Jump to content
naptownskinsfan

Chase Young being investigated for potential NCAA rule issue

Recommended Posts

At this point, Young is only playing for the Heisman and for the playoffs.  If Bosa can take most of the season off and still go #2, Young is still going to be a top 5 guy depending on QB's.  He's got nothing else to prove.  

Quote

Ohio State Buckeyes defensive end Chase Young, a Heisman Trophy contender who has been the most dominant defensive player in the FBS this season, is being held out because of a potential undisclosed violation of NCAA rules, the university announced Friday.

Young, a junior from Hyattsville, Maryland, will not play for the No. 1 Buckeyes in Saturday's game against Maryland "due to a possible NCAA issue from 2018 that the Department of Athletics is looking into," the school said in a release.

Young leads the FBS with 13½ sacks and is tied for second with 15½ tackles for loss.

Read More: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28034200/buckeyes-de-chase-young-vs-maryland-due-potential-ncaa-issue

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things are pretty tight lipped from those in the athletic center apparently according to insiders. But it seems like this might be an issue of Chase Young taking some money for his family to fly out to the Rose Bowl last season. Possibly 1-$2000 for travel expense. Not from a booster and not from an agent apparently, but it is still too early to know all the details. Something more could come up. Insiders seem to think this is a 1 to 2 game ordeal and will not be it for the season. Money gets paid back, etc.

Who knows though, there could be more to it and they could turn something up. Either way, somebody screwed up and made a selfish decision. Would be a big blow to Ohio State if they miss Chase Young for the homestretch of the season. Other people seem to think this is it for Young here and could be agent-related. Either way hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Edited by NateDawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as Chase Young is back for Penn State with their stretch of PSU/UM/B1G Title game (if they beat Penn State), and into the playoff run, then it's not a big deal. If it's more than that, this could be a potential death blow to OSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

As long as Chase Young is back for Penn State with their stretch of PSU/UM/B1G Title game (if they beat Penn State), and into the playoff run, then it's not a big deal. If it's more than that, this could be a potential death blow to OSU.

The defense will take a hit, but they are still very deep on the DL so I don't think it's as big of a hit as losing Fields who is their only viable QB really this year.  If he's gone for the year it takes them from being favorites to win it all to a contender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Raves said:

The defense will take a hit, but they are still very deep on the DL so I don't think it's as big of a hit as losing Fields who is their only viable QB really this year. 

It takes the defense down from "elite/arguably the best in CFB" to "still good". Obviously Fields is more "important", but Chase Young is arguably the best player in all of football as well.

Just now, Raves said:

If he's gone for the year it takes them from being favorites to win it all to a contender.

Correct. That's all I'm saying. It's a huge blow. Chase Young would have been disruptive against teams like Bama/LSU/Clemson and the type of player  that could wreck a game single handedly against those opponents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Things are pretty tight lipped from those in the athletic center apparently according to insiders. But it seems like this might be an issue of Chase Young taking some money for his family to fly out to the Rose Bowl last season. Possibly 1-$2000 for travel expense. Not from a booster and not from an agent apparently, but it is still too early to know all the details. Something more could come up. Insiders seem to think this is a 1 to 2 game ordeal and will not be it for the season. Money gets paid back, etc.

Who knows though, there could be more to it and they could turn something up. Either way, somebody screwed up and made a selfish decision. Would be a big blow to Ohio State if they miss Chase Young for the homestretch of the season. Other people seem to think this is it for Young here and could be agent-related. Either way hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Didn't AJ Green or some SEC player about 10 or so years ago have something similar and they only lost 1-2 games to start the year?  Just looked it up, it was 4 games for selling his jersey to someone described as an agent for $4k.  So even if he were to get the same suspension, then it would mean he would be back for the CCG if they make it.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=5585220

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Raves said:

Didn't AJ Green or some SEC player about 10 or so years ago have something similar and they only lost 1-2 games to start the year?  Just looked it up, it was 4 games for selling his jersey to someone described as an agent for $4k.  So even if he were to get the same suspension, then it would mean he would be back for the CCG if they make it.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=5585220

There have been numerous instances across the globe. Ha Ha Clinton Dix at Bama got paid by a coach and turned out fine. I think the value matters here. If it turns out to just be a couple thousand dollars, he will get a slap on the wrist and will be fine.  The University in itself is clean here and that it suspended employer as soon as they knew there was any issue with eligibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Edit in case the above is true

If the above is true then he'll be back by either Penn State or at most the CCG, especially if he paid back the loan already.  I really think things like that are stupid if someone is just getting a loan that they payback rather than straight out paid.  It's basically the same as going out and getting a loan from a bank, only without the interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Raves said:

If the above is true then he'll be back by either Penn State or at most the CCG, especially if he paid back the loan already.  I really think things like that are stupid if someone is just getting a loan that they payback rather than straight out paid.  It's basically the same as going out and getting a loan from a bank, only without the interest.

Unless family friend is just a euphemism for bag man. 

Still not enough info out there to have an informed judgment. Indications of the stage are pretty optimistic, Ohio State isn’t going to comment on it until the investigation is thorough and complete. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

Unless family friend is just a euphemism for bag man. 

Still not enough info out there to have an informed judgment. Indications of the stage are pretty optimistic, Ohio State isn’t going to comment on it until the investigation is thorough and complete. 

Well the fact that he stated he paid it back last summer already makes it being a bag man less likely.  A bag man doesn't get their money back and an agent normally uses the loan as leverage to get repaid many times over once the player is in the pros.

Obviously if paying back the loan last summer is just lip service... that's a different story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Raves said:

Well the fact that he stated he paid it back last summer already makes it being a bag man less likely.  A bag man doesn't get their money back and an agent normally uses the loan as leverage to get repaid many times over once the player is in the pros.

Obviously if paying back the loan last summer is just lip service... that's a different story.

Yeah I think that’s the key.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×