would it be hard to pass on Burrow?

LoganF89

20 hours ago, Slateman said:

Is Snyder going to allow an objective appraisal of Haskins? Because objectively speaking,  Haskins wouldnt be a first round pick in this draft.

Scouts, Inc., as just one example, had Haskins rated as a 90 — equal to the rating they gave Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield, and higher than the ratings they gave other recent 1st round QBs Watson, Trubisky, Mahomes, Lynch, and Jackson. He was #7 on Kiper’s board last year, had a Round 1 projection and the 15th highest rating (not adjusted for position) from NFL.com, the #10 spot on PFF’s rankings, #14 on Sporting News, a low #25 from Gil Brandt (with the caveat that he believed someone would trade up into the top 10 to draft him), the #1 QB ranking from Scott Wright, #18 from Yahoo, etc. He was plainly a legit 1st round prospect in the eye of most of the publicly available expert evaluations.

And if you’re comparing him to the top prospects of this upcoming draft, based on what’s occurred this season — while he’s in the NFL and they’re still playing against college defense — I think that’s pretty fallacious. If Haskins had stayed in college, he’d be putting up more huge numbers on the #1 team in the country, and his prospect status would be even higher (due just to more experience, if nothing else).

Guys like Herbert and Burrow (and probably Tua as well) also would be struggling at this level, so punishing him for that while crediting them for dominating at a level he already dominated seems inequitable to me. He was clearly better than Herbert last season, when they were both playing at the same level, and he beat out Burrow for the OSU spot. To say those guys would be locks as 1st rounders and Haskins wouldn’t (after a rough first half-season at the highest level) seems like a lot of recency bias to me. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I still have no idea where the “Haskins wasn’t a first rounder” came from? Considering he was penciled in as a top 10 pick the moment he announced his decision all of this other stuff seems disingenuous.  

I’m fine if an individual person says they didn’t think he was worth a 1st rounder. Everybody has their own evaluation, and it doesn’t always match the “consensus” view. I didn’t think Drew Lock was a 1st rounder for example, even though lots of people disagreed. 

But I'm with you — this guy was a consensus top 2-3 QB, and he was viewed by pretty much everyone as a likely top 10-15 pick (if not higher). Any suggestion that he wasn’t considered a legit 1st round selection isn’t fairly depicting the public opinion at the time of the draft. 

37 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Scouts, Inc., as just one example, had Haskins rated as a 90 — equal to the rating they gave Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield, and higher than the ratings they gave other recent 1st round QBs Watson, Trubisky, Mahomes, Lynch, and Jackson. He was #7 on Kiper’s board last year, had a Round 1 projection and the 15th highest rating (not adjusted for position) from NFL.com, the #10 spot on PFF’s rankings, #14 on Sporting News, a low #25 from Gil Brandt (with the caveat that he believed someone would trade up into the top 10 to draft him), the #1 QB ranking from Scott Wright, #18 from Yahoo, etc. He was plainly a legit 1st round prospect in the eye of most of the publicly available expert evaluations.

And if you’re comparing him to the top prospects of this upcoming draft, based on what’s occurred this season — while he’s in the NFL and they’re still playing against college defense — I think that’s pretty fallacious. If Haskins had stayed in college, he’d be putting up more huge numbers on the #1 team in the country, and his prospect status would be even higher (due just to more experience, if nothing else).

Guys like Herbert and Burrow (and probably Tua as well) also would be struggling at this level, so punishing him for that while crediting them for dominating at a level he already dominated seems inequitable to me. He was clearly better than Herbert last season, when they were both playing at the same level, and he beat out Burrow for the OSU spot. To say those guys would be locks as 1st rounders and Haskins wouldn’t (after a rough first half-season at the highest level) seems like a lot of recency bias to me. 

Yeah Haskins played amazing I do believe another year of just the confidence of walking around OSU he’s probably the top pick this year. The guy had 50 TD’s!!! Those are Cam and RG numbers without the legs. Haskins has talent. Let’s not fault him for not growing on the very fertile to player development fields of The Redskins Farm!!! Burrow is a very good player. So is Tua and Herbert. But I had haskins head and shoulders over Herbert and looking at last year to this year I still don’t have a higher grade on Haskins then I have on Herbert. I go into next Season with him unless as I mentioned he’s seeing ghosts and throwing the Ball to the defense constantly and not improving on reads.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m fine if an individual person says they didn’t think he was worth a 1st rounder. Everybody has their own evaluation, and it doesn’t always match the “consensus” view. I didn’t think Drew Lock was a 1st rounder for example, even though lots of people disagreed. 

But I'm with you — this guy was a consensus top 2-3 QB, and he was viewed by pretty much everyone as a likely top 10-15 pick (if not higher). Any suggestion that he wasn’t considered a legit 1st round selection isn’t fairly depicting the public opinion at the time of the draft. 

I had a pretty bad grade with Lock. I’ve never graded a player with less then 60% completion rate in college over a mid 2nd. Good decion making and accuracy don’t tend to improve for Young QB’s in the NFL with struggles in college

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, MikeT14 said:
20 hours ago, Woz said:

No respectable coaching candidate will come here.

I still think there's a small but too large to not notice chance that Bill Callahan is the 2020 coach. 

I think that stays in line with my original point.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:
20 hours ago, Woz said:

No respectable coaching candidate will come here.

That changes if Bruce is gone. So yeah, it’s not changing. 

Not sure it does even if Brice is given the heave-ho.

1. Even if Brice is fired, is he actually gone or is it the Ceratto-in-the-shadows scenario?
  2. Even if Brice is fired and is completely disconnected from this franchise, would any top flight coaching candidate want to come to the merry-go-poop-around that is Washington? If Snyder couldn't keep out of Gibbs and Shanahan's way, why would he not meddle with any other candidate?