Beyond Win-Loss Record over the next 8 games, What Things Do You Need to See to Justify Keeping Freddie?

Mind Character

38 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I just want him to realize when he should run and when he should pass.

We are an incredible running team, yet when chubb has a good day, we stop using him.

Chubb and Hunt had 34 combined touches yesterday. 

We go for it 7 times from the 1 yard line and fail every time, we should probably realize its not going to happen and kick it.

I get that.  

I also think if he kicks it the same people complain he’s not aggressive enough.

I personally would never kick a damned FG from the 1.  If we don’t score a TD, look at the players.

We should learn to get to the line faster so everything is not a rush and get waisted timeouts. 

Agreed.

we should use what works early in games and continue it.

we should run a 2 minute offense every now and then...

Agree with this stuff too.

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Was the play calling that bad yesterday?

I feel like he did everything people wanted (throw to OBJ and run Chubb in the red zone) and when it doesn’t work he’s killed for the results.

The plays seemed fine yesterday tbh.  Execution could use some work though...

It's not necessarily the plays which are called or the gameplan, it's the time it takes for them to get in and how that seems to affect everything else.  I'm obviously not on the sideline or on the headset, but that's just what I'm theorizing is going on a lot.  It's the only way I can make sense of him taking penalties on purpose at weird times, challenging plays that aren't going to get overturned, and us lining up in our offense with the play clock running down seemingly all the time.

I also think that the redzone fiasco was just bizarre.  You get stopped 6 or 7 times in a row, I don't care what the analytics say about being aggressive there, the analytics are based on every NFL game. I would have been reading the sample size you just took the first few plays, especially since your plan was to run something very similar on 4th.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 1

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

I also think that the redzone fiasco was just bizarre.  You get stopped 6 or 7 times in a row, I don't care what the analytics say about being aggressive there, the analytics are based on every NFL game, I would have been reading the sample size you just took the first few plays, especially since your plan was to run something very similar on 4th.

I’m not saying this is you, but a lot of folks imo would be complaining if he kicked it for not being aggressive.  Especially after the outcome is determined.

At what point is that not about coaching, but rather the high priced talent getting their arses beat to a man?  Like, you can’t get a yard from the one on 5 rushing attempts???

I can put plenty on coaching, but some of the blame has to be shouldered by the players.  The goal line issues were players and execution much more than coaching imo.

And as I’ve said previously, I hope to Christ we never kick a FG from the 1. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

They beat Pittsburgh twice and Baltimore twice

Beating Baltimore twice is in an entirely different stratosphere relative to beating the Steelers twice as the Steelers have a truly terrible offense (28th in DVOA Offensive Efficiency, a panicky QB, and no RB). 

They have a good defense that has to score 10 points a game to supplement it's offenses 6-7 points a game in order for their team to win. 20 points beats the Steelers much like it beats Buffalo; however, as long as the Steelers defense doesn't score 12 points beat Pittsburgh. They are not a team that we should celebrate as if we have arrived or as if Freddie has arrived because we beat them.

Losing to them would be another sign of issues. Our offense has to be able to outscore them.

I think he needs to go 8-8. But it also depends on how the team looks the rest of the way. If it's clear that they are truly getting better every week, then that helps Freddie's cause, but if they remain really inconsistent then that will hurt his cause.

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Beating Baltimore twice is in an entirely different stratosphere relative to beating the Steelers twice as the Steelers have a truly terrible offense (28th in DVOA Offensive Efficiency, a panicky QB, and no RB). 

They have a good defense that has to score 10 points a game to supplement it's offenses 6-7 points a game in order for their team to win. 20 points beats the Steelers much like it beats Buffalo; however, as long as the Steelers defense doesn't score 12 points beat Pittsburgh. They are not a team that we should celebrate as if we have arrived or as if Freddie has arrived because we beat them.

Losing to them would be another sign of issues. Our offense has to be able to outscore them.

I am 90 percent sure if Freddy wins a playoff game he will be back

11 minutes ago, DawgX said:

If we make the playoffs he is definitely coming back, regardless if we win a playoff game or not.

Yesterday he was average at best. 

He has been thhe worst coach in the nfl for the first 8 games. 

He needs to get so much better.

Situationally terrible, poorly organized, terribly disciplined. 

He needs to do a complete 180

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

I am 90 percent sure if Freddy wins a playoff game he will be back

Obviously, winning a playoff game or getting to the playoffs saves Freddie, but beating the Steelers twice isn't the same as beating the Ravens twice for the reasons I cited (bottom 4 offense in the league in every analytic and metrics; terrible QB).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

Obviously, winning a playoff game or getting to the playoffs saves Freddie, but beating the Steelers twice isn't the same as beating the Ravens twice for the reasons I cited (bottom 4 offense in the league in every analytic and metrics; terrible QB).

Where are we in the same metrics?

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Chubb and Hunt had 34 combined touches yesterday. 

I understand they got a lot of touches but we were doing very well in the first half.

in 4 possessions (i'm not counting the one with 17 seconds left int he game) we did the following

22 passing plays for 124 yards (5.64 yards per attempt)

18 rushing plays for 110 yards (6.11 yards per attempt)

18 minutes and 51 seconds time of possession to buffalo's 11 minutes and 9 seconds

With that game plan we scored on the opening possession, got into the red zone twice more (one field goal, one turnover on downs) and ended up punting on a 3 and out.

So the second half we come out and want to distribute the ball evenly again right?

20 passing plays for 207 yards (10.35 yards per attempt)

7 rushing plays for 38 yards (5.43 yards per attempt)

12 minutes and 55 seconds of possession to buffalo's 17 minutes and 5 seconds

With what looks like much better offense we end up with a safety, a field goal, 2 punts (a 3 and out and a 4 and out) and a touchdown.  One trip out of 5 posessions to the red-zone as opposed to 3 out of 4 in the previous half.

we start the half at our own 8 yard line,  Like every team run the ball to give us some breathing room right? nope..... Okay play action to confuse the defense.  Nope.  Emply F-ing backfield and we get sacked for a safety.

The defense is more tired in the second half because our offense doesn't stay on the field for longer.

I don't care about how many touches in a game the two of them get.  I care about game plan.  Knowing when to run the ball and sustain offensive drives.  

We rushed the ball 24 times with Hunt and Chubb and got 146 yards.  6.08 yards per attempt!

We threw the ball 38 times and completed 26 for 238 yards.  6.26 yards per attempt

How with those numbers do we not look to run the ball more than we do?  7 carries in the second half? really?

Also that doesn't count sacks which lose yards and safeties which lose points and possessions.

We won, but we still aren't making good decisions...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Was the play calling that bad yesterday?

I feel like he did everything people wanted (throw to OBJ and run Chubb in the red zone) and when it doesn’t work he’s killed for the results.

The plays seemed fine yesterday tbh.  Execution could use some work though...

No the play calling was bad.  something worked and we went away from it later.

Did he run the ball in the red zone? yes, did he throw the ball to OBJ, yes, but then he made terrible decisions calling plays in other facets.

Your O-line is poor so we run an empty backfield in our own territory on 1st and 10 on the 8?  why not even TRY to give us more room.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I understand they got a lot of touches but we were doing very well in the first half.

in 4 possessions (i'm not counting the one with 17 seconds left int he game) we did the following

22 passing plays for 124 yards (5.64 yards per attempt)

18 rushing plays for 110 yards (6.11 yards per attempt)

18 minutes and 51 seconds time of possession to buffalo's 11 minutes and 9 seconds

With that game plan we scored on the opening possession, got into the red zone twice more (one field goal, one turnover on downs) and ended up punting on a 3 and out.

So the second half we come out and want to distribute the ball evenly again right?

20 passing plays for 207 yards (10.35 yards per attempt)

7 rushing plays for 38 yards (5.43 yards per attempt)

12 minutes and 55 seconds of possession to buffalo's 17 minutes and 5 seconds

With what looks like much better offense we end up with a safety, a field goal, 2 punts (a 3 and out and a 4 and out) and a touchdown.  One trip out of 5 posessions to the red-zone as opposed to 3 out of 4 in the previous half.

we start the half at our own 8 yard line,  Like every team run the ball to give us some breathing room right? nope..... Okay play action to confuse the defense.  Nope.  Emply F-ing backfield and we get sacked for a safety.

The defense is more tired in the second half because our offense doesn't stay on the field for longer.

I don't care about how many touches in a game the two of them get.  I care about game plan.  Knowing when to run the ball and sustain offensive drives.  

We rushed the ball 24 times with Hunt and Chubb and got 146 yards.  6.08 yards per attempt!

We threw the ball 38 times and completed 26 for 238 yards.  6.26 yards per attempt

How with those numbers do we not look to run the ball more than we do?  7 carries in the second half? really?

Also that doesn't count sacks which lose yards and safeties which lose points and possessions.

We won, but we still aren't making good decisions...

1 minute ago, CBrownsman said:

No the play calling was bad.  something worked and we went away from it later.

Did he run the ball in the red zone? yes, did he throw the ball to OBJ, yes, but then he made terrible decisions calling plays in other facets.

Your O-line is poor so we run an empty backfield in our own territory on 1st and 10 on the 8?  why not even TRY to give us more room.

None of this seems nit picky or Monday morning quarterbackingish (that’s a word) to you?

Legit asking.

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not saying this is you, but a lot of folks imo would be complaining if he kicked it for not being aggressive.  Especially after the outcome is determined.

At what point is that not about coaching, but rather the high priced talent getting their arses beat to a man?  Like, you can’t get a yard from the one on 5 rushing attempts???

I can put plenty on coaching, but some of the blame has to be shouldered by the players.  The goal line issues were players and execution much more than coaching imo.

And as I’ve said previously, I hope to Christ we never kick a FG from the 1. 

I agree that some fans would be screaming at him for kicking it from the 1.

That being said 7 straight times and you fail 7 straight times?  The definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

And that didn't even bother me that much, what bothered me is we needed a false start to convince him not to do it again on the next drive!!!!

Thank god we came away with 3 on the next drive.

• Like 3