Is Bobby Wagner on a HOF pace?

TecmoSuperJoe

Already has 4 first team all pros. Super Bowl champion. Isn't 30 yet. Barely misses tackles. I think PFF credited him with one in 2018. Linebackers can get lost in the HOF shuffle though. Zach Thomas, and Randy Gradishar, Karl Mecklenburg aren't in. Some wait a while like Harry Carson. I feel like Wagner still isn't a household name. Maybe it's because he plays in Seattle?

3 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

He’s on that pace. But I can’t help but feel Lewis, Urlacher, and Willis outclass him. 

That's no disrespect on Wagner though because those guys are the best of the best. The only guy in his class right now, if both retired would be Kuechly.

• Like 2

Its pretty hard for 4-3 LBs to make the HOF these days.  He is making a good case, but its still a toss up.   He is still pretty young, so if he can continue playing at a similar level for another 5 or so years,  I dont think they will be able to overlook him.

Just now, Forge said:

Problem for him is that he's not the only one with those type of accolades. Zach Thomas was a five time all pro and can't get in. He's going to need more time, and another all pro team or two I think

Wagner reminds me alot of London Fletcher, who wont get in.  At the very least, Wagner isnt horribly ignored like Fletcher was....so maybe he has a chance.

5 hours ago, Classic said:

That's no disrespect on Wagner though because those guys are the best of the best. The only guy in his class right now, if both retired would be Kuechly.

Would say Luke Kuechly is ahead of him right now and more likely HOF entry.

Defensive Rookie of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year and 5x First Team All Pro and 1x Second Team.

As @Forge and @FourThreeMafia have said. Think BWagz going to have to do some more in the next few years to earn a HOF spot.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Problem for him is that he's not the only one with those type of accolades. Zach Thomas was a five time all pro and can't get in. He's going to need more time, and another all pro team or two I think

Zach Thomas was exactly the guy I thought of when I saw this. Very similar accolades, and I would argue he had more competition to get those accolades in the first place.

It really just depends on how Wagner finishes his career. If he stays at this level for another 5 years, gets some more first team all-pros and is a constant pro-bowler, he'll get in. If he fades in a year or two (he is already 29), even if he's still good, he may not wind up with enough on his resume.

It does not help that while great, he's typically been second fiddle in his own defense to either Sherman or Thomas, at least in terms of public perception. It's only recently that it became his defense, and that was after that defense started fading as well. So he'll get credit for being part of the legion of boom, but not for driving it.