NFL draft 2020

sammymvpknight

5 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Thoughts on Tua?

Is he worth risking a late 1st or a 2nd round pick on to you guys?

Nope. Of course, I'm not a big fan of SEC QBs, especially Alabama. To me, Alabama is similar to the Patriots. It's a system, not necessarily the players. The Pats use scraps to the best of their ability. 'Bama puts together higher tier players that make a great collective. 

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

Nope. Of course, I'm not a big fan of SEC QBs, especially Alabama. To me, Alabama is similar to the Patriots. It's a system, not necessarily the players. The Pats use scraps to the best of their ability. 'Bama puts together higher tier players that make a great collective. 

I wouldn't mind Burrow or Fromm from the stock of SEC QBs.  Burrow is executing the Saints offense pretty well at LSU and Fromm seems to have the same tools though he's playing in a different system.

I absolutely don't want to risk taking Tua in the 1st due to his hip injury.  That is a potentially career ending injury and not worth the Saints to take the risk on.  We have to worry about potentially finding a replacement at OG for Peat, a WR2, and a LB to replace Klein if Anzalone keeps getting hurt.

• Like 1

I'm really hoping we win the Super Bowl, and Brees retires on top after this season, and we start the Teddy Bridgewater era. I think he has all the tools to be our QB of the future, and don't like our odds nearly as much if we have to go out and draft a QB of the future. I think with Teddy, our transition is smooth and we remain a legit playoff contender with the pieces we currently have around him. With a drafted QB we could set the franchise back several years and waste the primes of many of these quality pieces as we try to find the right QB and stumble into mediocrity.

6 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I'm really hoping we win the Super Bowl, and Brees retires on top after this season, and we start the Teddy Bridgewater era. I think he has all the tools to be our QB of the future, and don't like our odds nearly as much if we have to go out and draft a QB of the future. I think with Teddy, our transition is smooth and we remain a legit playoff contender with the pieces we currently have around him. With a drafted QB we could set the franchise back several years and waste the primes of many of these quality pieces as we try to find the right QB and stumble into mediocrity.

If we won the Super Bowl, why couldn't we resign Teddy and draft a QB at the end of the 1st.  The #32 pick this past draft signed a 4 yr 15.4 mil contract (5.4 mil was a signing bonus though), so we could easily afford to pay Teddy starter money even if he were to lose his job to the player we drafted as they would effectively be on a back-up QB contract.  That's not even to take into account that if Teddy did end up losing out to the drafted QB and wanted to start elsewhere, we would have no lack of offers for him from other teams needing a quality starting QB.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

So since we're going into the last game of the regular season, I thought I'd bump this thread and see what everyones opinion is in terms of positional need?

WR still the biggest need? CB? LB? QB?

#2 WR. 

Athletic, fast LB. (Feel like we've been saying this for over a decade)

OLine

CB (pending Jenkins and PRob performances thru end of year)

27 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

#2 WR. 

Athletic, fast LB. (Feel like we've been saying this for over a decade)

OLine

CB (pending Jenkins and PRob performances thru end of year)

So I've heard this is a WR deep draft. Not so much for OLB or CB. Do you still take the best WR when we pick, or take a slightly lesser WR later and pick the best OLB/CB? (assume available WR/OLB/CB are all of similar potential)

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

So I've heard this is a WR deep draft. Not so much for OLB or CB. Do you still take the best WR when we pick, or take a slightly lesser WR later and pick the best OLB/CB? (assume available WR/OLB/CB are all of similar potential)

I think after picking up Jenkins, PRob playing well, and the potential cost of Apple, I think CB is less of a major need.  I would say LB = WR > TE = OL = CB.

With this being a deep WR draft, I think I would target a fast athletic OLB in the 1st and then a talented WR in the 3rd, no 2nd due to McCoy trade up.

For players from Ohio State that I think would work at those 2 positions this year is LB Malik Harrison and WR KJ Hill.

I'd go with best player available, hopefully matching one of our needs. If I had to pick...I feel a lot of teams are going to be scheming our offense and are going to develop plays to neutralize CGM. Not sure how you do that, but it would be good to give another weapon for Drew to utilize that could open up gaps.  This all depends on who resigns though.

If you guys happen to watch the Holiday bowl tonight, the Iowa Hawkeyes vs. USC, here's a few Hawkeyes to pay attention to.

Defensive End: #94 AJ Epenesa - 3 year starter, constantly double teamed yet still has 9 sacks & 45 tackles (12.5 for a loss). He was the Big 10 leader in Sacks in 2018. Watch him in the 4th quarter. He'll be the guy they're talking about because he'll be in on every play.

O-Line: #74 Tristan Wirfs (T) - Big kid, getting it done in the Big 10, and is likely a top 5 pick among tackles. He did 450LBs clean hang 4 times = strong as an ox! He could be good insurance for Rammy, but can play both Tackle positions.

Safety/DB: #11 Michael Ojemudia - Came in as a linebacker, transitioned to Safety as he's only 201lbs, at 6'2" The kid is hits like a truck, and has some decent ball hawking skills.

For the 2021 Draft, watch WR #6 Ihmir Smith-Marsette, and DB #9 Geno Stone. Both will be high picks in 2021.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

If you guys happen to watch the Holiday bowl tonight, the Iowa Hawkeyes vs. USC, here's a few Hawkeyes to pay attention to.

Defensive End: #94 AJ Epenesa - 3 year starter, constantly double teamed yet still has 9 sacks & 45 tackles (12.5 for a loss). He was the Big 10 leader in Sacks in 2018. Watch him in the 4th quarter. He'll be the guy they're talking about because he'll be in on every play.

O-Line: #74 Tristan Wirfs (T) - Big kid, getting it done in the Big 10, and is likely a top 5 pick among tackles. He did 450LBs clean hang 4 times = strong as an ox! He could be good insurance for Rammy, but can play both Tackle positions.

Safety/DB: #11 Michael Ojemudia - Came in as a linebacker, transitioned to Safety as he's only 201lbs, at 6'2" The kid is hits like a truck, and has some decent ball hawking skills.

For the 2021 Draft, watch WR #6 Ihmir Smith-Marsette, and DB #9 Geno Stone. Both will be high picks in 2021.

So the Hawkeyes absolutely destroyed the USC Trojans (Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart were not pleased).

AJ Epenesa rocked the house and earned Defensive MVP. He's quite the edge rusher, and would be great to work him in as Cam Jordan is aging, and likely at, or slightly past his prime.

Tristan Wirfs was an absolute road grader!

Ihmir Smith Marsette earned Offensive MVP, and also had a kickoff return for a TD.

I simply throw these names out there because I know a lot of you watch SEC teams, and probably have limited exposure to the Big 10 / Big 12.

TODAY - the Camping World Bowl (how silly is that name) is Iowa State vs. Notre Dame. Keep an eye on ISU's Sophomore QB Brock Purdy. He already holds 18 QB records for ISU, and is someone to watch for the 2021 draft as a possible replacement for Brees. The kid is a stud, and has gone toe to toe with some big teams, namely Oklahoma, where ISU went for a 2pt to win, rather than going for a tie, overtime when ISU had ALL the momentum.

• 3 weeks later...