NFL draft 2020

sammymvpknight

This is way too early! :) But it is nice to get people's opinion about who I should be watching in college to get an idea of the players that the Saints may draft. I might eventually put up a team needs page, but right now I just to know enough to do it. 

I'd imagine that WR and TE would be definitely be positions we look at next season. Who are some of the mid-to-late 1st to 2nd round prospects at WR and TE that would be good fits?

I haven’t watched much college ball, but Jake Fromm looks intriguing to me.  I have know idea where he ranks on draft boards, but I’d be good as a Brees replacement down the road.

any thoughts on him as I’m mainly going at scouting reports?

1 hour ago, ckoz24 said:

I haven’t watched much college ball, but Jake Fromm looks intriguing to me.  I have know idea where he ranks on draft boards, but I’d be good as a Brees replacement down the road.

any thoughts on him as I’m mainly going at scouting reports?

He does not impress me at all.

33 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

He does not impress me at all.

I honestly haven't seen enough of Bromm to say one way or the other. But I am confident in saying that Burrow has looked much better than him in my limited sample size. I'm not an LSU fan, but he's the QB that I'd want to get. Hopefully people will hold his age along with his only one year of production against him. We've definitely need to move up to get him either way...which may be worth it considering the overall depth/talent of the team.

WR - So far, I've been pretty impressed with Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb. He's a kid that might fall as low as our pick.
I would love to see us nab Tee Higgins from Clemson, but there's no way he falls out of the top 10 draft picks.

TE - I don't see anything special in the draft near the top, so just go grab Austin Hooper from Atlanta in free agency. He's young, good, and improving.

Tackle - We need to strengthen our O-line. If we don't land a WR in round 1, Maybe we're lucky enough to snag Andrew Thomas from Georgia. He's a good quick twitch guy who can run and pass block, and he's big at 6'5" and about 320. Again, I doubt we'll land him late in the 1st.
Another tackle I like is from Iowa - Tristan Wirfs. Another big body at 6'5' 320, and decent speed. He's a Junior. He'd be a good, durable LT.

• Like 1

I'm going against the grain here, but are key free agents coming up are CB Eli Apple, OG Andrus Peat, SS Vonn Bell, LB Klein and DT David Onyemata. I know Brees and Teddy are FA's, but if Brees wants to play next season, he'll be back. If Brees retires, then Teddy will be back, so I'm not considering them.

Of that group, there is 4 defensive starters. I think we'll lose Apple, Klein and Onyemata. With how Payton values continuity, I think we pony up for Peat and Bell has played really good football this year, his FF's are momentum changers. With how many CB hungry teams are out there, and with Lattimore's contract coming up, I think Apple will be let go. Onyemata is a terrific 3 down DT, but with us signing Brown, Rankins back from injury and Tuttle stepping it up, I think we let him test FA.

I also considered OT, but I'm guessing the team like OT Ethan Greenridge enough to keep him on the roster, but not have him active in a single game. Theoretically it would be better to have him in the PS, but with his physical gifts, I guess they don't want to risk it. I do think if Peat's asks are too much, then we let him go and I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a guard or tackle high in that case.

So for me, top 3 needs:

1.) CB - Payton has spoken about the 3 positions that effect the QB in terms of importance, O-line, DE and CB. If we lose Apple, I suspect we try to grab someone who can come in start on the boundary opposite Lattimore. CGJ is a great talent, but I don't think he's a boundary corner, he's better in the slot imo.

2.) QB - This one is tough, but if Brees stays on for one more year and Teddy leaves, I think we might select the heir apparent with our 1st rounder. Hell I wouldn't even be surprised if we traded up for him. Remember, Payton was one of 3 head coaches who loved Mahomes. Him, Reid and IIRC Harbaugh were very impressed. If Brees is back, I think we grab one and let him sit behind Brees and learn the system for a year.

3.) TE - I'm less worried about WR than TE. I suspect we grab one in FA or when cuts occur, but with TE I think we need some help. Thus far, Cook has struggled albeit with limited time with Brees. Hill and Hill are limited. We could use an every down TE who is a pass catching threat.

• Like 1

Resigning Peat would be a mistake.

Let him walk and sign/draft his replacement. The dude is going to get paid a lot of money because he can also play tackle, but he is an average to below average starter. It would be one of our dumber personnel decisions to resign him to a large contract. Use the money we would spend on him to retain Eli Apple. Keep the secondary together.

Edited by JMG5

Why are people thinking we'll lose Apple? We're a team that took a chance on him and got performance out of him. I guess if it's just about money, then maybe, then maybe we lose him. But my understanding is he likes it in NOLA, and he's on a really good defense.

He's one of the younger CBs out there, his price tag should be appropriate especially compared to any potential replacements, and he knows the players and staff. They're building chemistry, and it shows. I hope we keep him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Why are people thinking we'll lose Apple? We're a team that took a chance on him and got performance out of him. I guess if it's just about money, then maybe, then maybe we lose him. But my understanding is he likes it in NOLA, and he's on a really good defense.

He's one of the younger CBs out there, his price tag should be appropriate especially compared to any potential replacements, and he knows the players and staff. They're building chemistry, and it shows. I hope we keep him.

I think it comes back to money. Tons of teams, including contenders, need a CB who has played at his level. With the CBA expiring after next season, I'm sure his agent is constantly telling him to test free agency.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love him back. Our secondary have chemistry and work well together. However, we're gonna lose a few, especially if we win the whole thing. Peat's probably in the same boat. Tons of teams, especially rebuilding ones, need a good starting OG. You're telling me a team like the Jets wouldn't make Peat the highest paid OG in the league?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I think it comes back to money. Tons of teams, including contenders, need a CB who has played at his level. With the CBA expiring after next season, I'm sure his agent is constantly telling him to test free agency.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love him back. Our secondary have chemistry and work well together. However, we're gonna lose a few, especially if we win the whole thing. Peat's probably in the same boat. Tons of teams, especially rebuilding ones, need a good starting OG. You're telling me a team like the Jets wouldn't make Peat the highest paid OG in the league?

I could see us keeping Bell and Apple and letting Peat, Klein, and Onyemata walk.  We are very good at finding mid round OT that we transition to OGs, Jahri Evans, Carl Nicks, etc, DT we have some good depth there now and lose out on Onyemata and draft a new person for depth.  Klein is just bad and if Anzalone wasn't hurt I don't think he'd even see the field right now.  Plus we can get a good player in the draft.  Not to mention it'd be much harder for us to find viable DBs than it is to find those other positions for us in the past.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I appreciate that. I took some time to look at the UFA's coming on the market (barring any contract extensions) and there are a bunch! That said, they're almost all older than Apple, and most of them are either a "who's that" name, or their 31-36 years old and will want $7mill a year.

Like you, I'd like to see our brass retain this secondary group that is shaping up nicely. Imagine a 3rd year with this crew and it's depth.

Regarding Peat, I wasn't thrilled with him as a pick in the first place. I think he's suitable, but he's just not what we need. He's inconsistent, and he draws laundry.

I do think that Peat is fools gold. He’s the weakest piece of our OL, has always been inconsistent, frequently injured, and likely is helped by being surrounded by great players. Much like Unger...I think you can draft a player without a considerable drop off and save a ton of money in the process. Klein? Bye. I think that my priority list would be Bell, Apple, and Onyemata. 

In regards to QB...super simple. If you lose Teddy you draft a QB. You cannot go into 2020 with nothing but 41 year old Drew Brees. I love Taysom but I’d be shocked if he is ever a starter. He’s perfect in his current role. 

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 2