Our Run Defense Scheme is Broken AF

AlexGreen#20

3 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

4.7 is pretty damn close. I just dont know how you think this isnt a concern. We are daring teams to run against us and we cant stop the run lol. We are going to lose more games if Pettine continues to play his defense like this. 

More concerning to me is the opposition taking time off the clock running the ball against the Packers.  Having 7-8 minute drives keeps our offense off the field and eventually wears down our defense.  Early this season when our offense was still in it's "learning" curve our defense won us some games.  For whatever reason, our scheme has changed the past 3-4 games.   We can't score if we don't have the ball.  Pettine ... figure it out man; you've gotten huge resources in free agency and the draft for 2 years now.  Absolutely no reason to not game plan better than this! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, deathstar said:

Literally the only problem with our pass defense is giving up occasional big plays. Think overlooking those in favor of run defense is “amateur hour”, whatever that means.

Because it has had a marginal effect on whether we win or lose a game. Hey I’m not saying that it’s nothing. To my original point it’s just funny that we only see these threads to complain about some aspect of the team. 

We're 25th in the league in NY/A throwing

We're 24 in the league in yards per rush

We're 29th in the league in yards per play overall

We're 32nd in the league in defensive penalty yards

If we weren't 6th in Red Zone percentage, we would be getting our ***** beat. 

32 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Kindly move along, nothing to see here.

Just the occasional big play allowed. 

Everyone just needs more of this here Green  and Gold Kool aid. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Oh. So we aren’t getting our *** beat?

35 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Kindly move along, nothing to see here.

Just the occasional big play allowed. 

Everyone just needs more of this here Green  and Gold Kool aid. 

Not sure why it needs to be stated but we’re also 8th in TDs allowed and 6th in interceptions forced. 11th in points allowed. But no tell me more about how we are terrible.

4 hours ago, deathstar said:

Literally the only problem with our pass defense is giving up occasional big plays. Think overlooking those in favor of run defense is “amateur hour”, whatever that means.

Because it has had a marginal effect on whether we win or lose a game. Hey I’m not saying that it’s nothing. To my original point it’s just funny that we only see these threads to complain about some aspect of the team. 

Our defense is 29th in QBR rating against the last 4 games. I'd say the problem is literally more than the occasional big play. 

Just now, deathstar said:

Not sure why it needs to be stated but we’re also 8th in TDs allowed and 6th in interceptions forced. 11th in points allowed. But no tell me more about how we are terrible.

Go watch the 2011 season and you'll know why

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Our defense is 29th in QBR rating against the last 4 games. I'd say the problem is literally more than the occasional big play. 

Have we only played four games this year?

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Go watch the 2011 season and you'll know why

What are you talking about? Do you believe this defense is at all comparable to a defense that set league records for most yards given up?

16 minutes ago, deathstar said:

What are you talking about? Do you believe this defense is at all comparable to a defense that set league records for most yards given up?

They are called trends. If Derek Carr and Matt Moore can carve up this defense, what do you think is going to happen in the playoffs ? The Chargers couldn't get 40 yards rushing in forever. They get 160 against the Packers. That's 2011 esque. This stuff isn't rocket science.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

Looking at our D calls, and the redzone success of this team this year, our issue is mostly philosophy in between the 20s. If we are playing a small lineup, giving a free gap every play, and not winning first down we are going to be giving up a lot of yards on the ground. I'm cool with this philosophy in general, since it has worked (low in points allowed, extending drives means more opportunity for negative plays killing drives, our offense is typically going to score 24-30 points so analytically over 12 drives we should win our games, which we have.  The concerning thing though the combination of soft coverage and big plays in the passing game recently.

40 minutes ago, cannondale said:

They are called trends. If Derek Carr and Matt Moore can carve up this defense, what do you think is going to happen in the playoffs ? The Chargers couldn't get 40 yards rushing in forever. They get 160 against the Packers. That's 2011 esque. This stuff isn't rocket science.

I see. This thread is for hyperbole.

Look there’s a lot of things this team needs to work on. But there’s a trend on this board from several people who feel the need to focus on the negative and cast anyone who doesn’t in the role of koolaid drinkers. That’s weird and just as subjective as anyone who only sees positives.

Just now, deathstar said:

Look there’s a lot of things this team needs to work on. But there’s a trend on this board from several people who feel the need to focus on the negative and cast anyone who doesn’t in the role of koolaid drinkers. That’s weird and just as subjective as anyone who only sees positives.

We routinely gave up first downs thanks to incoherent alignments. 

This isn't hyperbole. The evidence is above.

18 hours ago, deathstar said:

Without addressing the actual content, it’s funny that we only see these types of threads when there’s a perceived failing on our team. 

Sure looks like you are disputing the point @AlexGreen#20is trying to show.

18 hours ago, deathstar said:

14 hours ago, deathstar said:

It’s 2019, should we care if teams run the ball? I thought passing is exponentially more important.

Looks like a counterpoint is the discussion.  Akin to disputing the original point being raised.

11 hours ago, deathstar said:

We lost vs LA bc our offense could do nothing and caused our D to get gassed.

We aren’t giving up 5+ yards per carry. Should we ignore all of the data that says stopping the pass is more important?

5 hours ago, deathstar said:

Now deflecting to the occasional big play given up in the passing game.

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

15 minutes ago, deathstar said:

3 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Sure is, dude. At zero point have I disputed that.

33 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Sure looks like you are disputing the point @AlexGreen#20is trying to show.

Looks like a counterpoint is the discussion.  Akin to disputing the original point being raised.

Now deflecting to the occasional big play given up in the passing game.

Can you please break down how “Without addressing the actual content, it’s funny that we only see these types of threads when there’s a perceived failing on our team” is me disputing that we have a bad run defense?