Update: Chase Young suspended two games for NCAA violation

naptownskinsfan

35 minutes ago, Raves said:

An other instance of Todd Gurley, also Georgia, getting 4 games in 2014 for being paid for autographs.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/11793406/georgia-bulldogs-rb-todd-gurley-suspension-upheld-ncaa

Yexamples you bring up on Green and Gurley. They were profiting off of what they were doing. It seems like Young wasn’t.

Just now, buno67 said:

Yexamples you bring up on Green and Gurley. They were profiting off of what they were doing. It seems like Young wasn’t.

Which I understand.  I could've sworn there was someone that had gotten money and paid it back and got a 1-2 game suspension, can't seem to find it.  Was simply showing that it shouldn't be an end of season issue and at most 4 games with these 2 examples.  With this being purely a loan and a repayment it seems, as stated on the 1st page by the Feldman tweet, might end up just being a 1 game suspension, 2 if they decide to play it safe as well to help keep Young healthy compared to playing him vs bad competition.

Todd Gurley got four games for making a few thousand dollars on autographs. This Kentucky kid got a game. Ha ha Clinton Dix got 2 games for getting paid by someone on the strength staff at Alabama. Unless Chase Young is fibbing and they dig up something a lot worse than a couple thousand dollars that was paid back, I wouldn’t expect this to be more than a couple games at the most. Who knows though, we might not know the real story and there could be more. Unless they come up with something else then what it seems on the surface though, this might not be something to worry about. If he’s able to show a repayment and it is a small amount, this could be resolved quickly.

Edited by NateDawg

Just now, buno67 said:

Do you think they take it lighter than expected because of there new approach on use of Image and likeness Stuff?

I have no clue. The NCAA is impossible to predict. I think the precedent based off of the information that is out there is pretty friendly towards Chase Young being back by Penn State though. Like I said though, I don’t know if there is more to it or if the statement released by Chase Young is the whole story or not.

Just another example that the NCAA's draconian, regressive polices need to return to the 20th where the belong. Its obvious how unfair these polices are. There are many players who don't HAVE to worry about taking 1000 dollar loans to pay for their families transportation costs to games. But many players (who the NCAA is profiting billions off of) do have to worry about that, or need additional financial support since their extended family doesn't have the means to provide it. Doesn't take an economics degree to see the inherent unfairness of these punishments. 

Edited by animaltested

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

At this point, Young is only playing for the Heisman and for the playoffs.  If Bosa can take most of the season off and still go #2, Young is still going to be a top 5 guy depending on QB's.  He's got nothing else to prove.  

Classy! Surgery isn't taking the season off, especially for core muscle surgery. Requires several months to rehab. 

2 minutes ago, PAW said:

Reports are the “family friend” is a certified agent. Kind of suspicious the friend he met right before enrolling “loans” him money. 

Translation: Chase Young is the main roadblock to Clemson beating OSU in the playoff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Translation: Chase Young is the main roadblock to Clemson beating OSU in the playoff.

I mean, it is obviously sketchy. With the ridiculous state of what the rules are. Still not that big of a deal if this is all it is in pretty overblown. Clemson had their own PED stuff going on this past season. LSU had a booster stealing money from a hospital and funding half a million dollars to recruits. Stuff like LSU had is absurd but I’m sure will be mentioned less than this. The precedent here, unless there’s more to it, really is where Alabama and Kentucky have had, landing in the 1 to 2 game range. Kentucky’s player to my knowledge had not even paid the money back to the agent and got a one game suspension. 

Edited by NateDawg

7 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I mean, it is obviously sketchy. With the ridiculous state of what the rules are. Still not that big of a deal if this is all it is in pretty overblown. Clemson had their own PED stuff going on this past season. LSU had a booster stealing money from a hospital and funding half a million dollars to recruits. Stuff like LSU had is absurd but I’m sure will be mentioned less than this. The precedent here, unless there’s more to it, really is where Alabama and Kentucky have had, landing in the 1 to 2 game range. Kentucky’s player to my knowledge had not even paid the money back to the agent and got a one game suspension. 

Oh, NO DOUBT that it's sketchy. My argument is simply the bolded. I remember all too well the excuses and "out to get Clemson" comments that were made headed into the CFP by many Clemson fans and the draconian punishment methods of the NCAA. I'm simply asking for consistency here without our Clemson/LSU/Bama shaded glasses.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Oh, NO DOUBT that it's sketchy. My argument is simply the bolded. I remember all too well the excuses and "out to get Clemson" comments that were made headed into the CFP by many Clemson fans and the draconian punishment methods of the NCAA. I'm simply asking for consistency here without our Clemson/LSU/Bama shaded glasses.

People are always going to come after teams or people that are on top. The difference is how much the media wants to make something into a story. Just look at what was going on in the wide receiving room at Wisconsin this off-season. It was a big story, but if that was in Columbus, we would still be talking about it on a daily basis, and I can’t see how those players would be playing again at the collegiate level. No chance. Chase Young just entered the Heisman conversation, for the now #1 team. So this is going to pick up traction, even if this is relative or a smaller deal than other stories. 

There is some talk that a disgruntled relative/acquaintance tipped off the University on this, because he/she isn’t part of the inner circle for Young’s upcoming payday. Who knows, but the timing is very coincidental overall. This was a 2018 incident after all.