NFL Draft: What do we need NOW and LATER

JaguarCrazy2832

On 29/02/2020 at 6:17 PM, LinderFournette said:

I think my order for who we should pick goes Okudah, young, Brown, simmons, kinlaw, OL.

I just don't think u can pass up a 4.4 lb that can do everything. 

Can he really do everything though?  He's a phenomenal chess piece with extremely rare athleticism.  But there's a reason they didn't just plug him in at Mike LBer and let him dominate like Kuechly or whoever.

and a Luke Kuechly is the only sort of off-ball LBer i'm spending a Top-10 pick on.  Moveable "chess pieces" are great, but you can get those guys later.  Great Will LBers are great, but you can get those guys later too.  Heck, Telvin was amazing and the best LBer we've drafted in forever...and we got him in the mid rounds.

7 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Can he really do everything though?  He's a phenomenal chess piece with extremely rare athleticism.  But there's a reason they didn't just plug him in at Mike LBer and let him dominate like Kuechly or whoever.

and a Luke Kuechly is the only sort of off-ball LBer i'm spending a Top-10 pick on.  Moveable "chess pieces" are great, but you can get those guys later.  Great Will LBers are great, but you can get those guys later too.  Heck, Telvin was amazing and the best LBer we've drafted in forever...and we got him in the mid rounds.

Derwin James has proven they are worthy of top 10 selections. Him and Mathieu have changes their defenses drastically, and Simmons is in that tier (while also having crazy big measureables).

12 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Derwin James has proven they are worthy of top 10 selections. Him and Mathieu have changes their defenses drastically, and Simmons is in that tier (while also having crazy big measureables).

Those guys are both Safeties through and through though.  They just fill multiple roles as safeties.

Despite what he ran at the combine, i don't think you're actually gonna be using Simmons as a Strong Safety that you can move around as nickel LBer though.  You're gonna plug him in at WLB and the way we use that position especially...probably waste half his ability and versatility.

He's certainly not going to supplant Ronnie at SS anyway.  That's one of the only spots on the defense that isn't a complete tire fire right now.  So unless you're committing to basically a 3 safety base look (which they're not going to)...it's just not going to have the desired impact you need to get out of a Top-10 pick.  You can find good WLBs with far less premium draft capital.

Edited by Tugboat

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Those guys are both Safeties through and through though.  They just fill multiple roles as safeties.

Despite what he ran at the combine, i don't think you're actually gonna be using Simmons as a Strong Safety that you can move around as nickel LBer though.  You're gonna plug him in at WLB and the way we use that position especially...probably waste half his ability and versatility.

He's certainly not going to supplant Ronnie at SS anyway.  That's one of the only spots on the defense that isn't a complete tire fire right now.  So unless you're committing to basically a 3 safety base look (which they're not going to)...it's just not going to have the desired impact you need to get out of a Top-10 pick.  You can find good WLBs with far less premium draft capital.

I'm not saying he's a safety, I'm saying he's that type of player that can move into safety/back in the secondary if need be, and has also shown impressive pass rush ability.

He's a unicorn, there's no comp to him right now. But I think you're underrating him if you're talking about him as just a WLB. That may be his ideal position if you're pigeonholing.

43 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Look at the numbers of snaps at each position.  He can cover well. He can play the run. He can bring the heat as a Blitzer( i wouldn't make him be a hand in dirt de.)

If i had a chance to pick 2 guys to build a defense outside young and okudah im taking him and chaisson.  

Chaisson might not be a dominant pass rusher right now but with him your getting a guy who can offer your defense flexibility in play calls because he has coverage ability run defending abilities and pass rushing abilities

Albright just put out a top 15 based on what he's hearing and it's CJ Henderson.

Gonna have to dive in on the clips a bit closer the next few days, but man as of right now I like the idea of a DL (think if an obvious stud like Simmons/Okudah fall we go that route though). 

Beginning to think Derrick Brown falls...which would be dumb imo.