive shortcomings.  If Hicks and Mack stay healthy we are picking late 1st again.We got a RB that has put or offense over the top just like Mack put their defense over the top but Jacobs is not putting up those numbers without out having talented players around him.  Although Jacobs is better I still think Montgomery would be putting up big numbers in our offense also.  Point being we had holes all over the offense and they plugged most of them.  Whoever said Jacobs for Mack straight up is looking at the impact each made without looking at the corresponding moves.  Mack addition = Jacobs, T. Williams, Incognito, Brown addition.

In the end a Mack trade with a healthy Bears defense is worth it to Chicago and a Mack trade with good FA pickups and draft picks is worth it for the Raiders.  I did not root for anyone's injury but Hicks getting hurt really helped us because that defense can not overcome the offense without having both players.  With both you could run a third string QB out there and just run most of the time and still be a .500 team.

22 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

What I have found is that you combine both stories and the truth pops out.  What Jay Glazer said could be completely true but not the entire story.  Mack's group from what I remember said that Gruden would not call Mack.  So maybe Mack got angry that Gruden would not call him personally for the sit down then Mack decided he would not play for him because of that.  Maybe Gruden called Carr the day he was hired and was all buddy buddy with him and never called Mack.  Then Carr and Mack talk and Carr says "Hey did you talk to Gruden yet?  He seems like a great coach and he invited me over to his place for a BBQ tomorrow.  Are you coming?"  Probably did not happen that way but you could see that a similar situation could hurt Mack's ego, even nice guys have egos, to the point he drew a line in the sand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

What I have found is that you combine both stories and the truth pops out.  What Jay Glazer said could be completely true but not the entire story.  Mack's group from what I remember said that Gruden would not call Mack.  So maybe Mack got angry that Gruden would not call him personally for the sit down then Mack decided he would not play for him because of that.  Maybe Gruden called Carr the day he was hired and was all buddy buddy with him and never called Mack.  Then Carr and Mack talk and Carr says "Hey did you talk to Gruden yet?  He seems like a great coach and he invited me over to his place for a BBQ tomorrow.  Are you coming?"  Probably did not happen that way but you could see that a similar situation could hurt Mack's ego, even nice guys have egos, to the point he drew a line in the sand.

We will never know all of the details of everything that went down. What we do know is that Mack and Irvin were both pissed when Norton was fired. (It probably happened at least a year too late but I get that coaches and players develop relationships.)  I believe he was pretty close to Del Rio, maybe he didn't like the way that was handled and was unsure how long Gruden would last.  We also know that he refused to talk to the media after the London game.  He had this circled on his calendar since the schedule was released and it did not pan out the way he was hoping.  I would like to think that he is a decent guy, but maybe his true colors are starting to show.  As it stands now, we are much better off with Gruden and company than we were with Mack and Del Rio.  Regardless of what happens, let's keep rooting for the bears to lose games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Yeah, that does not sound like Khalil Mack. I doubt he just said that out of thin air if he even did. Maybe I'm blinded as a fan but I find the notion of him saying that unprovoked to be really suspect.

• Like 2