Just How Good Is Josh Jacobs

Mr Raider

4 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

I think hes clearly a better back than Michel, Hyde, Lindsay. I dont think any of those guys are particularly close to him in terms of talent. 

I have Jacobs around the 7th or 8th best back in the league. Im consistently shocked by just how good his vision, elusiveness and power to finish runs. I won't call any guy elite after 9 games, but he certainly has the look of heading that direction. I think currently I'd have him around 7th or 8th in the league, behind (in no order) McCaffrey, Chubb, Elliott, Barkley, Kamara, Cook. 

I've seen one full Raiders game plus catching pieces here and there. So I'm just comparing him to what I've seen and from what i see in the stat sheets.

Jacobs: 9 Gs, 168 Attempts, 811 Yards, 4.8 YPA, 7 TDs. 14 Receptions, 132 Yards, 9.4 YPR.  182 total touches

Michel: 9 Gs, 144 Attempts, 482 Yards, 3.3 YPA, 6 TDs. 7 Receptions, 63 Yards, 7.0 YPR. 151 total touches

Hyde: 9 Gs, 149 Attemps, 704 Yards, 4.7 YPA, 3TDs. 6 Receptions, 22 Yards, 3.7 YPR. 155 total touches

Lindsay: 9 Gs, 118 Attempts, 584 Yards, 4.9 YPA, 5TDs. 25 Receptions, 160 Yards, 6.4 YPR. 143 total touches

Looks like Michel is having a down year, but then again, so is the whole Patriots offense. He's about on par with the other three when you consider he averages 3 more touches per game. His output should be higher, just as it is. But the average per touch is similar to the rest.

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I've seen one full Raiders game plus catching pieces here and there. So I'm just comparing him to what I've seen and from what i see in the stat sheets.

Jacobs: 9 Gs, 168 Attempts, 811 Yards, 4.8 YPA, 7 TDs. 14 Receptions, 132 Yards, 9.4 YPR.  182 total touches

Michel: 9 Gs, 144 Attempts, 482 Yards, 3.3 YPA, 6 TDs. 7 Receptions, 63 Yards, 7.0 YPR. 151 total touches

Hyde: 9 Gs, 149 Attemps, 704 Yards, 4.7 YPA, 3TDs. 6 Receptions, 22 Yards, 3.7 YPR. 155 total touches

Lindsay: 9 Gs, 118 Attempts, 584 Yards, 4.9 YPA, 5TDs. 25 Receptions, 160 Yards, 6.4 YPR. 143 total touches

Looks like Michel is having a down year, but then again, so is the whole Patriots offense. He's about on par with the other three when you consider he averages 3 more touches per game. His output should be higher, just as it is. But the average per touch is similar to the rest.

You need to watch his runs and not box score stat. Jacobs is another level than those three guys. And I love Michel. 

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You need to watch his runs and not box score stat. Jacobs is another level than those three guys. And I love Michel. 

Taking a look at the Thursday game play by play, it isn't impressive. I watched his TD run at the end and he just hit the open hole and 3 Chargers tripped over each other. Take away the 18yd TD run and he's got 15 for 53yds at 3.5ypc. He's good but I think he's being overrated right now. And yes, this is just looking at box score stats and the occasional highlight.

I just watched every carry vs the Lions and it was ok. He made a couple nice lateral cuts and appeared to gain about a year or two after contact. But I haven't seen anything to consider him elite. His OL and FB did a lot of the work for him and he did a nice job finding holes, which I know everyone doesn't do.

14 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I hope he makes it to his second contract, he has enough athletic upside that he should, I think him and Zeke are the most physical runners in the league. 

really impressed with his runs against he chargers, finishing runs is what separates running backs imo

I think Jacobs is good, but Chargers game isnt a good example of that. Prior to that 18 yd td in the last 50 secs. He had 15 carries for 53 yds.and 3.5 ypc.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Taking a look at the Thursday game play by play, it isn't impressive. I watched his TD run at the end and he just hit the open hole and 3 Chargers tripped over each other. Take away the 18yd TD run and he's got 15 for 53yds at 3.5ypc. He's good but I think he's being overrated right now. And yes, this is just looking at box score stats and the occasional highlight.

I just watched every carry vs the Lions and it was ok. He made a couple nice lateral cuts and appeared to gain about a year or two after contact. But I haven't seen anything to consider him elite. His OL and FB did a lot of the work for him and he did a nice job finding holes, which I know everyone doesn't do.

It was probably his least impressive game of the year. Go watch all his other games. He can do things many running backs can’t. He’s 1b to Elliott in terms of vision and Top 3 in Power without question. 

4 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

The Chargers game was the only game that wasn't super impressive. They did a good job of bottling Jacobs up outside of a couple receptions and the TD run. 

The rest of the season he's been super explosive, showing great vision, tackle breaking ability, and elusiveness, a total package above what those other guys are captain of doing week in and week out. 

20 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

The Chargers game was the only game that wasn't super impressive. They did a good job of bottling Jacobs up outside of a couple receptions and the TD run. 

The rest of the season he's been super explosive, showing great vision, tackle breaking ability, and elusiveness, a total package above what those other guys are captain of doing week in and week out. 

Honestly feel like they were spelling him on a short week.  

• Like 1

Jacobs is a really good player, better than I expected him to be. Was definitely wrong on that one.

He’s a lot like Saquon, just lacks that extra gear. It’s early, but I’d be comfortable putting Jacobs in that second tier with Chubb, Ingram, and that group. Got to see more of him to put him in with McCaffrey, Cook, Barkley, Zeke, and Kamara. 

• Like 3

On 11/11/2019 at 2:16 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Jacobs is a really good player, better than I expected him to be. Was definitely wrong on that one.

He’s a lot like Saquon, just lacks that extra gear. It’s early, but I’d be comfortable putting Jacobs in that second tier with Chubb, Ingram, and that group. Got to see more of him to put him in with McCaffrey, Cook, Barkley, Zeke, and Kamara. 

Chubb is top teir

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Chubb is top teir

You actually believe Barkley, CMC, and Chubb are all equals? Chubb and Cook are probably close and Chubb has an argument over Kamara if only because of the usage. 

But there’s really no argument for him over either CMC or Barkley. Lacks their top gear, isn’t even in the same stratosphere as a receiver, is more careless with the ball, doesn’t bring their quickness to the table. 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

You actually believe Barkley, CMC, and Chubb are all equals? Chubb and Cook are probably close and Chubb has an argument over Kamara if only because of the usage. 

But there’s really no argument for him over either CMC or Barkley. Lacks their top gear, isn’t even in the same stratosphere as a receiver, is more careless with the ball, doesn’t bring their quickness to the table. 

Chubb doesn't lack  top gear. 

Id take cmc and barkley  a head of chubb. 

Chubb has out played barkley by a mile this year.

I've been paying special attention to him because I drafted him in fantasy and I've been super impressed pretty much every time I watch him. I love his running style - it seems like even when there's nothing open he's picking up an extra yard or two just using his power to push tacklers backwards. He's got a lot of polish too, just in terms of his vision and patience. 

I think the two things he's missing/hasn't really shown yet that are holding him back from being in the elite tier alongside the likes of CMC/Saquon/Cook are home-run hitting ability and pass-catching. He's busted off some nice chunk plays but doesn't seem to possess that true breakaway speed that lets you fully run away from defenders and take it to the house when you do find a seam. And I don't know if it's just Gruden holding him back because he wants to keep Jalen Richard involved but they're not running many screens for him and Carr doesn't seem to like checking down to him. The best of the best are true 3 down backs and whether because of playcalling or ability it's not something Jacobs has truly displayed yet. But he's the kind of running back any team would love to have - you can trust him to make the most of nearly every carry he gets - if a play is blocked to be a 2 yard loss, the might turn that into a no gainer, if it's blocked to be a 3 yard gain, he'll get you 6, if there's a real hole there to get 10, he might get you 20. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I think when things are all said and done, as long as his knee holds up, Chubb will be a top ~15ish running back of all time.

And that's coming from a division rival. Chubb is unbelievable and I don't think we've seen close to his peak yet.