Update: Chase Young suspended two games for NCAA violation

naptownskinsfan

As a sidenote, but going by the letter of the NCAA law, between $1000 and $10,000 worth of extra, impermissible benefits for a student athlete would result in missing four games, not factoring in whatever mitigating circumstances there are. That’s the guideline, and typically, it is mitigated down and not up. As we have seen in the cases I already mentioned. My hunch is that it’s in the $1,000-$3000 range and was in fact paid back before this was brought to anyone’s attention Wednesday evening. If a full 4-game suspension were to happen, that would mean Rutgers, Maryland, PSU, UM. Then in theory, back for the Big Ten championship game if they were to beat PSU. The sticking point is when an agent is involved, there cannot be an implied contract. That’s something that is hard to prove obviously. My guess based on how these cases have happened previously, he misses 2 games. I really have no clue though. And for all I know, there is more to it than we know right now. My hunch is that Ohio State signed off on what Chase Young tweeted as his statement however. It would serve them no good to not have vetted that story before releasing it to the public as the facts are going to come out. 

Edited by NateDawg

SEC player gets in trouble: Ohio St fans relentlessly pounce with jokes & comments. 

Ohio St player gets in trouble: Ohio St fans turn into lawyers and offer every excuse in the book. 

all jokes aside, Chase Young is a beast on the field and is going to be a top 3 pick.  Maybe 1st overall.  It sucks to see this stuff still happening while NCAA fat cats stay rich AF. Just give the kids their cut already.  

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

SEC player gets in trouble: Every single fan outside of the SEC relentlessly pounces with jokes & comments. 

FIFY

Any player from any fans team gets in trouble: The fans of the player that plays for their team turn into lawyers and offer every excuse in the book. 

FIFY

all jokes aside, Chase Young is a beast on the field and is going to be a top 3 pick.  Maybe 1st overall.  It sucks to see this stuff still happening while NCAA fat cats stay rich AF. Just give the kids their cut already.  

To me, it's just hilarious that the only reason we have these bowls is because of $$$$$$ and yet it's rationale/spin is "pageantry and tradition"...and yet these kids' parents can't afford to travel/lodge out there and watch them play, not to mention "their cut".

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Classy! Surgery isn't taking the season off, especially for core muscle surgery. Requires several months to rehab. 

Bosa told the school he would not be returning in the middle of October, with a timeline to return by the middle of November, in time for the final couple weeks, conference championships and hopefully a playoff run.  

I'm not blaming the kid in the slightest for the decision he made.  Why come back for that, when he gains nothing from the school, and was already a top 5 draft prospect?  Just focus on getting ready for that.  Staying with the program was all risk/no reward for Bosa.  

13 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

SEC player gets in trouble: Ohio St fans relentlessly pounce with jokes & comments. 

Ohio St player gets in trouble: Ohio St fans turn into lawyers and offer every excuse in the book. 

I think it would be ridiculous for anyone, Ohio State fans included not to see through this.  It was clearly a hand out, not a big one, but an impermissible benefit nonetheless.Thankfully the University had nothing to do with it. I won’t feel sorry for Young regardless of how it pans out, he brought it on himself. I just think the clear precedent is not remotely him being ineligible for the season unless there’s more to it than what we know currently.

16 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Dumb question. What are situations in which NCAA vacates wins? Does it require them think the school bears fault or is it simply of an ineligible player plays?

My understanding is it would apply here if the University had knowledge they were playing him when he should be ineligible. Could be wrong. 

It will be the lulziest thing ever if they make OSU vacate wins and it costs them the season. IMO it would be the best/worst/most NCAA thing ever in lieu of their current posturing with the imaging/likeness and compensation debate. Watch the NCAA slit their own throat here.

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The headline here should be "Best player in a multi billion dollar industry can't scrape together 2 grand"

Considering one of the sponsors sends the student section to games every week, and the big schools send their bands out, there is no excuse for the anyone here to not provide transportation and lodging for families in the program.  Even the $2k isn't that much when you look at the travel packages for the bowl games offered by the schools.