NFL draft 2020

sammymvpknight

3 hours ago, Raves said:

Did you mean TE?  DE seems solid with Hendricks, Davenport, and Jordan as the primary 3 with Granderson, Edwards, etc rotating in.  I would look at DT before DE.

I think even more DE depth could be good for us. Maybe we don't acquire it in the draft and instead look to add more talent via free agency, but I think it could do us some good. 

And I didn't mention TE because I think Cook showed what his potential could be in the offense down the stretch. 

• Like 1

Why OG and EDGE as needed positions?

I thought Easton was fine during the regular season, and we more struggled against the Minny D-line because Peat was back. Warford had a stinker (as did the entire O-line), but he's shown he's a probowl starter.

With Edge, between Jordan, Davenport, Hendrickson and Granderson, I thought we were solid, even with Davenport's injury worries. Same with DT, between Brown, Rankins and Tuttle.

LB and WR for me the top 2 needs. Outside of Davis, we don't have much in terms of talent. Anzalone is fantastic when on the field, but thus far he's rarely been. Klein is limited. Alonso is fine, but I think we could upgrade. Robertson is a ST only guy.

WR, well outside of Thomas (and not counting Cook), I don't think any of the other guys would make it into the top 3 WRs of the remaining teams. That's a problem and a huge gulf in the difference of talent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Why OG and EDGE as needed positions?

I thought Easton was fine during the regular season, and we more struggled against the Minny D-line because Peat was back. Warford had a stinker (as did the entire O-line), but he's shown he's a probowl starter.

With Edge, between Jordan, Davenport, Hendrickson and Granderson, I thought we were solid, even with Davenport's injury worries. Same with DT, between Brown, Rankins and Tuttle.

LB and WR for me the top 2 needs. Outside of Davis, we don't have much in terms of talent. Anzalone is fantastic when on the field, but thus far he's rarely been. Klein is limited. Alonso is fine, but I think we could upgrade. Robertson is a ST only guy.

WR, well outside of Thomas (and not counting Cook), I don't think any of the other guys would make it into the top 3 WRs of the remaining teams. That's a problem and a huge gulf in the difference of talent.

I think more depth at DT, especially since Rankins has been having injury concerns, would be a huge help, though not worth a 1st round pick unless someone amazing drops.  I agree about the Edge position, though.

I agree LB and WR are the top 2 needs.  I think that this draft is pretty deep at WR so we could potentially find a great #2 in the 3rd or later.  I would use the first hoping to get a good LBer but I wouldn't prioritize position over BPA either if there is a player of a higher tier available.

• Like 3

On 12/28/2019 at 9:39 AM, Mid Iowa said:

So the Hawkeyes absolutely destroyed the USC Trojans (Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart were not pleased).

AJ Epenesa rocked the house and earned Defensive MVP. He's quite the edge rusher, and would be great to work him in as Cam Jordan is aging, and likely at, or slightly past his prime.

Tristan Wirfs was an absolute road grader!

Ihmir Smith Marsette earned Offensive MVP, and also had a kickoff return for a TD.

I simply throw these names out there because I know a lot of you watch SEC teams, and probably have limited exposure to the Big 10 / Big 12.

As anticipated, the Iowa Hawkeye's Edge rusher AJ Epenesa is foregoing his Senior year to pursue the NFL. He's slated as a 1st round pick, and after watching him these past few years, I'd be more than thrilled to add him to the mix of the Saints. The guy's got a great motor, and he IS the guy you expect will play harder than anyone on the field in the 4th quarter. And he's smart & durable.

10 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

As anticipated, the Iowa Hawkeye's Edge rusher AJ Epenesa is foregoing his Senior year to pursue the NFL. He's slated as a 1st round pick, and after watching him these past few years, I'd be more than thrilled to add him to the mix of the Saints. The guy's got a great motor, and he IS the guy you expect will play harder than anyone on the field in the 4th quarter. And he's smart & durable.

AJ is one of those guys that if he's available at our pick you say screw need as he'd probably be BPA by a good margin.

• Like 1

In my opinion, I think continuing to build that D-line and LB corps is the key to getting us deeper in the playoffs.

I'm looking at the template that the 49ers have built, taking D-lineman in the 1st round for how many years now, 5 I think? And that D-line is scary. That helps that secondary tremendously, and we need that.

A little more protection for our QB, and an additional WR would be nice, but ultimately, we're losing when we can't stop people, not generally due to the lack of offensive production.

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

In my opinion, I think continuing to build that D-line and LB corps is the key to getting us deeper in the playoffs.

I'm looking at the template that the 49ers have built, taking D-lineman in the 1st round for how many years now, 5 I think? And that D-line is scary. That helps that secondary tremendously, and we need that.

A little more protection for our QB, and an additional WR would be nice, but ultimately, we're losing when we can't stop people, not generally due to the lack of offensive production.

Granted I think DT is a bigger need than DE in that regard as our EDGE are getting there, especially with some occasional blitzing, but our DTs are too thin to create a useful rotation after Onyemata left.  If we could add one more DT to Brown/Tuttle/Rankins it provides better rotation to try and get inside pressure as well as insurance for when, not if, Rankins goes down again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

While I definitely agree with the build from the trenches philosophy (which also Payton has mentioned, so definite possibility), the problem is we have so many positions that need an upgrade I'm not sure we can afford to sink a 1st round contract into a position that isn't an immediate need.

If our LBers were even passable, same with our WRs, I'd say take BPA. With Brees going to get another big deal, I'm not sure we can sink a possible value contract into a position we have depth at.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

While I definitely agree with the build from the trenches philosophy (which also Payton has mentioned, so definite possibility), the problem is we have so many positions that need an upgrade I'm not sure we can afford to sink a 1st round contract into a position that isn't an immediate need.

If our LBers were even passable, same with our WRs, I'd say take BPA. With Brees going to get another big deal, I'm not sure we can sink a possible value contract into a position we have depth at.

I doubt Brees is goign to get a big deal from the Saints.  Too many other players that are in the long term plans that need new contracts and Brees doesn't have too many years left.

9 hours ago, Raves said:

Granted I think DT is a bigger need than DE in that regard as our EDGE are getting there, especially with some occasional blitzing, but our DTs are too thin to create a useful rotation after Onyemata left.  If we could add one more DT to Brown/Tuttle/Rankins it provides better rotation to try and get inside pressure as well as insurance for when, not if, Rankins goes down again.

Good stuff. What if... what if the DC thinks about a hybrid type line, kinda like what the Vikings pulled on us when they beat us. They took their edge guys, and put them in the middle. Our interior couldn't handle the speed (which is not what they're built for, they're built for heavy power) so they were on their heels, which took Brees out of his game, and the rest is history.

I don't disagree with the need for a DT and LB, but a good, heavy DT can come a bit later in the draft, or even in free agency. But I guess an edge rusher can, too.