NFL Draft: What do we need NOW and LATER

JaguarCrazy2832

15 hours ago, .Buzz said:

This is how I feel.

He's not going to be elite in the pass rush department but he's still going to get after it. What he's going to do for everyone else in those situations is going to be evident.

Too bad he won't be there.

I just hate when we're talking about a Top-10 pick who maybe isn't that dynamic themselves, but maybe others will be more dynamic around them.  It just sets off all the "mediocre pick" alarm klaxons for me.  Making excuses, before they even get to the league?  Like...nobody cares who the DTs beside Donald are.  He draws the attention, because he's the biggest threat to the pocket.  He gets that attention by being a dynamic presence who threatens the pocket.  He penetrates and blows things up.  He doesn't just...eat up some blockers and push things so somebody else can do something.

13 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Mark Long just dropped that we love Ruggs and he's in play at 9 if Brown is gone. CB at 20.

Also said he's heard rumors of QB. Hasn't been able to confirm it but he's been hearing it.

Ruggs 100% feels like a guy Caldwell would be crazy for as a WR.  Not hard to see why.  It just feels like 9 is too high to grab him.  To me...it's a prime trade-back scenario if that's what you're after.  Not far, but far enough to grab a little bit of extra value out of it and still get "your guy".

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I just hate when we're talking about a Top-10 pick who maybe isn't that dynamic themselves, but maybe others will be more dynamic around them.  It just sets off all the "mediocre pick" alarm klaxons for me.  Making excuses, before they even get to the league?  Like...nobody cares who the DTs beside Donald are.  He draws the attention, because he's the biggest threat to the pocket.  He gets that attention by being a dynamic presence who threatens the pocket.  He penetrates and blows things up.  He doesn't just...eat up some blockers and push things so somebody else can do something.

Did you believe John Henderson/Marcus Stroud were worth their draft spot in round 1? They werent flashy got pressure, plugged holes and freed up others too

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Did you believe John Henderson/Marcus Stroud were worth their draft spot in round 1? They werent flashy got pressure, plugged holes and freed up others too

I remember when my sister got big johns autograph.  I think getting our defense close to that stroud-Henderson at dt will make the lbs jobs easier

• Like 1

Dilla said on his pod we have Fulton very high on our board/neck and neck with Henderson.

We have 4 RBs I'm our top 100, none in the top 50. Swift, Dobbins, CEH, and Akers. Taylor in that bubble but just outside of it.

I'll continue to post the snippets I hear this AM on it.

• Like 1

He also said from what he's gathered Wirfs and Becton are our top two OTs and thinks it's possible OT at 9 is in the cards.

As an aside, both fit the OT threshold for what we look for (as does Thomas, but apparently we view him as a guard so I don't see that happening at 9):

44 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He also said from what he's gathered Wirfs and Becton are our top two OTs and thinks it's possible OT at 9 is in the cards.

As an aside, both fit the OT threshold for what we look for (as does Thomas, but apparently we view him as a guard so I don't see that happening at 9):

Wasnt it reported at 1 time we viewed brown strictly as a nt?

I dont see why the jags should consider thomas as just a guard. To me he seems as a better tackle prospect then cam

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Wasnt it reported at 1 time we viewed brown strictly as a nt?

I dont see why the jags should consider thomas as just a guard. To me he seems as a better tackle prospect then cam

Thomas is the safest I'd say but he has some warts himself.

No one has indicated the Jags view him as just a NT. They clearly have to think he's going to put pressure on the pocket/help in the pass rush if he's being viewed as a top 5 player on their board. No one is taking a player they view as a 2 down player top 10.

Just now, .Buzz said:

Thomas is the safest I'd say but he has some warts himself.

No one has indicated the Jags view him as just a NT. They clearly have to think he's going to put pressure on the pocket/help in the pass rush if he's being viewed as a top 5 player on their board. No one is taking a player they view as a 2 down player top 10.

Say u had a chance to have prime snacks harrison(arguebly the best run stopper in this time period). U passing up an elite 2 down guy for a lesser talented cb?

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

Say u had a chance to have prime snacks harrison(arguebly the best run stopper in this time period). U passing up an elite 2 down guy for a lesser talented cb?

Yes, because you can find a clog in the middle/damn good run stopper much later than 9.

That goes into Brown's value, but there's nothing I've seen that has indicated he won't be a pusher in the pass rush and wreak havoc there imo. Hence why he's a top 5 player in a loaded class at the top.

8 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think it's hard to compare between eras like that.  I also think a factor in that, is that you immediately sort of reference them as a pair.  Not as difference-making individuals per se...but as guys who made an impact as a duo.  In today's NFL...i'm just not convinced that's what you want from a Top-10 pick.  Especially not if he's not going to be a big enough dynamic threat to the pocket to consistently command those double-teams and extra attention by himself.

I think Brown is a fairly "safe" pick.  He'll play for a long time and be at least a solid interior DL presence.  You'll be happy enough with him plugging a spot, and can talk up how much he benefits others, and all that.  And it will be largely true.  Just if that's what he ends up being, i don't personally think that's enough.  The whole, "could've done worse" sort of pick.  Like Fowler...where he wasn't really "enough"...but in retrospect, it's very much a could've done worse scenario.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Dilla said on his pod we have Fulton very high on our board/neck and neck with Henderson.

We have 4 RBs I'm our top 100, none in the top 50. Swift, Dobbins, CEH, and Akers. Taylor in that bubble but just outside of it.

I'll continue to post the snippets I hear this AM on it.

So, we can pretty much pencil in a RB with our 3rd round pick i guess.  xD

Makes sense.  I'd argue that's the real meat of this draft at RB too.  Sorta 50-100 range.

Personally, i don't really care much for Swift or Akers.  I'd have Taylor comfortably in that range, along with Moss instead.  But that 2nd/3rd round range feels like the place where these RBs are going to variously get scooped up.  Before kinda dropping off a noticeable tier it seems.