Week 10 GDT: Atlanta Falcons (1-7) vs. New Orleans Saints (7-1) - Return of the Jedi

Canadian Saint

Rest, relaxation and maintenance. For the Saints, the BYE was less 'fix the mistakes for the rest of the season' but rather heal up, plan ahead and get ready for the final stretch. New Orleans enters the last half of the NFL season as super bowl contenders. Heck, anything less than a superbowl berth seems like a failure. We've faced adversity the first half of the season, and this team has overcome it with flying colors. In front of us stand the corpse of the once NFC south contender, the Atlanta Falcons. The word disaster isn't strong enough to describe their season. Their vaunted D looks pee wee level. Their offense is pop gun quality. Worst of all, it seems the lockerroom has quit on the head coach. The problem for the Saints? All that goes out the window when it comes to a rivalry. 

Coaches corner:

- Interesting to see how Payton divides the carries between Kamara and Murray. Murray stepped up in a big way in Kamara's absence, probably allowing AK to take his time with injury. With our lack of bringing in a WR at the trade deadline, I wonder if we'll line up Kamara in the slot more. What do you guys think?

- With TE Jared Cook healthy again, it will be interesting to see if him and Brees can develop some chemistry and he can make an impact. Before his injury, he was slowly but surely making an impact. Will be interesting to see if he pick up where he left off.

- WR Michael Thomas is having a banner year. He's on pace to beat the receptions record. Interesting to see if the Falcons can slow him down.

- Surprisingly, NFL.com has a good article on DA and the D: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001074223/article/dennis-allens-star-rising-again-with-saints-defensive-turnaround Good chance we might be looking for a new DC in the offseason.

Prediction:

The chasm in quality between the Saints and the Falcons is too large this year.

Saints win 28-3.

19 hours ago, tyler735 said:

So I know a lot of posters seem to try and be modest on here going into most games, but I'm just gonna say it...The Falcons are about to get destroyed and it is going to be glorious to watch.

If only the world was fair.

By all rights, we should put up a 50 burger.  But if there is one thing Atlanta can do, it's score.  It could wind up being a rather close shootout.  

I remember in 2011, we beat the Colts 62-7.  The next week we played the Rams, who hadn't even scored 62 points all season.  

I'm always worried about a "trap game" but I don't see that happening with this group of leaders.
Brees, Thomas, Jordan, Davis among others. These guys have their eyes on a prize that's bigger than most can appreciate, and I think they'll stay focused.

As we know, the Falcons would love to play spoiler. I just don't think they have the talent.

We all know the Saints would love to earn home field advantage throughout the playoffs, and that job starts today!!

Saints 35 - 13

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm always worried about a "trap game" but I don't see that happening with this group of leaders.
Brees, Thomas, Jordan, Davis among others. These guys have their eyes on a prize that's bigger than most can appreciate, and I think they'll stay focused.

As we know, the Falcons would love to play spoiler. I just don't think they have the talent.

We all know the Saints would love to earn home field advantage throughout the playoffs, and that job starts today!!

Saints 35 - 13

I would hope this team doesn't fall into trap games, considering the way it's been battle tested the last few years with largely the same roster.  This team should know not to take anything for granted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

If only the world was fair.

By all rights, we should put up a 50 burger.  But if there is one thing Atlanta can do, it's score.  It could wind up being a rather close shootout.  

I remember in 2011, we beat the Colts 62-7.  The next week we played the Rams, who hadn't even scored 62 points all season.  

While I get what you're saying we certainly have had some blunders over the years. I don't think this Saints team is going to take the Falcons lightly. I think this is going to be a statement game coming off a bye with Kamara back ready to go along with Brees who has to be more amped than usual with all this time off waiting to get regular game time the past several months. Our defense is also the best it has been since I started watching the Saints, which should be a major difference between this team compared with Saints teams of years prior falling into these trap games.

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

While I get what you're saying we certainly have had some blunders over the years. I don't think this Saints team is going to take the Falcons lightly. I think this is going to be a statement game coming off a bye with Kamara back ready to go along with Brees who has to be more amped than usual with all this time off waiting to get regular game time the past several months. Our defense is also the best it has been since I started watching the Saints, which should be a major difference between this team compared with Saints teams of years prior falling into these trap games.

I hope so.  These are the games we absolutely cannot lose if we want home field advantage.  That Rams loss in 2011 may have cost us a superbowl.