Beyond Win-Loss Record over the next 8 games, What Things Do You Need to See to Justify Keeping Freddie?

Mind Character

Just now, CBrownsman said:

I agree that some fans would be screaming at him for kicking it from the 1.

That being said 7 straight times and you fail 7 straight times?  The definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

And that didn't even bother me that much, what bothered me is we needed a false start to convince him not to do it again on the next drive!!!!

Thank god we came away with 3 on the next drive.

I mean, I guess, but like I said before, I hope no coach ever kicks a FG from the one.

That’s loser ball long term imo and the team will sense it.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

None of this seems nit picky or Monday morning quarterbackingish (that’s a word) to you?

Legit asking.

I understand that it could, but to be honest these are things I'm thinking in the moment, not coming up with after watching the game.

Watching the second half thinking we CLEARLY aren't running enough.  Watching us go empty from the 8 and thinking WTF.  watching us think about going for it for the second consecutive drive when we failed 8 times the previous one.  These aren't thinks that I had a day to ponder on, they're just things that were a bad idea at the time AND a day later.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I guess, but like I said before, I hope no coach ever kicks a FG from the one.

I mean is that more loser ball than turning the ball over twice at the 1 yard line because you can't get it in either time?

7 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I understand that it could, but to be honest these are things I'm thinking in the moment, not coming up with after watching the game.

Watching the second half thinking we CLEARLY aren't running enough.  Watching us go empty from the 8 and thinking WTF.  watching us think about going for it for the second consecutive drive when we failed 8 times the previous one.  These aren't thinks that I had a day to ponder on, they're just things that were a bad idea at the time AND a day later.

That’s fair.

I would have like to see more runs as well, specifically from Hunt.

I know Chubb is great and all, but Hunt is the one with the rushing title and only had a couple carries, mostly on a garbage drive to end the first half.

Shoulda went to him more imo.

7 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I mean is that more loser ball than turning the ball over twice at the 1 yard line because you can't get it in either time?

It’s a 3 point loss.

And who’s to say the 8th time wouldn’t have worked?  I mean, as absurd as that statement was to type out, it’s still true 😆 

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That is true but if you fail 3x in a row. Take your points and send a message to the offense to do better. Even worst when it’s 7x in a row. Like Freddie was literally trying everything except for iso, dive, QB sneaks, and back pylon fades

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not saying this is you, but a lot of folks imo would be complaining if he kicked it for not being aggressive.  Especially after the outcome is determined.

At what point is that not about coaching, but rather the high priced talent getting their arses beat to a man?  Like, you can’t get a yard from the one on 5 rushing attempts???

I can put plenty on coaching, but some of the blame has to be shouldered by the players.  The goal line issues were players and execution much more than coaching imo.

And as I’ve said previously, I hope to Christ we never kick a FG from the 1. 

At a certain point when your players fail to get it in 7orwhatever plays in a row, and have failed to execute in the redzone an entire season, you have to stop smashing your head into a brick wall and just get the points.  I mean throw away the redzone, our team is just flat out terrible when it needs to get 1 to 2 yards on 4th down.  I know part of it is Freddie showing he's still confident with his guys on offense, but sometimes you gotta do what's best to win the game.

I mean the fact that I think every Browns fan let out a sigh of relief when Hubbard false started on 4th down in the redzone later speaks volumes....

So I wouldn't agree with those fans at all.  The general rule of thumb is to go for it 4th and goal from the 1 or 2, but when you specifically suck in those situations you have to treat it different.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s fair.

I know Chubb is great and all, but Hunt is the one with the rushing title and only had a couple carries, mostly on a garbage drive to end the first half.

It’s really hard for me to think about taking the ball out of Chubb’s hands tho. Dude turns 1-2yard tackle for losses right now into 5-8yard gains. I caught myself a few times having instant reactions of thinking Chubb just lost a yard or two and just turned out a solid run. 

honestly I just want to see some 20 personnel plays that Oklahoma runs or at least ran with Baker. Baker killed tOSU with 2RB sets in ‘17

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s fair.

Agreed.

If they are worried about over usage certianly.

I do think Chubb is the better RB, but Hunt is more versatile.  Catching out of the backfield also.

I hope we can utilize both of them.  I like what I saw from the snipet though.  both in the backfield is an excellent thing!

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

That is true but if you fail 3x in a row. Take your points and send a message to the offense to do better. Even worst when it’s 7x in a row. Like Freddie was literally trying everything except for iso, dive, QB sneaks, and back pylon fades

They threw a fade to ObJ and he dropped it/had it broken up.

2 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

It's also not like somebody on the defense is making a great play when we get stopped on these short yardage situations, our entire line is getting annihilated consistently.

Some of it is execution though, like the drop by OBJ.

I also agreed with Lofton that Chubb had the pylon on the one run and decided to cut it back to the defense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

It’s really hard for me to think about taking the ball out of Chubb’s hands tho. Dude turns 1-2yard tackle for losses right now into 5-8yard gains. I caught myself a few times having instant reactions of thinking Chubb just lost a yard or two and just turned out a solid run. 

I get he’s really good, but one of them has a pro bowl and rushing title on their resume and it ain’t Chubb.

I’m not saying to use Chubb less, I’m saying use Hunt more.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get he’s really good, but one of them has a pro bowl and rushing title on their resume and it ain’t Chubb.

Lmao we took away such opposite things from the game.  I thought we used Hunt extremely well, who knew he could lay down blocks like that?  I don't think when the Bills saw Chubb and Hunt in the backfield they expected him to be lead blocking.  I thought Hunt's usage was something that definitely gave me a little more faith that Freddie has some idea of what he's doing.

We got him 11 touches his first game back, I'm ok with that.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 5

Yeah, I thought we used both Chubb and Hunt well. But I'd agree that I'd like to see Hunt get more carries, which hopefully he will. Having those two in the backfield at the same time gives us such an advantage and keeps defenses off balance.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get what your staying, but one has played on a PROLIFIC passing offense that allows more open running lanes starting 27 games and rushing for 2151 yards on 453 attempts for 4.7 yards per carry.

The other one has been on a team who has crowded the box MUCH more, started only 18 games, but already rushed for 1915 yards on only 366 attempts for 5.2 yards per carry.

The only reason Chubb doesn't have a pro bowl on his resume is because Jackson was too dumb to start him.

Chubb is also on pace to BLOW AWAY hunts measly 1327 rushing title single season mark.  On pace for 1,633.

I honestly believe Chubb is the better running back.

But we agree, lets not use chubb less, lets use hunt more.

And 11 touches in his first game back and first game in this offense was a good start.  I would like to see it grow from there.

• Like 2