NFL Draft: What do we need NOW and LATER

JaguarCrazy2832

22 hours ago, brownie man said:

I think y’all should trade up for Tua

Nah.

I don't think they can afford to just rest on their laurels with Minshew.  I think they should take advantage of an opportunity to grab someone like Eason or Love if things fall right.  Get a project with upside sitting behind Minshew, who is going to be given leash to run out the year here.  But dealing up for a QB like Tua, with those injury and durability concerns...pass.  I wasn't even the biggest fan before the hip thing.  Now, i'd just rather sit back and let someone else draft him early.  Eat my crow if he turns out to be an MVP caliber guy...but i just don't see it.  There are other QBs coming down the line too.  No need to go coughing up much needed other draft capital to go chasing an injured guy i don't absolute love.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I had a QB and OT galore in my latest mock. Simmons, Okudah, D. Brown all on the board. Who you guys want?

I'd go with Brown probably.

I'm just not a big "draft DBs with Top-10 picks" sort of guy.  They're so hit or miss and scheme sensitive.  And i'm not sure Simmons really has a position fit on this team right now...and again, i'm not a big "draft a LBer with Top-10 picks" sort of guy, unless we're talking about an absolute all-around monster like Kuechly 2.0.

It's hard to go wrong building the trenches.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I'd go with Brown probably.

I'm just not a big "draft DBs with Top-10 picks" sort of guy.  They're so hit or miss and scheme sensitive.  And i'm not sure Simmons really has a position fit on this team right now...and again, i'm not a big "draft a LBer with Top-10 picks" sort of guy, unless we're talking about an absolute all-around monster like Kuechly 2.0.

It's hard to go wrong building the trenches.

okudah is legit. would give us a legit CB1 and let our other corners play their normal role. 

simmons would fit right in at SLB if we wanted to go that direction and play him in nickle in some kinda way. 

1 hour ago, DuvalsKing said:

Antonio Gibson needs to be a priority with 1 of those 4th round picks if he is on the board in the 4th and doesn’t go in the 3rd.

I expect a WR in first few rounds. There's no way they roll out Cole/Dede/Conley as the top options after Chark.

I'd feel a lot better if Robbie were picked up but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Eifert needs to be the TE add imo.

6 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

okudah is legit. would give us a legit CB1 and let our other corners play their normal role. 

simmons would fit right in at SLB if we wanted to go that direction and play him in nickle in some kinda way. 

Is he?

For me...i'm not even sure it matters if he is.  If you draft that #1CB with a Top-10 pick, you're winning the battle and losing the war.  That's not how you build contender teams.  You need good CBs, no doubt...but you need to build from the inside out.  The inside of our team right now is a disaster.

I mean, yeah...i'm sure you find a way to get a piece like Simmons on the field and i'm sure he'd be great.  But if you're talking about some sort of weird nickel LBer hybrid dude, how important is that in really winning games?  Not to mention...they've pretty much said it'll be Schobert and Jack at Mike/Will spots.  The only way Simmons works...is if you make him into that "moneybacker" role that guys like Mark Barron had success at.  That's 100% not worth a Top-10 pick.

If i'm taking Simmons...he'd better be Kuechly, or the impact just isn't there.

Edited by Tugboat

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

I expect a WR in first few rounds. There's no way they roll out Cole/Dede/Conley as the top options after Chark.

I'd feel a lot better if Robbie were picked up but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Eifert needs to be the TE add imo.

I'm still big on Ceedee Lamb if he's there in the first.  I just want a receiver who is magnetic and easy money.  We've got Chark who can do his thing.  We've got guys who can fiddle around in the slot.  We need exactly what Lamb could be for this offense.  We don't have anyone even remotely like that.

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm still big on Ceedee Lamb if he's there in the first.  I just want a receiver who is magnetic and easy money.  We've got Chark who can do his thing.  We've got guys who can fiddle around in the slot.  We need exactly what Lamb could be for this offense.  We don't have anyone even remotely like that.

I agree to an extent but in my eyes the team has to be built from the inside out the trenches are the key. As much as we both want and need a receiver like Lamb we can’t afford it. I think you almost have to take Brown if he falls or Kinlaw. I’m not particularly to fond of picking Kinlaw at 9 because I don’t think he is a top 10 player in the draft. But as putrid as that run D is and as pedestrian as I think Wash is as DC we need studs. So although I’d loathe it I’d still understand a reach right there because after Kinlaw it’s a considerable drop off in talent for explosive interior D linemen. Which is why I believe get a trench monster at 9. Maybe even Epenesa at 20. And pray a player like Aiyuk falls to 42. But if you’re able to get Lamb 9 Epenesa 20 and Blacklock at 42. I wouldn’t be opposed to that either I guess.

58 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I agree to an extent but in my eyes the team has to be built from the inside out the trenches are the key. As much as we both want and need a receiver like Lamb we can’t afford it. I think you almost have to take Brown if he falls or Kinlaw. I’m not particularly to fond of picking Kinlaw at 9 because I don’t think he is a top 10 player in the draft. But as putrid as that run D is and as pedestrian as I think Wash is as DC we need studs. So although I’d loathe it I’d still understand a reach right there because after Kinlaw it’s a considerable drop off in talent for explosive interior D linemen. Which is why I believe get a trench monster at 9. Maybe even Epenesa at 20. And pray a player like Aiyuk falls to 42. But if you’re able to get Lamb 9 Epenesa 20 and Blacklock at 42. I wouldn’t be opposed to that either I guess.

To be fair, you can still build your team inside while taking a WR with an early pick. We have a 2nd first that allows us some wiggle room and 3 4ths and 5ths that allows us to package and move up if a target is there.

I just don't see how they don't take a WR in first few rounds and really allow Minshew to have a shot.

I like Cole as an upside guy but you can't count on him. Dede was not good last year. Conley has some solid things he can do but for the most part is a JAG too. JOS had a good thing going with Gardner but is coming off an ACL. Oliver has a chance to take a step as usually TE's do in year two or three, but man that is a bleak receiver crew besides Chark unless a couple of them truly step up.

7 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

A rb is the last thing we need that early

I think a RB is likely needed but yeah, not sure I'm about a premium pick on a RB with our issues elsewhere. Fournette/Armstead and potentially Chris Thompson is a decent trio.