Alabama missing the playoffs

viper952

19 hours ago, buno67 said:

Playing 8 conference games also just beefs up the teams records and than rankings. If you play that 9th game that means at least half the conference gets an extra loss. You schedule only 8 and fill in with a FCS team, it over inflates you. Over inflated rankings and then people think your awesome cause your beating overrated teams

PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s true man, it’s one more tougher opponent, because it’s not a gimme FCS teams.  Especially when it’s a cross division team, a team you don’t play all that often. One more loss in the mid part of the season is prolly worth at least 5 lower spots in the rankings. That is half the conference. You now get a mid season bye week where some voters reward you for not losing even tho you are facing a FCS team.  Where teams ahead of you are facing another conference game. Hell, I bet you PSU wish they had an FCS opponent this last week instead of facing Minny for the first time in 3 years. 

you think tOSU would have loved to not have faced the likes of say a Purdue or Iowa the past two years mid season and instead got the likes of Youngstown State instead. 

They gotta set a common standard for all conferences or at least the power 5 conferences. They either all face 9 conference games or 8. It shouldn’t be separate rules for separate conferences. Because playing 8 has an advantage over 9 conference games. Same way with Big12, gotta have divisions like the rest of the power 5 or no power 5 has divisions

Edited by buno67

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

It’s true man, it’s one more tougher opponent, because it’s not a gimme FCS teams.  Especially when it’s a cross division team, a team you don’t play all that often. One more loss in the mid part of the season is prolly worth at least 5 lower spots in the rankings. That is half the conference. You now get a mid season bye week where some voters reward you for not losing even tho you are facing a FCS team.  Where teams ahead of you are facing another conference game. Hell, I bet you PSU wish they had an FCS opponent this last week instead of facing Minny for the first time in 3 years. 

you think tOSU would have loved to not have faced the likes of say a Purdue or Iowa the past two years mid season and instead got the likes of Youngstown State instead. 

They gotta set a common standard for all conferences or at least the power 5 conferences. They either all face 9 conference games or 8. It shouldn’t be separate rules for separate conferences. Because playing 8 has an advantage over 9 conference games. Same way with Big12, gotta have divisions like the rest of the power 5 or no power 5 has divisions

I can live with the no divisions for the Big12 since they only have 10 teams and they have 9 conference games.  I think the 8 conference games is the biggest load of crock there is.

2 hours ago, Raves said:

I can live with the no divisions for the Big12 since they only have 10 teams and they have 9 conference games.  I think the 8 conference games is the biggest load of crock there is.

See I say that because you look at ‘16. If it was big 12 style, tOSU gets a 2nd crack at PSU at Neutral site. They potentially win the Big10 and avenge their only loss. Also forces them to pick up more members 

or just expand the playoffs so conference winners are in and you don’t have to worry what the other conferences do. Right now they gotta judge everyone on an even playing field but they don’t

Edited by buno67

On 11/9/2019 at 9:37 PM, Ragnarok said:

if Bama wins out, they will get put in the playoff.  Bottom line.

They shouldn't. They don't have any quality wins and they have a loss of their schedule. Are we now going to be letting teams in by reputation? Minnesota's quality of wins have been just as impressive...and they don't have a loss. Not saying that Minnesota should be there...but Bama most definitely shouldn't be there. They should have put together a competent schedule.

On 11/10/2019 at 9:09 AM, MookieMonstah said:

Clemson hasn’t played anyone that could sniff LSU jock strap. LSU is the best team in the country IMO. If you’re going to hold Bamas schedule against them, you best have the same energy for Clemson who will literally play 0 good teams this season.

Clemson hasn't lost a game. Bama has. If Clemson had lost a game...certainly Bama would be in before them...but this isn't fantasy land.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

I don't think thats what I said at all?

Clemson hasn’t played anyone that could sniff LSU jock strap. LSU is the best team in the country IMO. If you’re going to hold Bamas schedule against them, you best have the same energy for Clemson who will literally play 0 good teams this season.

Your argument is quoted. My argument is that Clemson's schedule will (or at least should) be held against them, just like it will (or at least should) be held against Bama...but the big difference being that Bama has a loss on their record when Clemson does not...

36 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:
2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

I don't think thats what I said at all?

Your argument is quoted. My argument is that Clemson's schedule will (or at least should) be held against them, just like it will (or at least should) be held against Bama...but the big difference being that Bama has a loss on their record when Clemson does not...

It's about how you responded that is probably the concern.  If you look at my post previously on his comment, I pointed out that we've all agreed Clemson has a weak schedule and that if they lose they are out of the playoffs, and due to Alabama's schedule since they now have a loss, they should also be considered out of the playoffs unless something drastic happens, even if we think they are one of the top 4 teams, due to their schedule.  He understood and agreed with that line of thinking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Yeah, I’m not saying Bama should get in over Clemson. I just feel like Clemson, in the public eye, hasn’t been given fair criticism for arguably the weakest schedule in the country for a legit program. Bama obviously doesn’t control its own destiny.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Yeah, I’m not saying Bama should get in over Clemson. I just feel like Clemson, in the public eye, hasn’t been given fair criticism for arguably the weakest schedule in the country for a legit program. Bama obviously doesn’t control its own destiny.

Clemson is the team that should be using the Alabama excuse!

Clemson played TAMU (Alabama's most impressive win) out of conference. Clemson went out and scheduled what was thought to be a fairly strong SEC team in order to boost their SOS.

Clemson took steps to make up for their garbage conference schedule. It didn't work out. Alabama didn't even attempt to do so. If anything, Alabama should be ridiculed more for scheduling Mercer, New Mexico State, Duke, and whatever the **** WCU is.

Also,  Alabama was ranked ahead if Clemson in the last poll despite neither having played anybody. Clearly they're getting some attention. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Clemson is the team that should be using the Alabama excuse!

Clemson played TAMU (Alabama's most impressive win) out of conference. Clemson went out and scheduled what was thought to be a fairly strong SEC team in order to boost their SOS.

Clemson took steps to make up for their garbage conference schedule. It didn't work out. Alabama didn't even attempt to do so. If anything, Alabama should be ridiculed more for scheduling Mercer, New Mexico State, Duke, and whatever the **** WCU is.

Also,  Alabama was ranked ahead if Clemson in the last poll despite neither having played anybody. Clearly they're getting some attention. 

Those are actually some good points. I had forgotten just how bad that out of conference schedule was for Bama. They really don’t have any good wins on the resume. Ultimately, they are probably a top four team as far as talent. But their resume will not show it. Where they end up being ranked in the end will depend strictly on how much the committee cares about resume as a opposed to the eye test. I think that will say a lot about whether it is worth scheduling good teams or not. If you allow teams into the playoffs that don’t beat anyone good, and lose their one big game, what is the purpose of a team scheduling good opponents? At least win your conference and I think there’s a strong argument. In the end, I do think the committee will still put Alabama in the top four in the end, based on what we all know about them as a team. It’s an interesting conversation to be had.

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Those are actually some good points. I had forgotten just how bad that out of conference schedule was for Bama. They really don’t have any good wins on the resume. Ultimately, they are probably a top four team as far as talent. But their resume will not show it. Where they end up being ranked in the end will depend strictly on how much the committee cares about resume as a opposed to the eye test. I think that will say a lot about whether it is worth scheduling good teams or not. If you allow teams into the playoffs that don’t beat anyone good, and lose their one big game, what is the purpose of a team scheduling good opponents? At least win your conference and I think there’s a strong argument. In the end, I do think the committee will still put Alabama in the top four in the end, based on what we all know about them as a team. It’s an interesting conversation to be had.

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

It's going to come down to television audiences and Alabama will have that so they'll get in despite being having a worse resume than the other 1 loss teams. 

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's going to come down to television audiences and Alabama will have that so they'll get in despite being having a worse resume than the other 1 loss teams. 

It’s just weird to gauge with the committee is going to do year to year.  Like with 2015 Ohio State, they were the same roster that won the national championship the season before and were arguably the best team in the country. Everyone knew it. But when they lost a game that they couldn’t afford to lose against Michigan State, they didn’t win their conference and didn’t make the playoffs. It made sense and I don’t think many people had an argument against it. But when the tables turn as the seasons go and the committee does different things, it’s hard to know what to predict.

Honestly, this is the perfect system as it is. Why? Because it’s all about money. Nobody knows what to predict, so there is intrigue. We have people watching a weekly show on ESPN, because nobody knows what things are going to look like. As long as there is a controversial system that brings in revenue, why change.