Just How Good Is Josh Jacobs

Mr Raider

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

McCourty has clocked a time right there with Hill’s, according to the NFL’s tracking of top speed in MPH. What they track and what is obvious on the field, tend to be different things. Hell, they have Jordan Howard right there with Dalvin Cook. 

I’m not saying their tracking is wrong, but I think it’s misleading.  

He hasn't though. As I mentioned in the previous post. Hill has hit much higher speeds than the 22.05 that McCourty ran. As referenced below:

4 hours ago, tyler735 said:

He hasn't though. As I mentioned in the previous post. Hill has hit much higher speeds than the 22.05 that McCourty ran. As referenced below:

It’s good it shows that. It still doesn’t explain lots of other examples. 

Mariota hit 21.42 MPH, while to my knowledge, guys like Travis Benjamin and DHB (two speedsters) only hit 21.74 and 21.43. It doesn’t exactly line up with the eye test.

20 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s good it shows that. It still doesn’t explain lots of other examples. 

Mariota hit 21.42 MPH, while to my knowledge, guys like Travis Benjamin and DHB (two speedsters) only hit 21.74 and 21.43. It doesn’t exactly line up with the eye test.

Travis Benjamin- 22.17 mph

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/7/3/15889260/new-england-patriots-brandin-cooks-clocked-two-of-nfls-12-fastest-plays-in-2016-new-orleans-saints

Darrius Heyward-Bey- 22.01 (After he was several years into the league and probably slowed down a bit)

https://steelersdepot.com/2015/12/two-steelers-wrs-make-list-for-fastest-speeds-of-2015/

Not saying it is a perfect system by any means, but for the most part seems to be a pretty accurate indication of speed. More importantly to the discussion appears to verify in one of several ways that Chubb has speed on par with McCaffrey, and Barkley.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

I see now - the NFL’s site is a little funky.

Not saying it is a perfect system by any means, but for the most part seems to be a pretty accurate indication of speed. More importantly to the discussion appears to verify in one of several ways that Chubb has speed on par with McCaffrey, and Barkley.

Nah, unless you’re comfortable with:

Derrick Henry > Jakeem Grant, Julio Jones, Tarik Cohen

Jordan Howard / Isaiah Crowell > Saquon Barkley, CMC, Nick Chubb, OBJ

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

I see now - the NFL’s site is a little funky.

Nah, unless you’re comfortable with:

Derrick Henry > Jakeem Grant, Julio Jones, Tarik Cohen

Jordan Howard / Isaiah Crowell > Saquon Barkley, CMC, Nick Chubb, OBJ

"Not saying it's a perfect system by any means" 

As I mentioned it's not a perfect system. One thing that isn't accounted for is wind speed/direction, which I'd imagine played a large factor in Howard/Crowell's mph. My guess would be Howard/Crowell were running with very generous tailwinds behind them. However if you see a player hitting these really high speeds on multiple occasions it certainly adds some weight to any speed arguments.

In terms of this discussion, it does a pretty good job paired with other metrics (stated earlier in the thread) that Chubb's speed is on par with McCaffrey and Barkley.

12 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I see Oakland are 1st in giving up negative plays on offense. i.e - it's almost impossible to brings them down behind the line. Most of that has to be Jacobs. The OL will help, but what a beast he is.

I’d have to rewatch, but I don’t think I’ve seen him go down on initial contact a single time. 

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’d have to rewatch, but I don’t think I’ve seen him go down on initial contact a single time. 

It's the most impressive thing about his game.  He almost never ever ever goes down behind the line or at first contact.  That's a better trait than the game breaking speed he is lacking to me.